• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

So I received an interesting phone call last week...

495 posts in this topic

Everyone wants to get ahead

And some are closer than others

Being in the Red or Black in life can easily sway perspective.

You are right. But when you are in bad shape and still do what's right, that is what defines you. It's not what you do when you can afford to, it's what you do when you can't afford to do it and still do.

Pat: Best post in the thread.

What I have learned from this thread is people need to shut up what they post on the internet.

CC is going to damage himself (and is already on the ess list of many members of the board) because of his need for "look at me, look what I got" and if Chip doesn't say a thing, people aren't attacking his morals. People just be quiet, and don't need to be "noticed" all the time. It doesn't end well.

Do your business, sell the book and shut up about how you acquired it, in real life nobody really gives two esses.

Jim

Jim,

Either one of us would do the same thing when this book sold. And both of us will be burried knowing we did our best to be good people. If it were me, should would be getting a few thousand to say the least. But it isn't me, and there is too many here that will justify why it is not necessary to give anything. But we know comics, she does not, and it is just wrong to say otherwise IMO.

All-Star #8, or an early All-American is my guess.

c7d6c.jpgvia Imgflip Meme Maker

Yeah I feel like an insufficiently_thoughtful_person. Started to reply, took the dog out, came back in, finished the reply, only to find out that my comment hadn't been relevant for about 3 pages.

Sorry.

That poor woman..
there are laws to protect the good honest people who are not aware or knowledgable of antiques and collectibles. I know for certain that Auctioneers are controlled under these laws. And there are many cases of fraudulent obtaining (swindling) by knowledgable professionals on their chosen fields that have had cases like these come back to bite them.

+1

I believe a crime was committed. And the OP is using the CGC forum to brag about his heist and possibly find a buyer. Does that make CGC an accomplice?

@comix4fun - kudos sir.

@ Chip - your ability to play the income inequality card and have it bite you in the buttocks knows no bounds.

How so? It depends on the books, I suppose. It also depends on what's "accepted" by the forum police here as what percentage is deemed "worthy."

Sure, if I sell $100,000 worth of books that I bought for $1,000 I have no problem giving thousands back...but $50,000? Really? Everyone here that's NOT well-off would do that?

Peace,

Chip

It was found money. That is, you wouldn't HAVE the $100,000 in the first place without the people from whom you found the stuff for $1,000.

All-Star #8, or an early All-American is my guess.

c7d6c.jpgvia Imgflip Meme Maker

Yeah I feel like an insufficiently_thoughtful_person. Started to reply, took the dog out, came back in, finished the reply, only to find out that my comment hadn't been relevant for about 3 pages.

Sorry.

It's okay. Fing hasn't been relevant for a much longer period of time.

That poor woman..
there are laws to protect the good honest people who are not aware or knowledgable of antiques and collectibles. I know for certain that Auctioneers are controlled under these laws. And there are many cases of fraudulent obtaining (swindling) by knowledgable professionals on their chosen fields that have had cases like these come back to bite them.

I don't know the law regarding comic book dealer purchases (maybe some of the attorneys here can chime in), but unequal bargaining positions and fiduciary responsibilities would seem to come into play.

I'm actually quite curious about this.

That poor woman..

I don't know the law regarding comic book dealer purchases (maybe some of the attorneys here can chime in), but unequal bargaining positions and fiduciary responsibilities would seem to come into play.

How about we don't focus on what's legal.

But I've got a pretty good idea of the outcome already, which is why I say this was a carefully constructed trap. Like honey for flies. Stay tuned for the big reveal later.

@comix4fun - kudos sir.

@ Chip - your ability to play the income inequality card and have it bite you in the buttocks knows no bounds.

How so? It depends on the books, I suppose. It also depends on what's "accepted" by the forum police here as what percentage is deemed "worthy."

Sure, if I sell $100,000 worth of books that I bought for $1,000 I have no problem giving thousands back...but $50,000? Really? Everyone here that's NOT well-off would do that?

Peace,

Chip

:eyeroll:

Oh, so you would do that? Just give away $50k?

Must be nice to be that well-off.

Peace,

Chip

Why not? The people you bought the books from gave away $99,000.

:popcorn:

Wow, with that eye appeal, you're looking at $25k right there.

no

(shrug)

More?

2.0 just went for $35k >> old label looking for a bump

And the 1.5 that went for $25k back in early 2012?

And the 2 1.8s that sold for $24k and $17k last year? I'm just jumping in. I have no idea about the market for #31s.

As a I buyer, I am clinging to the 1.5 that sold in 2007 for $3850. :wishluck:

There really around enough blues on the market to really paint a bright line to any specific number. It might be 10 times what he paid for the lot it might be 17 times what he paid for the lot. The market will decide.

That poor woman..

Checked Prosser on Comics and couldn't find anything.

That poor woman..

How about we don't focus on what's legal.

But I've got a pretty good idea of the outcome already, which is why I say this was a carefully constructed trap. Like honey for flies. Stay tuned for the big reveal later.

Ackbar_HS.jpg

You are right. But when you are in bad shape and still do what's right, that is what defines you. It's not what you do when you can afford to, it's what you do when you can't afford to do it and still do.

What I have learned from this thread is people need to shut up what they post on the internet.

CC is going to damage himself (and is already on the ess list of many members of the board) because of his need for "look at me, look what I got" and if Chip doesn't say a thing, people aren't attacking his morals. People just be quiet, and don't need to be "noticed" all the time. It doesn't end well.

Do your business, sell the book and shut up about how you acquired it, in real life nobody really gives two esses.

Jim

Jim,

Either one of us would do the same thing when this book sold. And both of us will be burried knowing we did our best to be good people. If it were me, should would be getting a few thousand to say the least. But it isn't me, and there is too many here that will justify why it is not necessary to give anything. But we know comics, she does not, and it is just wrong to say otherwise IMO.

I think the problem in GENERAL (not specific to any person or case), is that this is blanket statement of what is right and what is wrong, when too much is subjective. What there's an illness in the family, what if there's a another charity someone is heavily involved with? What if I want to take my wife on the honeymoon she deserves after we never had one 20 years ago because we couldn't afford it? Is that ok with you? What profit percentages require donations? What percentages do I give? What if this happens to me 10x and I only give a some back 8 out of the 10 times?

What if I won the actual lottery? Do I give $1M to the guy who picked my powerball? Or sold me my ticket?

There's just too many variables, and we know too little about most (not all) situations

Jim

Jim,

I think the problem in GENERAL (not specific to any person or case), is that this is blanket statement of what is right and what is wrong, when too much is subjective. What there's an illness in the family, what if there's a another charity someone is heavily involved with? What if I want to take my wife on the honeymoon she deserves after we never had one 20 years ago because we couldn't afford it? Is that ok with you? What profit percentages require donations? What percentages do I give? What if this happens to me 10x and I only give a some back 8 out of the 10 times?

What if I won the actual lottery? Do I give $1M to the guy who picked my powerball? Or sold me my ticket?

There's just too many variables, and we know too little about most (not all) situations

My answer would likely be lost on you. I guess the "I need it more" scenario works for you. It is how the money is obtained. Comix4fun ended up with the two books by accident, he did not know they were there and when he did, corrected the situation. It does not matter what your situation is, there is no percentage. The fact is before you made that purchase you did NOT have that money. Further, you are a knowledgable collector and have a solid idea as to what the books value is. They have a box of old comics, worth some money. It is not fair negotiating when one of the two does not know the true value of what they are selling.