• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

So I received an interesting phone call last week...

495 posts in this topic

Man were they surprised to see me back at their door after I sold those two books with cash in hand (1/2 the proceeds from those two books) to give them. It really helped them out and they were totally floored. lol That really made a good collection find story into a GREAT one.

It's nice that you were in a position to do that.

What people don't get around here is that some of us are not in that kind of position at all.

Congrats, Brock!

Peace,

Chip

Well, in my case, it was found money. I bought books given what I saw and got a lotto ticket out of it that was unforeseen.

There was MORE than enough to go around. I made money, they made money.

I don't think I was in a position any different than anyone else, in that it was a windfall.

Chris: And that's why you are an absolute class act and well respected amongst ALL board members. :foryou:

Jim

Not all board members :whatev:

J/K he knows I :luhv: him.

A restraining order does not equal :luhv:, it usually indicates something else. :eek:

It may be hard to believe that a key can get overlooked, but it can happen. I bought a few thousand dollars worth of GA comics from a small California dealer along with around 20-30 coverless GA books. The coverless were Flash, All Flash, Green Lantern, All Star, Adventure, More Fun etc. whoever had owned them before hand wrote the number on the splash page and the dealer priced them accordingly as coverless books at 10% of good. I've seen dealers price coverless anywhere between 10-40% of good so I bought a bunch for the great reads that they are and the pricing was right.

I got around to reading a couple and I compared to Overstreet notes. They didn't match so I checked the Grand Comics database for issue numbers and correlating stories. Many of the coverless were mis-marked by the previous owner as the wrong issue number. It just so happens that there was one that was a biggee. More Fun 73, first Aquaman. :banana:

A few were lesser books and a few were better numbers.

I ended up selling the MF 73 to a Boardie and did very well on that one issue. Wish I'd kept it but c'est la vie. I have a 74 and 75 now :cloud9: with covers. I also still have 10-15 of the coverless in my collection.

It happens. He just didn't take the effort to confirm the issue numbers which still amazes me to this day.

@comix4fun - kudos sir.

@ Chip - your ability to play the income inequality card and have it bite you in the buttocks knows no bounds.

How so? It depends on the books, I suppose. It also depends on what's "accepted" by the forum police here as what percentage is deemed "worthy."

Sure, if I sell $100,000 worth of books that I bought for $1,000 I have no problem giving thousands back...but $50,000? Really? Everyone here that's NOT well-off would do that?

Peace,

Chip

:eyeroll:

Oh, so you would do that? Just give away $50k?

Must be nice to be that well-off.

Peace,

Chip

If you were expecting to make a couple thousand off of that $1,000 purchase and you find a $10K book, some (read: I) would say that kicking back is the right thing to do. It's found money and has nothing to do with your lot in life. Regardless, my whole point was you have a tendency to jump in and play the "poor" card and it often times results in you becoming the center of attention. That's all I meant.

Man were they surprised to see me back at their door after I sold those two books with cash in hand (1/2 the proceeds from those two books) to give them. It really helped them out and they were totally floored. lol That really made a good collection find story into a GREAT one.

It's nice that you were in a position to do that.

What people don't get around here is that some of us are not in that kind of position at all.

Congrats, Brock!

Peace,

Chip

Well, in my case, it was found money. I bought books given what I saw and got a lotto ticket out of it that was unforeseen.

There was MORE than enough to go around. I made money, they made money.

I don't think I was in a position any different than anyone else, in that it was a windfall.

Chris: And that's why you are an absolute class act and well respected amongst ALL board members. :foryou:

Jim

Not all board members :whatev:

J/K he knows I :luhv: him.

A restraining order does not equal :luhv:, it usually indicates something else. :eek:

That was supposed to remain private :mad:

@comix4fun - kudos sir.

@ Chip - your ability to play the income inequality card and have it bite you in the buttocks knows no bounds.

How so? It depends on the books, I suppose. It also depends on what's "accepted" by the forum police here as what percentage is deemed "worthy."

Sure, if I sell $100,000 worth of books that I bought for $1,000 I have no problem giving thousands back...but $50,000? Really? Everyone here that's NOT well-off would do that?

Peace,

Chip

Peace,

Chip

If you were expecting to make a couple thousand off of that $1,000 purchase and you find a $10K book, some (read: I) would say that kicking back is the right thing to do. It's found money and has nothing to do with your lot in life. Regardless, my whole point was you have a tendency to jump in and play the "poor" card and it often times results in you becoming the center of attention. That's all I meant.

I don't know him from a hole in the wall, but if I were poor ( or rich for that matter ), I definitely wouldn't make it forum business. IMHO some things should be kept to yourself.

If you're not well off due to your own lack of hard work, fairness and honesty don't apply! :whee:

I've had just about enough of you, twit. I work as hard as I can every damn day to put food on the table.

You know nothing about my life, so shut your hole.

tumblr_m2p9j4b5WB1rp9cdio1_500.gif

If you're gonna be a class act you might as well at least have some fun with it. Go back to the couple in the nicest car you can get your hands (not the one you originally showed up in), and thank them for selling you not one but two big silver age keys that you were able to quickly turn into a nice big pile of cash. Shake their hands and walk away. Just as you are stepping out of the door, "Oh, I almost forgot, I have something for you..."

There was a recent Simpsons episode that was pretty much spot on in relation to this story.

Marge & Homer picked up a priceless painting at the neighbor's yard sale, then struggled with doing the right thing (because Milhouse's Dad wasn't smart enough to know exactly what he had).

@comix4fun - kudos sir.

Peace,

Chip

Peace,

Chip

Nah, not really well-off. But that has nothing to do with being a person with integrity and good morals.

Peace.

Cricket

I think you're getting precariously close to judging someone(s) on the very core of their person and saying that they lack morals. I would say its not as black and white as some people think.

Certainly its nice to be nice and give to charity or share with those who helped you along the way, but a vast majority of us are employed essentially because people can buy something at a lower price and sell it at a higher price (with varying profit margins). I'm not sure anyone should have to apologize for working hard to make a 5% profit or a 500% profit, as long as they aren't lying to people or breaking laws. We all come from different places and have different stories. I know I'm not as well off as some, and I know that while some people can be wildly successful based on hard work and intelligence, the vast majority of us are trying to grind it out to give our kids a better life than we have, and sometimes that involves working hard to put ourselves in positions to capitalize on lottery tickets we come across.

To sit from a distance and judge those specific actions as immoral ... well.... I think we should take more consideration before doing it.