• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

IDW Marvels Covers Artists Edition

137 posts in this topic

I would love too see more Kirby covers and other silver age covers. As well, do you think they will release a DC version?

No, DC does not work with IDW on these.

I would love too see more Kirby covers and other silver age covers. As well, do you think they will release a DC version?

DC's worked with IDW on the Kirby NEW GODS AE as well as the upcoming MANHUNTER AE. But does look like most DC properties will be going through Graphitti. Had the pleasure of having Bob Chapman come by my place to do some scanning a few weeks ago. Very ambitious slate, to say the least. Lots of competition between IDW, Graphitti, and other players for our dollars.

DC's worked with IDW on the Kirby NEW GODS AE as well as the upcoming MANHUNTER AE. But does look like most DC properties will be going through Graphitti. Had the pleasure of having Bob Chapman come by my place to do some scanning a few weeks ago. Very ambitious slate, to say the least. Lots of competition between IDW, Graphitti, and other players for our dollars.

Do you know what Graphitti has in the pipeline?

Herb Trimpe has cancelled his visit to the Belfast convention, I am so disappointed. First of all I bought weekend tickets to meet him (no refunds) then I bought the Marvel covers for him to do a sketch in and autograph. I feel so cheated not getting to meet him in person, he would have been my first Marvel artist of note.

I spent a few hours this evening studying the Marvel covers book and a thought came to me and it is a very personal thought so no lynch mob. I preferred Romita and Kane over Kirby, yes I know I will still be ran out of town. Hear me out, as I looked at each cover belonging to these artists I noticed that Kane and Romita took more care with each detail of the covers background, background characters were given more depth and feeling. I do know that Kirby had a huge turnover and this could account for my noticing it in the first place but as it stands I give the other two artists more credit. Please forward all hate mail to my tax inspector, please. Maybe it was the choice of covers I don't know, there is one other fact to add, I love comicbook art for in my wildest dreams I could never draw like these greats mores the pity.

Wow! $195 for the Ronin book. I would hate too see the price for the Killing Joke and Dark Knight Returns.

Actually those two ought to cost less. Ronin is a LONG book (6x48pgs) which will also feature additional production costs for the fold-outs included.

Killing Joke should be the cheapest. They'll need to dig up some additional material to fill out a full book's worth of material.

I spent a few hours this evening studying the Marvel covers book and a thought came to me and it is a very personal thought so no lynch mob. I preferred Romita and Kane over Kirby, yes I know I will still be ran out of town. Hear me out, as I looked at each cover belonging to these artists I noticed that Kane and Romita took more care with each detail of the covers background, background characters were given more depth and feeling. I do know that Kirby had a huge turnover and this could account for my noticing it in the first place but as it stands I give the other two artists more credit. Please forward all hate mail to my tax inspector, please. Maybe it was the choice of covers I don't know, there is one other fact to add, I love comicbook art for in my wildest dreams I could never draw like these greats mores the pity.

I know that one of the major complaint against Vince Colleta as an inker on Kirby pencils was that he often erased background characters and a lot of the small details, presumably to make his job inking easier. As to the specific covers you are looking at, I can't really give any compare them without a copy of the book.

Page 4 has a list of the covers at the beginning of this thread. That's a very good point you made about the inkers I'm new at buying original pages and it has made me rethink the Kirby covers. Were the inkers so important that they could make or break an artists work. Now over the years I had read articles mentioning artists favourite inkers now you have made me consider their work that there was a valid reason behind these statements.. Many thanks for the reply Ashrael.

Page 4 has a list of the covers at the beginning of this thread. That's a very good point you made about the inkers I'm new at buying original pages and it has made me rethink the Kirby covers. Were the inkers so important that they could make or break an artists work. Now over the years I had read articles mentioning artists favourite inkers now you have made me consider their work that there was a valid reason behind these statements.. Many thanks for the reply Ashrael.

A poor inking job can only detract . . .

If it's your honest opinion, you're entitled to it - and I wouldn't worry too much as to whether or not other collectors agree with you.

Just received my copy directly from IDW. I agree with most of the posts on here, it's my first AE book and there's lots of learn from it but I'm already thinking that I should plunk down some $$$ to buy some of the other editions I might be interested in before they are gone. One question for those on this board... have you had quality issues with your book? The one I received had corners that were mis cut...

I'm wondering if I should return it or is it pretty common and likely that I'll get another copy with defects?

See picture here:

P1020121.JPG