• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

IDW Marvels Covers Artists Edition

137 posts in this topic

STK642799.jpg

I received my copy yesterday.

It is definitely worth the money, but I was a bit disappointed. But then again, I expected to be blown away.

There is roughly 140 covers in the book, representing 30 artists. The artist most represented was Gil Kane with 14 covers. I like Gil Kane and I know he did a lot of Marvel covers, but 10% of the book?

Sadly, there is no Neal Adams covers, even though the cover to Avengers #93 appears in some of their ads (and would have looked spectacular). There are a lot of Neal Adams Marvel covers so I am not sure why no covers of his made it into the book.

There are no Barry Smith Conan covers which I had hoped would have been represented. Four of the five Smith covers were of the more recent vintage and only a Marvel Premiere (Dr Strange) cover made it from the Bronze Age.

There were 12 Frank Miller covers, of which 10 were Daredevil covers. Miller did a lot of fantastic covers for Marvel and I would have liked to see more variety.

Romita Sr (12), John Byrne (12) and Arthur Adams (11) were the others that were well represented.

I am not sure what IDW had to choose from, but there are a lot of other great covers out there. Maybe a volume 2?

Gary J.

How many Kirby covers?

Capt Anerica 105 107 112

Devil Dinosaur 6

Fantastic Four 175

Invaders 9

Marvel Chillers 7

I just noticed that I missed two additional Kirby covers that were on the next column of the listings.

The two additional covers are

Marvel Collector's Item Classics 19

Marvel's Greatest Comics 28

Gj

Is this book really as big as the original art boards were (11-x-17-inch) ? Where do you guys store such a book ? It certainly doesnt fit on any of my bookshelves. Also, im more of a modern age art fan I guess (thanks for posting that table of contents). If the book had Marc Silvestri, Jim Lee, Joe Madureira, Bryan Hitch, Steve McNiven (just to name a few) I probably would have bought a copy. I must admit that I like the idea of 'covers only' a lot, although i wouldnt mind my favorite modern age stories in this format either: I also have 'Batman: Hush Unwrapped Edition', which prints all the original Jim Lee pencils of the 'Batman Hush' book, but at a regular books size though.

Looks very cool. However . . . I am be in the minority here but that list looks a bit disappointing in certain areas--some of the selections look like they just came from people who they knew had certain covers as opposed to finding better representative examples.

For example, what about Perez? No offense to its current owner, but if there was going to only be one or two covers of his represented, I wouldn't think MTIO #52 is at the top of that list. Or Starlin? There are a number of better Starlin covers that come to mine ahead of Iron Man #56 (even IMHO better Starlin Iron Man covers---Iron Man #55, #68 and #100). No Kirby FF covers? Etc. Just my 2c

I think what might effect the covers being included in the edition is what future AEs Scott has planned. A George Perez one is probably in the works so that could limit what is available for this one. Some owners just may not want the covers they own to be published.

Looks very cool. However . . . I am be in the minority here but that list looks a bit disappointing in certain areas--some of the selections look like they just came from people who they knew had certain covers as opposed to finding better representative examples.

I think that's exactly what happened. But, at least that means there are plenty of great covers still out there to do a follow-up book! :banana:

That would be good on both fronts---some more premier Marvel artists getting their own editions and another assorted cover edition. Presumably there is a Neal Adams one in the works since they have already shown the Avengers #93 cover and named him in the ad copy.

Is this book really as big as the original art boards were (11-x-17-inch) ? Where do you guys store such a book ? It certainly doesnt fit on any of my bookshelves.

A Billy bookcase from Ikea with some movable shelves, and Bob's yer uncle.

I've got all of my AEs on the bottom shelf. I keep 'em in the cardboard they came in, but I tend to be paranoid.

Is this book really as big as the original art boards were (11-x-17-inch) ? Where do you guys store such a book ? It certainly doesnt fit on any of my bookshelves.

A Billy bookcase from Ikea with some movable shelves, and Bob's yer uncle.

I've got all of my AEs on the bottom shelf. I keep 'em in the cardboard they came in, but I tend to be paranoid.

Ay truth in the rumour CGC are planning to do slabs for these?

:jokealert:

. . . I hope.