• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

IDW Marvels Covers Artists Edition

137 posts in this topic

Is this book really as big as the original art boards were (11-x-17-inch) ? Where do you guys store such a book ? It certainly doesnt fit on any of my bookshelves. Also, im more of a modern age art fan I guess (thanks for posting that table of contents). If the book had Marc Silvestri, Jim Lee, Joe Madureira, Bryan Hitch, Steve McNiven (just to name a few) I probably would have bought a copy. I must admit that I like the idea of 'covers only' a lot, although i wouldnt mind my favorite modern age stories in this format either: I also have 'Batman: Hush Unwrapped Edition', which prints all the original Jim Lee pencils of the 'Batman Hush' book, but at a regular books size though.

Yes they are actual size and I store mine behind a small cabinet. The pages are so realistic you can't help run your hands across them expecting to feel the zip tone etc.

Is this book really as big as the original art boards were (11-x-17-inch) ? Where do you guys store such a book ? It certainly doesnt fit on any of my bookshelves.

A Billy bookcase from Ikea with some movable shelves, and Bob's yer uncle.

I've got all of my AEs on the bottom shelf. I keep 'em in the cardboard they came in, but I tend to be paranoid.

Ay truth in the rumour CGC are planning to do slabs for these?

:jokealert:

. . . I hope.

Man, that'd be, what, a 20 pound slab of lucite even without the book? Now I'm kind of curious to see what that would look like...

Is this book really as big as the original art boards were (11-x-17-inch) ? Where do you guys store such a book ? It certainly doesnt fit on any of my bookshelves.

A Billy bookcase from Ikea with some movable shelves, and Bob's yer uncle.

I've got all of my AEs on the bottom shelf. I keep 'em in the cardboard they came in, but I tend to be paranoid.

Ay truth in the rumour CGC are planning to do slabs for these?

:jokealert:

. . . I hope.

Man, that'd be, what, a 20 pound slab of lucite even without the book? Now I'm kind of curious to see what that would look like...

This is about as good idea as slabbing OA. The slab would have to be opaque so the art is not damaged by light, maybe put a copy of the art on the front of the slabbed art so you know what's inside it =)

Received my copy of the Marvel cover book this morning.

Lot of stuff in there that I wouldn't go out of my way to look at normally, but for those examples that correspond with my own collecting interests, I'm more than happy with this purchase.

(thumbs u

I checked it out yesterday and bought it as well… There's some amazing stuff in this one! Did not have the problems I feared it might (or if it did, it's less noticeable because the pages are from different artists drawn from different years.)

Anyways, I love it! Byrne, Miller, Art Adams, Mignola, BWS, Zeck… as a comic collector from the 80s, it's right up my alley... Oh yeah, and Kirby Galactus covers don't stink either.

One of my favorite parts of the book was this note on the DD184 cover.

Seeing this note compared with the published version cracks me up.

I'd always heard stories about Miller while he was on Ronin as being obsessed with the coloring, tone and printing quality. He'd go nights without sleep because he was doing press checks to make sure the book was turning out the way he'd envisioned it. He hated the punchy carnival colors that so often got slapped on mainstream Marvel comics.

It's stuff like this that led man responsible for Dark Knight to fight so passionately to change the way comics were perceived.

DD184.jpg

I'd always heard stories about Miller while he was on Ronin as being obsessed with the coloring, tone and printing quality. He'd go nights without sleep because he was doing press checks to make sure the book was turning out the way he'd envisioned it. He hated the punchy carnival colors that so often got slapped on mainstream Marvel comics.

It's stuff like this that led man responsible for Dark Knight to fight so passionately to change the way comics were perceived.

DD184.jpg

I guess the colorist didn't follow Millers instructions. I wonder why, any insight? As well, I am curious what the cover would have looked like if he did and if it would have had the same impact.

DD184.jpg

I guess the colorist didn't follow Millers instructions. I wonder why, any insight? As well, I am curious what the cover would have looked like if he did and if it would have had the same impact.

Not necessarily true.

There's probably a color guide cover with the darker background requested by Miller but when they made the 1st proof from it, the editor didn't think it worked for some reason so reverted to the carnival yellow for the final proof (and comic).

And of course the day after I buy it, I get an email showing an upcoming Con variant featuring the DD181 (a personal favorite) cover.

Oh well, I guess I'm "stuck" with my GSXM#1 version. Not so bad a cover for me to have to 'settle' for I guess.

Just got my copy today. Sure there were a few disappointments (Surprisingly weak Arthur Adam and Michael Golden choices). But there were also some awesome surprises (Solo Avengers #19, Uncanny x-men #213 look amazing). My only caveat before purchasing this book was it lacked more 'Traditional' classic covers such as Jack Kirby's early covers. But fortunately I was surprised by other additions I'd never thought would impress me. It really does feel like you've got a museum in your hands when you are going through this book and it made me want to buy some of these books just because the covers are so enticing I want to read the stories! I have no doubt there will be a vol.2, so if you are looking for more 'KEY' Classic covers, you may want to pass on this, but you are also missing out on some real hidden gems. My 2 cents.

Oh and Barry Windsor Smith originals are amaaaaazing!

Just got my copy today. Sure there were a few disappointments (Surprisingly weak Arthur Adam and Michael Golden choices). But there were also some awesome surprises (Solo Avengers #19, Uncanny x-men #213 look amazing). My only caveat before purchasing this book was it lacked more 'Traditional' classic covers such as Jack Kirby's early covers. But fortunately I was surprised by other additions I'd never thought would impress me. It really does feel like you've got a museum in your hands when you are going through this book and it made me want to buy some of these books just because the covers are so enticing I want to read the stories! I have no doubt there will be a vol.2, so if you are looking for more 'KEY' Classic covers, you may want to pass on this, but you are also missing out on some real hidden gems. My 2 cents.

Oh and Barry Windsor Smith originals are amaaaaazing!

Since much of Kirby's early covers and other traditional covers were large art, I kinda didn't expect to see them in this volume.

Maybe IDW will put together a silver age classic covers edition if they can find enough good examples of large art to produce a volume. :wishluck:

Just got my copy today. Sure there were a few disappointments (Surprisingly weak Arthur Adam and Michael Golden choices).

Not happy with the Art Adams selections? What were you hoping for?

For me, his Classic X-Men covers were what put him on my radar, and they gave us eight of those, including the #1. I was more than happy with that.

I'm surprised about all the complains about the selection of art.

Do you know how hard is to compile a book such like this one?! Many of the top collectors don't bother to collaborate, and many others have the art framed and don't want to remove it from there. I know first hand because often I try to get nice images of pieces from collectors for my mag, and it's really difficult to get them to cooperate.

I think that we should congratulate that this edition exist and how lucky we are for having the opportunity to enjoy these historical covers compiled in a high quality book, even if it has not the perfect selection.

I have a question for my fellow members if any one can help, Herb Trimpe is coming to a con here in Belfast N.Ireland and I would like some advice. As he is featured in the Marvel covers book should I get him just to autograph his pages or should I ask him for a drawing. My concern is would I be ruining the book with a sketch, personally I would love him to draw Wolverine on the blank page near the beginning, any help would be most welcome. There is one other query, how much would he charge roughly for a drawing, thanks. P.S: This is my first ever meeting with a Marvel legend, I am so looking forward to the meeting.