• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Detective Comics #27 CGC 9.2
4 4

525 posts in this topic

Harvard gets his strike

He worked so hard for it. (thumbs u

(thumbs u He really has been working hard, eh? Hopefully he can be productive now, I think he could be a constructive member if he really wanted to.

You guys kill me.

He's a longtime malcontent/troll on these boards simply operating under a new name. There will be no productiveness or constructiveness, ever.

maybe it is the cage copy

Unless I am mistaken, the cage copy was slightly restored and graded maybe 74 at Sothebys.

Its 100% not the Cage copy. That has a tear seal on the back cover.

Edit:

Added a link to the Cage copy info

http://boards.collectors-society.com/ubbthreads.php/ubb/showflat/Number/1555345/site_id/1

Edited by Rip

maybe it is the cage copy

Unless I am mistaken, the cage copy was slightly restored and graded maybe 74 at Sothebys.

Its 100% not the Cage copy. That has a tear seal on the back cover.

(thumbs u

Anything new for the tec27 9.2, or is it probably staying in hiding for now?

I cracked it out, and put it back in the Mylar.

...... I thought I sensed a disturbance in the Force..... GOD BLESS...

-jimbo(a friend of jesus) (thumbs u

I remember seeing and looking carefully at the Mastro Detective 27 when it was on display at the Chicago comic con. I it was sharp, but definitely had the very faint corner crease, so not sure how that could grade 9.2, if it was this copy, and as was mentioned, no one knows for sure which copy this is. I do know of 2 other very high grade copies that have not been graded yet, so there are more out there (not including BZ's and Anderson's Allentown copy which Steve B. Said would grade 9.6 after seeing it in person).

Dwight

Edited by detective35DF

I remember seeing and looking carefully at the Mastro Detective 27 when it was on display at the Chicago comic con. I it was sharp, but definitely had the very faint corner crease, so not sure how that could grade 9.2, if it was this copy, and as was mentioned, no one knows for sure which copy this is. I do know of 2 other very high grade copies that have not been graded yet, so there are more out there (not including BZ's and Anderson's Allentown copy which Steve B. Said would grade 9.6 after seeing it in person).

Dwight

Is the location of the 1993 100K copy known to anyone? It seems like this would be a likely candidate.

detective-27.jpg

And here's some more info about the missing book.

Killer, could see this old label 8.0 being the new 9.2. Same can't be said of the Heritage 8.0, it may be close to it's final resting place with the erasure and piece out of the bottom of the spine.

I remember trying to figure out what the defects were when I was looking at the catalog. It looks better than the grade for sure.

Yeah, that top right corner could poke a kid's eye out! :o

I just looked pulled out the catalog and looked at the again and... based on the front cover I can't see anything obvious that would knock the book down all the way to 8.0.

Rob, isn't there tiny stresses in the red spine area? To me that negates any possible 9.2 grade (?). hm

I'll post a big old scan of the Mastro book tomorrow.

And I'm not saying this is the 9.2 we're discussing. The Mastro book has always looked undergraded to me. It was an early book and there's a perception that the early grades were too harsh. To me this book looks like a prime example of that.

Of course, I've only ever seen the scan.

The back cover could have some issues. But the front cover looks better than 8.0. (thumbs u

what about doing the ol' roll the book to the left, putting the current spine on the back and pressing the *HOLY SPOON* out of it, thus moving any spine defects out of sight...

most of you know that this is being done and getting significant grade bumps...

"Re-arranging" a book like that is "cheating" in my book :P. I hope that CGC does not condone such behaviour ...

There's nothing in the grader's notes on the Mastro copy about the back cover. The only thing we shouldn't be able to see in the scan are the small "finger bends." There's supposedly a fingerprint on the cover but I haven't been able to find it.

The question is then... what does a book with a slight, color breaking crease that big and small spine stress lines (of which is looks like only one[?] is visible/color breaking) get nowadays?

That crease is super slight but is like... an inch long.

Again, before any of you get ahead of me and start blaring this from the rooftops, I'm not saying that this Mastro book is the new 9.2. I'm just analyzing the Mastro book on its own merits because... it's really interesting to do so.

There's also spine rub on the top half of the book, the only flaw visible on the smaller scan (apart from 1 spine stress).

detective-27.jpg

Killer, could see this old label 8.0 being the new 9.2. Same can't be said of the Heritage 8.0, it may be close to it's final resting place with the erasure and piece out of the bottom of the spine.

I remember trying to figure out what the defects were when I was looking at the catalog. It looks better than the grade for sure.

I just looked pulled out the catalog and looked at the again and... based on the front cover I can't see anything obvious that would knock the book down all the way to 8.0.

Rob, isn't there tiny stresses in the red spine area? To me that negates any possible 9.2 grade (?). hm

And I'm not saying this is the 9.2 we're discussing. The Mastro book has always looked undergraded to me. It was an early book and there's a perception that the early grades were too harsh. To me this book looks like a prime example of that.

The back cover could have some issues. But the front cover looks better than 8.0. (thumbs u

what about doing the ol' roll the book to the left, putting the current spine on the back and pressing the *HOLY SPOON* out of it, thus moving any spine defects out of sight...

"Re-arranging" a book like that is "cheating" in my book :P. I hope that CGC does not condone such behaviour ...

Been done, been upgraded, been condoned…there's a thread here somewhere that explored the issue on a SA key (JIM 83? X-Men 1?) …lemme see where that is...

Edited by Racer-X

detective-27.jpg

Been done, been upgraded, been condoned…there's a thread here somewhere that explored the issue on a SA key (JIM 83? X-Men 1?) …lemme see where that is...

Books been worked on. Yet its authorized under universal grade.

If I shell out big money on a blue key I expect "virginity" = untouched.

The Florida boys shold consider a pink colour code for all these many book that belong in the greyzone area being neither true-blue label nor purple plods with added material.