• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

IDW Marvels Covers Artists Edition

137 posts in this topic

I'm surprised about all the complains about the selection of art.

Do you know how hard is to compile a book such like this one?! Many of the top collectors don't bother to collaborate, and many others have the art framed and don't want to remove it from there. I know first hand because often I try to get nice images of pieces from collectors for my mag, and it's really difficult to get them to cooperate.

I think that we should congratulate that this edition exist and how lucky we are for having the opportunity to enjoy these historical covers compiled in a high quality book, even if it has not the perfect selection.

Very good point, Ferran.

I can well imagine how hard it is for collectors to want to go to all the trouble of removing framed originals and go through all the hassle of making scans.

As you say, not the perfect selection (it doesn't quite tie-in with my own collecting interests), but for the stuff that does push my buttons, I'm more than happy to own this book - so a big thank you to Scott Dunbier and the collectors who contributed to this volume. :applause:

I have a quickie Thor sketch by Walt Simonson in my Thor AE and I will be happy as punch if he will sign my Manhunter AE after I pick it up and maybe even do a sketch in it. I am even planning on bringing some brown markers for it!

I did not buy the covers AE and do not plan to. I need the rest of the EC ones first; then the MAD one, then ... You get the idea. But I was surprised at the ToC; it seems to me that there are 2 books here, not one. I would have separated the older era artists and the newer guys into separate books if possible. Steranko, Colan, Frenz, Cockrum et al in one book and Art Adams, McFarlane, Alan Davis in the next. Then I could get more Sandy Plunkett and such in the first volume and guys like Silvestri, even up to current guys like McNiven, in the second. Many guys, like Simonson, could go in both volumes or either one depending on pages.

They are pumping out AEs as fast as they can it seems. And that is excluding DC. I do not think the material is so scarce or sacred that we should accept whatever we get without criticism.

Walt was kind enough to sign and personalize my Thor AE a few years back when it was first released. Its something that'll always be in my collection, so I've got no qualms of getting it signed that way. If I ever run into John Workman at a convention, I'll certainly try to get his signature for it as well.

Resale is the last thing I'm worried about.

. . . I was surprised at the ToC; it seems to me that there are 2 books here, not one. I would have separated the older era artists and the newer guys into separate books if possible.

My sentiments, but on a positive note it's interesting to be given the opportunity to study those covers I'm not familiar with (i.e. outside my era of comic-book collecting).

Many thanks for the replies, no I don't intend on selling, it will be a keeper. However I was concerned about what other collectors thought and I am delighted you agree, also I like the idea of using the book for other artists. This is a list of who is coming late October: Herb Trimpe, Jose Delbo, Simon Bisley, P.J.Holden, Will Simpson, James O;Barr and Glen Fabry. Again thank you for any suggestions.

Resale is the last thing I'm worried about.

I envision myself an old infirm man requesting that someone set those big books out again! When I have nothing else, I plan on being able to pore over these things and give them the time they deserve. More likely is that my wife finds them 20 years after my death in the converted closet I store stuff in, dusts them off, and donates them to the local library. (She is a big library supporter!)

Funny thing is I was just in my daughter's room and found a copy of a Usagi Yojimo trade she had been reading on her nightstand with a glass of water on it. The nerd part of me was a bit annoyed that there would now be a water ring on the book. But the dad part of me was very happy that the book was being read and enjoyed.

Funny thing is I was just in my daughter's room and found a copy of a Usagi Yojimo trade she had been reading on her nightstand with a glass of water on it. The nerd part of me was a bit annoyed that there would now be a water ring on the book. But the dad part of me was very happy that the book was being read and enjoyed.

CGC should invent a super-slab for TPBs.

There is one other query, how much would he charge roughly for a drawing, thanks. P.S: This is my first ever meeting with a Marvel legend, I am so looking forward to the meeting.

This weekend he was charging $60 for a head sketch. I prefer his predone work, to his sketches. Check if he brought any sketches with him, before you shell out the money.

CGC should invent a super-slab for TPBs.

I used to read comics while taking a bath--those were the days!

I just wanted to hear from other collectors more experienced than me, as I am a newbie at original art collecting. On the other hand I just love comic art in all its shapes and forms. Earlier someone mentioned slabbing, now that I hate as I feel it takes the book out of your hands into being a show piece. As for slabbing a book like the Artist's editions, then we are going into the realm of Star trek and the invention of special plastic, anyone for a whale of a time (ouch).

Believe me when I say that this visit is so rare, Belfast N.Ireland has been such a back water that any one coming here is a miracle. I intend to make the most of this visit and really enjoy the artists company, heck I don't even care if any of them are rude.I have always enjoyed comic book art even from when I was a small child,and got those colouring books of heroes I would copy the drawing instead of filling them in.

Believe me when I say that this visit is so rare, Belfast N.Ireland has been such a back water that any one coming here is a miracle. I intend to make the most of this visit and really enjoy the artists company, heck I don't even care if any of them are rude.I have always enjoyed comic book art even from when I was a small child,and got those colouring books of heroes I would copy the drawing instead of filling them in.

Fwiw, the vast bulk of comic professionals I've met are kind, friendly folks. There's always a rotten apple in a bunch, but just being conversational goes a long way.

I was really delighted with this Artist's edition especially seeing those Tomb of Dracula covers, what a great artist Gene Colan was in his time. In fact I am waiting on IDW to release an artist's edition of his work, then I could die happy followed by a Ditko Spider-man yes I'm greedy.