• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

AF 15 CGC 5.5 on eBay yesterday

53 posts in this topic

I saw the listing when it was up and was stunned by the seller's asking price. I knew right away it was a scam as it was too good to be true. If the seller had any recent high dollar comic book sales, then I would have hit it the BIN price. But after looking at his feedback regardless of how many positives he has, I knew right there and then that it was indeed a scam.

for folks that don't understand why the scammers put such low prices...they do that to entice folks to "think" they don't know what they have, and to get them to react and buy (and pay) quickly (so someone doesn't come after and offer more, etc, and steal their "steal" out from under them), allowing greed to cloud common sense

However , these people don't use better judgement.. If someone went out of their way to GRADE the book, they "should" know (more or less) what the book sells for.. Which is not $15,000 below gpa ... 2c

Are purchases of this size covered by eBay buyer protection program? Because that helps to cloud the common sense, if it becomes a "no-downside" transaction.

I believe paypal covers up to 10k on a single transaction. Hence why these scams are pretty much always below 10 k.

-J.

:takeit: ... :facepalm:

I didn't see this thread until today, which is kinda funny I suppose. I am the one who took a chance and pulled the trigger on this book, and you won't believe this, but it was indeed a scam! haha.

I figured it was too good to be true, but thought that if there was even a 2% chance it was legit that it was worth taking a shot.

Thank goodness for Buyer Protection (of course, I never would have taken this gamble without it!)

I didn't see this thread until today, which is kinda funny I suppose. I am the one who took a chance and pulled the trigger on this book, and you won't believe this, but it was indeed a scam! haha.

I figured it was too good to be true, but thought that if there was even a 2% chance it was legit that it was worth taking a shot.

Thank goodness for Buyer Protection (of course, I never would have taken this gamble without it!)

You may have been suspicious, but when/how did you know for sure? Did they ship you an empty box or something?

So, just out of curiosity, how tough was it to get your money back?

Should have it back within the next 5 days. Had to call Ebay, which is never the easiest thing in the world, but not too bad.

You know, if I see another AF 15 CGC 5.5 up for sale for 6999.00 tomorrow, I will probably pull the trigger on that one too. I can't help myself

I still don't understand why scammers bother.

With Paypal, you will get your money back if it's a scam. Sure, you might be inconvenienced but Paypal will come good. If they don't, you can always call your CC company and ask for a chargeback (you all pay with CC right?)

As for the scammer, they have a very very small window with which to get the fund out or to use it for something else.

Unless I'm missing the point, why do scammers bother?

I still don't understand why scammers bother.

With Paypal, you will get your money back if it's a scam. Sure, you might be inconvenienced but Paypal will come good. If they don't, you can always call your CC company and ask for a chargeback (you all pay with CC right?)

As for the scammer, they have a very very small window with which to get the fund out or to use it for something else.

Unless I'm missing the point, why do scammers bother?

The small window might be big enough.

How did you know it was a scam? I assume it could take time to arrive, and the seller could come up with excuses to stall.