• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

The Prince of the Silver Age

66 posts in this topic

In terms of value, in today's market, AF #15 is clearly the King of the Silver Age.

Which book do you think is the next most valuable today, across most grades?

The Prince is definitely IH #1, with FF #1 a close runner-up. (thumbs u

What do you think?

I believe this would be the case even without the media hype or movie marketing. hm

I think Showcase #4 currently tops FF #1 in terms of FMV across most grades. I've added my take on average FF #1 FMVs in grade to my earlier rough estimates for Hulk #1 and Showcase #4:

Hulk #1 2.0: $5K

Showcase #4 2.0: $4K

FF #1 2.0: $2.5K

Hulk #1 4.0: $8K

Showcase #4 4.0: $8K

FF #1 4.0: $4.5K

Hulk #1 6.0: $15K

Showcase #4 6.0: $14K

FF #1 6.0: $11K

Hulk #1 7.0: $26K

Showcase #4 7.0: $25K

FF #1 7.0: $18K

Hulk #1 8.0+: ?

Showcase #4 8.0+: ?

FF #1 8.0+: ?

In terms of value, in today's market, AF #15 is clearly the King of the Silver Age.

What do you think?

I believe this would be the case even without the media hype or movie marketing. hm

I think Showcase #4 currently tops FF #1 in terms of FMV across most grades. I've added my take on average FF #1 FMVs in grade to my earlier rough estimates for Hulk #1 and Showcase #4:

Cool Beans! (thumbs u However, I do believe SC4 recent trending is based on what I mentioned before. 2c FF 2015 movie is being touted as the "Fantastic Flop" and may be negatively affecting FF #1 FMV of recent sales trends unfortunately. (shrug)

Where are the stats on the 8.0 - 9.0 grades? hm If anyone has some statistical incite on the FMV of these books in the 8.0+ range I'd appreciate them being listed. :wishluck:

Maybe it's because I want a Showcase #4 more than any other Silver Age key (well, ones that I already don't have) make me biased. But it's also a much, much tougher book to find.

What do you think?

Cool Beans! (thumbs u However, I do believe SC4 recent trending is based on what I mentioned before. 2c FF 2015 movie is being touted as the "Fantastic Flop" and may be negatively affecting FF #1 FMV of recent sales trends unfortunately. (shrug)

Where are the stats on the 8.0 - 9.0 grades? hm If anyone has some statistical incite on the FMV of these books in the 8.0+ range I'd appreciate them being listed. :wishluck:

These numbers look pretty solid for the most part but I would put a 4.0 FF 1 closer to the $5250 mark. I know there is a current listing for one at 4500 on ebay but they have been consistently selling for more than that for the better part of a year. (thumbs u

-J.

Maybe it's because I want a Showcase #4 more than any other Silver Age key (well, ones that I already don't have) make me biased. But it's also a much, much tougher book to find.

Yeah that's true buddy! I want one eventually also in a 9.0 if I can find one. lol

+1 Hopefully some of the big boys, like Gator, will see this thread and weigh in on FMVs in 8.0+ yet

Perhaps so. :wishluck:

What do you think?

These numbers look pretty solid for the most part but I would put a 4.0 FF 1 closer to the $5250 mark. I know there is a current listing for one at 4500 on ebay but they have been consistently selling for more than that for the better part of a year. (thumbs u

-J.

Okay! A FF #1 3.5 is selling for $4.3K on HA BIN also. hm

Any data on the 8.0 - 9.0 range for these books Jaydogrules?

-J.

Fair enough; I was just trying to provide rough estimates based on my interpretation of available data. Even at slightly different FMV estimates, at least up to grades of 7.0, I don't think such estimates would typically vary enough to change FF #1's runner up ranking to Hulk #1 and Showcase #4.

P.S. To illustrate that I wasn't totally picking my estimated value in 4.0 out of a hat, I had pegged my rough estimated value for FF #1 in 4.0 at $4,500 based in part by looking at reported GPA sales in nearby grades (e.g. even thought 4.0's have averaged $5,233 over the past 12 months according to GPA, I saw that there were also 4 sales in 4.5 averaging $4,512 over the past 12 months, with the most recent 4.5 sale at $4,766 in August, 2014). Due to variations in eye appeal, PQ, etc. GPA can sometimes result in some funky results like 4.5's selling for less on average over the past 12 months than 4.0's, etc. Under my not so secret anymore pricing formula, I tried to perform a quick and dirty on the fly "smoothing" of the GPA results across grades to come up with normalized GPA type prices in grade... or something like that lol

What do you think?

-J.

Superman you're right there is some funky price compression in FF 1 in those lower grade however I do believe that the softer prices realized in those grades are the copies with varying amounts of tanning and/or marvel chipping.

Jaja, if I'm not mistaken an 8.0 showcase 4 last sold on comic link but I can't remember the price and it does not show up anymore. For some reason I "think" it was in the mid thirties. But don't quote me on that.

-J.

What do you think?

-J.

Superman you're right there is some funky price compression in FF 1 in those lower grade however I do believe that the softer prices realized in those grades are the copies with varying amounts of tanning and/or marvel chipping.

Jaja, if I'm not mistaken an 8.0 showcase 4 last sold on comic link but I can't remember the price and it does not show up anymore. For some reason I "think" it was in the mid thirties. But don't quote me on that.

-J.

Okay Jay thanks. The SC4 Nick Cage 8.0 copy sold here a few months back through Vintage Comics for ~$35K and CL has an 8.0 that just sold for $40K. So, it has definitely gone up significantly in recent months. (thumbs u

The SC4 Mohawk Valley CGC 8.5 copy is up for sale soon on CC's November event auction. (worship)

Dependent on overall structural presentation & page quality FF 1 CGC 9.0 should fetch roughly $100k - $110k, whilst Incredible Hulk 1 CGC 9.0 should garner in the $165k - $180k range.

Ok.

And what would a 9.0 in BB28 and SC4 fetch?

The almost never show up in those grades... so ?

Just checked.. there are only 5 copies of BB28 above 9,.0 in exsistence.... :o

Ok.. now that I'm checking, I'll check the rest too...

also only 5 copies of SC4 in exsistence... wow!

And wow - there are also only 5 copies of Hulk1 in exsistence. So also truely an incredibly hard book in high grades.

For FF1 there are 7. Very very scarce still.

In comparison there are 25 copies of Avengers 1 and 32 Xmen1 and 36 TOS39.

Strange, it says it was a 10 day duration, but I never saw that book in searches when it was for sale. I think he might of FUBAR the title and screwed the ebay search engine up.

Strange, it says it was a 10 day duration, but I never saw that book in searches when it was for sale. I think he might of FUBAR the title and screwed the ebay search engine up.

You wouldn't have found it in any of your searches unless you searched within the 35 minute window that it was available before the buyer hit the Buy-it-Now... It didn't last long at that price! (Click on the bids history and you'll see what I'm talking about)

You wouldn't have found it in any of your searches unless you searched within the 35 minute window that it was available before the buyer hit the Buy-it-Now... It didn't last long at that price! (Click on the bids history and you'll see what I'm talking about)

doh! It's late so I totally missed it was a BIN. One day I will find a mega key listed at a bin of ~75% market value.