• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Big change at CGC

289 posts in this topic

"The decision to roll back the Modern Tier threshold from 1980 to 1975 was based on collector feedback and CGC’s recent dealer meetings at key industry shows, including San Diego Comic-Con and Wizard World Chicago."

Because you need several years of feedback to implement change.

I know this must have been discussed to death but why the need for different tiers of grading? Does it take longer to grade a 1960s book than a 1980s book? Is it because Silver-Age books are larger? Restoration check more extensive for the older books? I guess I can see a slight bump for higher priced books due to insurance cost but you would think every book would take the same amount of time to grade and check for restoration.

If you can eliminate the competition, you can eliminate your customer service.

Business 502.

that's backwards, if they improved their customer service, transparency and accountability, no competition could exist or start up.

I know this must have been discussed to death but why the need for different tiers of grading? Does it take longer to grade a 1960s book than a 1980s book? Is it because Silver-Age books are larger? Restoration check more extensive for the older books? I guess I can see a slight bump for higher priced books due to insurance cost but you would think every book would take the same amount of time to grade and check for restoration.

insurance would be the only claim which is really a value tier not an age tier, so ultimately, like all things,

Because they can....

It takes time for large companies to make changes. I wish they had done this years ago, but better late than never.

Increased competition should be good for the consumer.

CGC is NOT a large company in any way shape or form. Just because its not a garage when you google street view them, does not make them a big company.

There are plenty of times I've looked at books from 1979 that I would think about grading, but the reality of having to bump them up to the Economy tier dissuaded me from submitting them. It will be nice to have those extra 5 years get the lower price point.