• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

IDW Marvels Covers Artists Edition

137 posts in this topic

Just received my copy directly from IDW. I agree with most of the posts on here, it's my first AE book and there's lots of learn from it but I'm already thinking that I should plunk down some $$$ to buy some of the other editions I might be interested in before they are gone. One question for those on this board... have you had quality issues with your book? The one I received had corners that were mis cut...

I'm wondering if I should return it or is it pretty common and likely that I'll get another copy with defects?

See picture here:

P1020121.JPG

This is a printing error. If you contact our website we will be happy to replace it (with no additional shipping charges).

Best,

Scott

Hi Scott, while you are here could you drop any hints if there will ever be any editions by Ditko or Colan, Dracula and Spidey NEED the treatment. Also keep up the fantastic work you are doing it means a lot to us comic art lovers.

Woah. A reply from the editor. I'm sold.

Thanks for the amazingly quick response. I guess I will exchange it.

Also. I'm glad there was an error because it resulted in me finding this awesome message board for original art collectors!

Thanks,

Felix

Please do, no reason for you to have an inferior copy. I hope you decide to try another AE at some point, let us know if you do.

Best,

Scott

Hi Scott, while you are here could you drop any hints if there will ever be any editions by Ditko or Colan, Dracula and Spidey NEED the treatment. Also keep up the fantastic work you are doing it means a lot to us comic art lovers.

I hope so, I'd love to own those too!

And thanks for the kind words.

Best,

Scott

I hope so, I'd love to own those too!

And thanks for the kind words.

Best,

Scott

Please, please, please talk to Romitaman (although I suspect may already have). :wishluck:

Here is a list courtesy of Comic Book Daily of all the Artists Editions produced or being produced amongst the various companies.

Artists Editions

Nice to see the (initial) sales figures are mentioned for most titles. Most sold 'only' a few hundred copies, with 2 or 3 exceptions that sold roughly one or two thousand copies. I wonder if that will have an impact on the addition of more AE editions; is selling only a few hundred copies - even at a $100+ price point - lucrative enough ?

I'm one that is a little skeptical about it, and here's why:

The Watchmen Artifact edition was horrendous. Worst one they've put out by far. The pages were clearly was not scanned "in house" from the same scanner and design professionals but rather likely just taken from whatever cruddy scan the page owner had put up in their CAF gallery.

Every other page looked different. About a third of the pages looked good. As far as the rest? Some looked like bleached out BW photocopies, some looked like they'd been soaked in radioactive urine. Some scans were blue, some scans were pink (not a joke). My copy is on eBay right now. It's aggravating to look at after the expectations I had from IDW. (they'd set the bar high for themselves with pvs volumes)

I am guessing that the Marvel Covers edition will be done the same way. Surely owners from across the country are not all mailing their actual covers to IDW to scan properly, but rather will be just emailing whatever JPG they have sitting on their hard drive.

I expect the book's overall quality to be on par with the Watchmen volume (ug), and will be waiting to flip through a copy in person before I fork out any money.

Just my two cents. (Hope you prove me wrong, Scott!)

FINALLY cracked open the WATCHMEN AE. I'd seen most of the pages already, so wasn't in any hurry to see them in the book. Now that I have...while I don't feel as strongly as you, I do agree with the criticism. The scan quality is very inconsistent to say the least. Surprised to see b/w scans when the AE credo is to reproduce OA in color. Then again, even the color scans are off on many of the pages I've seen in person.

Definitely not up to IDW's usual high standards for this line.

Curious that there is no McFarlane.

Wonder if it was a relationship thing? or a rights/permission thing?

The book stopped in the 80's. I look forward to a copy. IMO it could inspire a series so i hope it sells well. IDW could do books from each era or even focused on single artists like Gil Kane, who was such a prolific cover artist or titles.

I would love to see a Mcfarlane book, or a best of Spider-man covers book. An early 90's centric cover book featuring the image founders marvel work and other popular artists as well.

FINALLY cracked open the WATCHMEN AE. I'd seen most of the pages already, so wasn't in any hurry to see them in the book. Now that I have...while I don't feel as strongly as you, I do agree with the criticism. The scan quality is very inconsistent to say the least. Surprised to see b/w scans when the AE credo is to reproduce OA in color. Then again, even the color scans are off on many of the pages I've seen in person.

Definitely not up to IDW's usual high standards for this line.

Yeah, my high hopes and subsequent letdown definitely made my criticism a bit more harsh than it needed to be, but then again, maybe not.

They weren't writing anything... they weren't drawing anything... they'd even given themselves a pass on trying to compile complete stories.

For your $100 bucks, the ONLY thing they were promising to do to do was present the material in a way that made you feel like you were looking at the pages. And at that they failed.

Here is a list courtesy of Comic Book Daily of all the Artists Editions produced or being produced amongst the various companies.

Artists Editions

I find some of this sales data hard to believe. I just checked our sales for the various IDW Artist Editions and if the data on Comic Book Daily is accurate we would have sold more than 5% of the reported initial sales figure for some of the books. I seriously doubt that.

I think that their sales figures is accurate for the Dark Horse books however. I did not order the Elfquest volume at all and ordered only 1 copy of the Robocop vs Terminator book (which still didn't sell by the way).

It would be interesting to see the evolution of sales for certain of the volumes that have been published up to now.

But it's still hard to believe that my initial order for the second Romita Spider-Man volume was 25 out of only 370 copies.

Interesting: retailer data is always nice to have. Which store are you ordering for? How many copies of Artist's Editions do you normally order, and what percentage of those are pre-sales?

I added links to the sales numbers that show the title: if they shipped less than number 300 in the top three hundred list then I put down "less than...".

I work for a big store in Paris France. I usually order 15 to 25 copies of Artist Editions, except for a few like Bone, Manhunter and Peanuts. Sales have been slower since the New Gods volume. Most customer are complaining about to many releases and the space required to stock a collection of 15 to 20 volumes. I am now down to 10 to 15 copies of each volume, except for the upcoming Silver Surfer volume.

Pre-sales are generally around 5 copies.