• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

BIG APPLE CON 20TH ANNIVERSARY! Penn Plaza Pavilion, NYC, March 7 2015

63 posts in this topic

I plan on going to drop off some books with cgc and maybe get a little OA or a slab or two.

Anyone else attending?

I cannot decide if I am more excited about the show or the chicken thai zesto sandwich from Cafe Europa 2 blocks down 7th avenue. I get that every time I go to the big apple or nycc!

Then maybe off to washington square park! ;-)

I plan on going to drop off some books with cgc and maybe get a little OA or a slab or two.

Anyone else attending?

I cannot decide if I am more excited about the show or the chicken thai zesto sandwich from Cafe Europa 2 blocks down 7th avenue. I get that every time I go to the big apple or nycc!

I usually brown bag it to save time, but now ya got me thinking.... hm

Anyone else attending?

If you venture a bit further uptown (in the 40's) and a bit further west to 9th ave, there are a ton of great little restaurants there.

It was packed and stifling hot, which led me to leave quite early. I regretted that on the drive home, but what can you do? Glad to see them have a good show though.

I did get an Amy Reeder sketch of Batwoman and 2 signed copies of Rocket Girl.

Then I traded with Anthony Snyder - OA page for Dr Strange 179 9.0.

Had a nice time, considering i did not stay long. Nice turn out, but the tight spaces were not practical to take wall pics :( (sorry). I did stop by Metro's booth (thanks for bringing the book for me guys!) Said hello to Vincent (right in the middle of a deal) who manged to shake my hand and remark "You look good" (makes me ponder just how long i have been doing business with him -since his pre Metro days!!). Also said hello to Zack and Frank, always gracious, and i will get out to the new show room soon guys!

Also saw Harley, Ted , Tomorrows Treasures, and a host of others.

And i FINALLY submitted my Aquaman #35 to CGC. My grade is 9.0. I'll see what they thought when it gets back. :wishluck:

It was fun but ungodly hot. Not the best of venues for sure. Ended up spending more than I had planned but picked up some nice books.
if i had known you were going, I'd like to have met you! Next NY show maybe?

It was fun but ungodly hot. Not the best of venues for sure. Ended up spending more than I had planned but picked up some nice books.
if i had known you were going, I'd like to have met you! Next NY show maybe?

Let's try for it. My schedule can be erratic. I wasn't positive until this morning I could make the show. Only got there mid afternoon.

Overall I would rate the show a VF-. It's time to go to a nicer, less claustrophobic venue with higher ceilings to permit better ventilation. Given that it was freezing outside, the heat didn't bother me. Lots of good dealers with deals to be had. I bought from Metro (thanks as always Frank, Rob, Brandon and Vince), Richie Muchin, Gus at Silver Age Comics, and another dealer with tons of well-priced Bronze. The CGC desk as usual was swamped with submissions, but a kudo to Molly.

The one thing I noticed was that low- to lower-grade -- and thus "affordable" -- SA mega keys were, generally speaking, hard to find. Mid-grade SA mega keys were relatively plentiful. Some tougher DC SA books that have now caught fire from movie hype were also hard to find. To sum up the seller's market atmosphere as described by one dealer, "I've never seen it like this."

I had a blast! It did get very hot though, and having the heat on in the room didn't help. A big thanks for Vinny and the guys at Metropolis for making my show. The back isles need better organization though. Too many people pouring into a small area leads to chaos. Also it would be great if they had a place for people to sit down and grab a bite, but space is tight.

It was great to meet some board members and chat about comics! I sold two major books and bought parts to a golden age book.

Had a great time. Stopped by the new Metro the evening before. Just 'wow'.

Met up with Columbia Comics in the morning, met several boardies throughout the day. Nice to put a face with Foolkiller and a few others. Chatted with Roy and had lunch with Brock at Katz deli before we headed back to the show.

Picked up a few books, nothing crazy. However the highlight of the actual show for me was heading to meet Larry Hama. Asked him for a Snake Eyes sketch which he crafted. Later on, I found a pretty nice copy of GI Joe 21 on the floor, I picked that up and asked Mr. Hama to sign it. It's off to CGC for a quick press and to be entombed in a yellow label slab.

My Snake Eyes sketch?

3a0f7b5b-bab1-44a1-b003-e09ba29e2b85.jpg