• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

FF 67 or Thor 165?

173 posts in this topic

That's weird then that the Thor book is the hot book

Probably a cover thing like Hulk 181

First cover with Warlock

FF # 67 = first appearance of Him (cameo)

Thor # 165 = first full appearance of Him

Marvel Premiere # 1 = Him becomes Adam Warlock

By all means, please! – this "cameo" definition is nonsense. :screwy:

The WHOLE story developing through FF #66 and #67 revolves around the creation of "Him" by the scientists of the Citadel of Science: there is NOTHING in the story except this central fact, the whole poetics of the story revolves around that.

First cover with Warlock

Precisely that.

I am not saying the Thor #164-165 are bad, they are just infinitely less relevant than all the other Warlock books in the economy of things.

Fantastic Four #67 has been the first appearance of Warlock for 50 years.

If one likes the Thor cover, fine, but stop with this nonsense, please. :sick:

By all means, please! – this "cameo" definition is nonsense. :screwy:

The WHOLE story developing through FF #66 and #67 revolves around the creation of "Him" by the scientists of the Citadel of Science: there is NOTHING in the story except this central fact, the whole poetics of the story revolves around that.

You're entitled to your opinion.

The fact remains that Him was barely seen in FF # 67. There are many other instances in comics of minor first appearances being defined as cameo appearances (and yes, I know that it is not the same as the literal interpretation of the word "cameo"). The fact that the story is about the emergence of Him does not alter the fact that he is barely seen in the comic (unless you count seeing the cocoon that he is in).

Like I said, you're entitled to your opinion and I'll even be polite enough to not call your opinion "nonsense". (thumbs u

No love for Marvel Premiere #1?

FF67 and Thor 165 being the first appearance of Warlock is like saying Marvel Super Heroes 13 is the first appearance of Ms. Marvel.

The only reason people are totally focused on these two books is because OSPG have mis-attributed his appearance for decades. They refer to those issues as "1st appearance of Warlock (HIM)". Which is incorrect, especially if you consider he's not called 'Warlock' until the 70s, nor does he have the personality or power set that he is known for until that time.

But, hey - why sweat the details?

If we could only get the guide to list it that way!

First cover with Warlock

Precisely that.

I am not saying the Thor #164-165 are bad, they are just infinitely less relevant than all the other Warlock books in the economy of things.

Fantastic Four #67 has been the first appearance of Warlock Him for 50 years.

Fixed that for you, Claudio ;)

First cover with Warlock

Precisely that.

Fantastic Four #67 has been the first appearance of Warlock Him for 50 years.

Fixed that for you, Claudio ;)

If you read above, of course, we agree on that. But since he became Warlock it is the "first appearance" nonetheless.

A bit different from Carol Danvers, which in the end was just Carol Danvers, without powers. The High Evolutionary gives Warlock a name, awareness, and enlists him for help to fight the Man-Beast, but he remains himself, while Carol is empowered with Kree DNA.

In any case, this topic has already been beat to death in the Bronze forum the past six months:

thread 1 - http://boards.collectors-society.com/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=7367794#Post7367794

thread 2 - http://boards.collectors-society.com/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=7788789&fpart=1

And the same question is always brought forward with the same uninformed attitude. for that matter. (shrug)

Well if he was officially named Warlock in Thor I can see why that's the hot book. That book is first High Evolutionary too right? And another first I can't remember.

He's not called Warlock in Thor, & he refers to himself as "HIM". :makepoint:

In any case, this topic has already been beat to death in the Bronze forum the past six months:

thread 1 - http://boards.collectors-society.com/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=7367794#Post7367794

thread 2 - http://boards.collectors-society.com/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=7788789&fpart=1

When has that ever kept us from beating it further into the ground?!? :makepoint:

FF67 and Thor 165 being the first appearance of Warlock is like saying Marvel Super Heroes 13 is the first appearance of Ms. Marvel.

It is her first appearance :D:baiting:

But not the first appearance of Ms Marvel. OSPG refers to Thor 165 as "First appearance of Warlock (Him)". It's not. However, the guide states FF 67 is "1st Brief appearance of Him (Warlock)" - which is at least an improvement on accuracy. But they are still not the first appearance of Warlock. First appearance of Him - who would later become Warlock. Sadly, OSPG doesn't even comment on Marvel Premiere #1 being the first appearance of Warlock at all.

Anyways - it's one of those things that people's misconceptions define the book, and that's how it goes. I've been having this conversation with people since the 90s. My complaint is that there's no Marvel Premiere #1 in the poll.

Moondragon is called Madame McEvil in her first appearance. So ,is her second appearance, where she is now called Moondragon really her first appearance?

A rose, by any other name.....

Which is the First Appearance of Warlock. :baiting:

I think the answer is you have to buy all 3 -- kinda like Darkseid. Having JO 134 is not enough; you need JO 134, JO 135 and Forever People #1.

If I had to pick one, I would pick FF 67. But the correct answer is "all of the above".

Just to throw gas on this fire...

I don't think we'd be talking about Warlock/Him if it weren't for Starlin's work with the character. I'm a Fantastic Four guy, so FF 66 and 67 are the ones I have in nice shape, but I think the most important WARLOCK book is Strange Tales #178.

I imagine many will disagree. :boo:

I don't think we'd be talking about Warlock/Him if it weren't for Starlin's work with the character. I'm a Fantastic Four guy, so FF 66 and 67 are the ones I have in nice shape, but I think the most important WARLOCK book is Strange Tales #178.

Hulk 177/178 are the keys to me.

Hulk 177/178 are the keys to me.

(thumbs u

Lots of good BA Warlock stuff. Thats probably why we get all worked up about it. Warlock fans know that the best part of the character came in the 70s, and the SA appearances were untelated. BUT, still key issues in the history of the character.

This was my wall at my comic shop in 1996:

GENX04.jpg

I circled my Warlock books. I had two FF67s up there, which is likely because those are the books people refer to as his first appearance. Although, Thor books were patently NOT hot in 1996, so if I had 165, it was probably in the longbox, not worthy of being on the wall.

Ahhh, nostalgia. On a side note: look at all that 90's krap that was so hot it earned it's place on the wall lol

This was my wall at my comic shop in 1996:

GENX04.jpg

I circled my Warlock books. I had two FF67s up there, which is likely because those are the books people refer to as his first appearance. Although, Thor books were patently NOT hot in 1996, so if I had 165, it was probably in the longbox, not worthy of being on the wall.

Ahhh, nostalgia. On a side note: look at all that 90's krap that was so hot it earned it's place on the wall lol

That's a 165 to the right of the 67's.