• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Cerebus 1 a more valuable key than Hulk 181? Really Overstreet? Poll on Page 87
3 3

1,571 posts in this topic

9 hours ago, PhilipB2k17 said:

How old are you? I've been collecting since the late 70's. I was there when it became popular. It was 100% because it was billed as the 1st appearance of Wolverine. Not because everyone just loved the story, which was effing stupid. Wolvy shows up and fights Hulk and Wendigo. So what? 

I started collecting then as well and 181 was always the more desirable book because it featured Wolverine for more than a single panel and he's on the cover.

I never understood why people get all bent out of shape over terms like cameo, first appearance, first full appearance etc etc

The people who rail against 181 always strike me as people who own 180 and just want it to be worth more (shrug)

12 hours ago, marmat said:

I have no dog in this race, but "the first appearance" of a character it's just that, simply the first time that a character appears printed on paper in the context of a story.

Does Wolverine APPEARS in the last page of IH 180? Yes

Is it the FIRST time that Wolverine appears printed on paper in the context of a story? Yes

Then , IH 180 is the first appearance of Wolverine.

All the value, desirability, investment, speculation arguments are a different story and we can keep discussing them at infinitum

What can not be argued in any way is that Wolverine appeared for the very first time in the last page of IH 180. 

Well no. The very first time? Marvel Premiere 19, Thor 229, Daredevil 115. First time in a story Hulk 180.

4 minutes ago, FlyingDonut said:

Well no. The very first time? Marvel Premiere 19, Thor 229, Daredevil 115. First time in a story Hulk 180.

No, ads are not appearances and even if they were, ads for 181 did not predate 180.

Actually, none of the Wolverine house ads even predated 181. Daredevil was released simultaneously with Hulk 181, Thor was a week later, and MP was a month later.

5 minutes ago, FlyingDonut said:

No, IH 180 shipped out prior to anything you mentioned - those house ads were for 181.  The little magnifying glass shows the LOC ship dates which I believe is what most people accept.   

http://www.mikesamazingworld.com/features/newsstand.php?publisher=marvel&type=calendar&month=7&year=1974&sort=alpha

10 hours ago, CoughCough said:

And where in that post did it say "today"?

Again. This concedes my point that it's mostly based on speculation rather than quality. 

And to the other poster, I actually don't care about 180's value. It seems just as, if not more, likely to be that 181 owners are desperately trying to keep that bubble inflated. 

Edited by PhilipB2k17

1 hour ago, CoughCough said:

If you don't care about 180s value, then why are you being such a dooshbag about it? Can't admit you're wrong?

I'm just stating my opinion. If I'm wrong, then why does anyone care what I think? Keep on going about your merry way inflating that 181 bubble.

Hulk # 180 is indeed his first appearance.

Where the market put the emphasis on 181 is not just story but the lack of Woverine on the cover of the preceding issue.

Esp. now, in this CGC-dominated culture, if Wolverine were on the cover 180, this would not even be an issue.

Kind of like how it's exhausting explaining to people that Werewolf 37 isn't Moon Knight's 3rd appearance because he's not actually in the issue. But he's on the cover, so that's all that matters.

Thank god people haven't been stockpiling Hulk # 359 because Wolverine's on the cover, and drawn by Byrne no less (but again, not actually in the issue).

11 hours ago, PhilipB2k17 said:

Again. This concedes my point that it's mostly based on speculation rather than quality. 

And to the other poster, I actually don't care about 180's value. It seems just as, if not more, likely to be that 181 owners are desperately trying to keep that bubble inflated. 

lol

I'd hardly call it a "bubble".

35 minutes ago, PhilipB2k17 said:

You don't think Hulk 181 in in the midst of a bubble right now? :roflmao:

It's only been the more relevant book for the last 30+ years lol

It's good work you're doing :golfclap:

1 hour ago, ADAMANTIUM said:

Why can't they both be important? 180 and 181? :shy:

Exactly! I look at it like both books are a companion to each other. 180- 1st app., 181- 1st full story. You need to have both for a Wolverine fan.

16 minutes ago, oakman29 said:

Exactly! I look at it like both books are a companion to each other. 180- 1st app., 181- 1st full story. You need to have both for a Wolverine fan.

I have never owned a 180 and I sleep like a baby lol