• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

FF 67 or Thor 165?

173 posts in this topic

I got two solid VFs in my sales thread... :)

I saw that! They are nice, but not quite what I'm looking for right yet. I was tempted though.

No problem. Had to work in my shameless plug. lol

Just bought a MP #1 today, so clearly the answer is that.

In all seriousness though, I think Premiere #1 slightly edges out 165 on best looking cover.

If the Warlock drawn on that cover stood up straight and put his hands down at his side, his hands would be below his knees. His arms are awkwardly long on that cover.

In all seriousness though, I think Premiere #1 slightly edges out 165 on best looking cover.

If the Warlock drawn on that cover stood up straight and put his hands down at his side, his hands would be below his knees. His arms are awkwardly long on that cover.

Isn't it a trick of perspective? His arms are held out from his body.

Perspective is foreSHORTENING not foreLENGTHENING

Perspective is foreSHORTENING not foreLENGTHENING

Well, I don't mean like, "towards" the reader, I meant out to the side of his body, which would give the viewer a much "longer" view of the inside of the arms.

Looking at it online now, I don't even know if this makes sense to me. I'm not an artist myself, so your point is probably correct either way.

It still looks good and if we're gonna nitpick comic artists exaggerating well we got our work cut out for us, starting with the Hulk...

I don't see any of this as an argument per se, just a nice discussion on the merits between a few selected books.

I like 'em all, some a bit better than others.

It's a good thread and one of the reasons boards like this exist.

For sure, the market place values come into the discussion as an interesting note, and I guess enough opinions can affect the price of a book, which is also interesting in itself.

Kav and others are right, Thor 165 has a great cover, and so has Marvel Premier 1. They look very nice in a mylar or slab.

When the books were coming out, the FF 67 cover was really good too, in that the mystery had been building up as to what was in the cocoon. Picking the book out of the rack, my friends and I couldn't wait to see what finally awaited us inside the book, and the cocoon. Very effective.

In a classic sense the FF 67 cover is awesome in that the cover was supposed to tease and draw new and returning readers into the contents of the story.

To be regarded as a pinup with no connection to book content; maybe not so much.

Many comic book covers served a different purpose back then.

I don't see any of this as an argument per se, just a nice discussion on the merits between a few selected books.

I like 'em all, some a bit better than others.

It's a good thread and one of the reasons boards like this exist.

For sure, the market place values come into the discussion as an interesting note, and I guess enough opinions can affect the price of a book, which is also interesting in itself.

Kav and others are right, Thor 165 has a great cover, and so has Marvel Premier 1. They look very nice in a mylar or slab.

When the books were coming out, the FF 67 cover was really good too, in that the mystery had been building up as to what was in the cocoon. Picking the book out of the rack, my friends and I couldn't wait to see what finally awaited us inside the book, and the cocoon. Very effective.

In a classic sense the FF 67 cover is awesome in that the cover was supposed to tease and draw new and returning readers into the contents of the story.

To be regarded as a pinup with no connection to book content; maybe not so much.

Many comic book covers served a different purpose back then.

All good points. And I think the thread got away from the original question a little bit, but I think that is OK too.

I know my big wall of text post was more of an argument for the 'history' of the character. It seems like a lot of people want to dismiss / forget / don't care about much prior to MP #1. I find that puzzling as those beginnings resonate so strongly all the way through his meeting with the High Evolutionary and his involvement on Counter Earth and right into the "possible future" of the Church of the True Believer.

I know I personally would view a lot of the character's motivations in a totally different light without understanding where he came from.

If you read FF's or most of the books the last page was just a teaser to bring back the reader for the next issue.

Galactus

Black bolt

Him ect.

It's like a serial ending in a cliffhanger.

Jack knew how to pace a story and bring back the reader for more.

CGC has it right…

FF # 67 = Origin and 1st appearance of Him (Warlock) in cameo...on last page

Thor # 165 = 1st full appearance of Him (Warlock)

Marvel Premiere # 1 = Origin of Warlock

The market has it right...CGC 9.4s for example:

FF # 67 = $800

Thor # 165 = $1,100

Marvel Premiere # 1 = $400

249-artwork-focus.jpg