• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

When will the New Mutants 98 bubble burst?
1 1

1,121 posts in this topic

Not that it matters, but nobody over 35 where i work has ever heard of Deadpool , I have barley heard of him myself and I collect comics. although just GA and early SA

Well, the fact that a good number of people do not know about him does not mean he’s not popular and getting popular by the day.

There are many people of that age (35-40) which probably have teenage kids already knowing about Deadpool, and now this movie gives a complete exposure to the character.

People in Italy do not even know who Archie is, or most of the DC Comics less known characters (given the discontinuing nature of DC publications here) but most people will be exposed to Deadpool on a movie level, so they get to know the character and could discover the comics later on.

Also, most people UNDER 35 in the USA barely know the richness of Walt Disney‘s comics universe, as opposed to most people in Europe, of all ages. This is a fact.

DC and Marvel are going to have to do something different to better draw audiences to comics than they have the last decade. We are living in the era of "Superhero Cinema" and it all isn't translating to comic sales. While I love it like most on the boards, it will not last forever.

It doesn't matter how popular Deadpool becomes short term, if comic sales don't start seeing better sales over the long term there will be far less readers. Less readers will mean there are far less collectors (and speculators - which account for far more ownership of key comics than we discuss around here) looking for copies of NM98. If you think that NM98 will be held aloft by movie fans alone you are probably a redneck.

:grin:

Edited by rfoiii

DC and Marvel are going to have to do something different to better draw audiences to comics than they have the last decade. We are living in the era of "Superhero Cinema" and it all isn't translating to comic sales. While I love it like most on the boards, it will not last forever.

It doesn't matter how popular Deadpool becomes short term, if comic sales don't start seeing better sales over the long term there will be far less readers. Less readers will mean there are far less collectors (and speculators - which account for far more ownership of key comics than we discuss around here) looking for copies of NM98. If you think that NM98 will be held aloft by movie fans alone you are probably a redneck.

bullseye

I don’t know what you are commenting on, but just so you know my reply was directed at 1950s war comics which was wondering about Deadpool's popularity, and aimed at that one alone.

On that, I truly hope so. I still have problem having a grasp on how much that could have been benefical for Marvel. So far, it hasn't. Earning a lot of money means nothing if you lose your soul.

Anybody know what the current digital comic book sales are?

Something tells me they are making money off these a lot better than they are letting on.

Think about it they have cut out the middleman.

Cheaper to produce,so more profit.

If anybody has some digital sales info it would be interesting to look at.

Like wouldn`t it be interesting to know that Deadpool sells way more digital comics than the traditional comics?

I like to see some data. I am amazed how hushed hushed it is.

I don’t know what you are commenting on, but just so you know my reply was directed at 1950s war comics which was wondering about Deadpool's popularity, and aimed at that one alone.

It was just a comment in general.

On that, I truly hope so. I still have problem having a grasp on how much that could have been benefical for Marvel. So far, it hasn't. Earning a lot of money means nothing if you lose your soul.

I have no idea what you mean here.

I can be, but no trace of them (both the "digital comics" and the data) will remain.

At some point there will be no trace (or a very little one) of comic books too. There is something to be said about the growth of digital comics and the positive environmental impact.

Edited by rfoiii

Anybody know what the current digital comic book sales are?

Something tells me they are making money off these a lot better than they are letting on.

Think about it they have cut out the middleman.

Cheaper to produce,so more profit.

If anybody has some digital sales info it would be interesting to look at.

Like wouldn`t it be interesting to know that Deadpool sells way more digital comics than the traditional comics?

I like to see some data. I am amazed how hushed hushed it is.

Digital sales account for 1 out of every 5 comics sold. ICv2 publishes numbers a few times a year. Publishers say Digital sales match pamphlet sales. So, Marvel's top selling comic is also their top selling Digital comic, etc. Digital sale growth has slowed way down. I'll be surprised if they account for 1 out of every 4 comics sold anytime soon.

Edited by rjrjr

Sorry if someone's made this observation already but over 8000 copies of Hulk #181’s on the census vs 9500 copies of NM #98’s. 1500 books is not such a huge gap when talking about multi thousands. Point being, if Hulk #181 is still strong after all these years... why not NM #98’s?

Quantity is all relative to demand of course. Deadpool may not be for us old timers but as long as enough younger collectors like him, NM #98 will be the Hulk #181 of the modern era.

Tastes can, and probably will change over time but personally, I'd short books like Ms Marvel or She Hulk or Night Wing or Cyborg before Deadpool.

Sorry if someone's made this observation already but over 8000 copies of Hulk #181’s on the census vs 9500 copies of NM #98’s. 1500 books is not such a huge gap when talking about multi thousands. Point being, if Hulk #181 is still strong after all these years... why not NM #98’s?

Quantity is all relative to demand of course. Deadpool may not be for us old timers but as long as enough younger collectors like him, NM #98 will be the Hulk #181 of the modern era.

Tastes can, and probably will change over time but personally, I'd short books like Ms Marvel or She Hulk or Night Wing or Cyborg before Deadpool.

130,000 people attended SDCC last year. That's a small percentage of all con-goers traveling to various hometown cons year round. Is 9500 copies a lot, in relation to other books that are on the census? Yeah.

Can you really say it's a lot when considering how many people are into comic collecting, whether fringe collectors or serious? I don't think so.

I have no idea what you mean here.

In part, that’s probably why these movies have had such a huge success. They have a little to do with what the original comics and the Marvel age has been.

As for the "disappearance" of comics (or books, if I understand correctly) I don’t think these speculations make any sense: you will always need a material support for everything, and with a power shortage you can’t read anything, while I can still read graffiti on million-years-old stone surfaces. We are men of flash and bone, you can have a period when things to be read on screen or on devices can be fashionable, but it‘s not much believable as a permanent thing. Unless people stop to read, in which case it means our civilization is not doing well.

As for the "disappearance" of comics (or books, if I understand correctly) I don’t think these speculations make any sense: you will always need a material support for everything, and with a power shortage you can’t read anything, while I can still read graffiti on million-years-old stone surfaces. We are men of flash and bone, you can have a period when things to be read on screen or on devices can be fashionable, but it‘s not much believable as a permanent thing. Unless people stop to read, in which case it means our civilization is not doing well.

We don't need to get into a debate about this as it is pretty off topic, but printed materials are already in steep decline across the board. Books and other things printed on paper are going to all disappear as this accelerates with generational norm shifts . The only thing that might keep them around in small amounts are nostalgia and if a catastrophic event destroys electronic reading devices completely. However, for one to be nostalgic they must have experienced it in their youth (which is why I personally like owning some paper comics). We know this is true due to current examples of the explosion of electronic reading driving reduction in printed materials with the internet age - ex. Newspapers.

It likely won't happen within your lifetime, but once the young children of today are in their 60's+, there will not be new reading material printed - everything will be electronic.

Edited by rfoiii

130,000 people attended SDCC last year. That's a small percentage of all con-goers traveling to various hometown cons year round. Is 9500 copies a lot, in relation to other books that are on the census? Yeah.

Can you really say it's a lot when considering how many people are into comic collecting, whether fringe collectors or serious? I don't think so.

Your example isn't logically sound.

It is a lot. Realistically it is a hugely massive number of CGC copies (not to mention it has been substantiated that there are over 200,000 surviving copies in total). Many of which are in individuals collections being slabbed and/or sold raw a copy at a time to maximize profits (there are numerous testimonies of long boxes full of this comic all over the place). This means that the supply is being purposefully limited to manage demand and increase/maintain market pricing. It is hard to say what will happen once the majority of copies are actually in the traded market.

To your point, not every person who attends comic con or a "pop-culture" fan is a Deadpool fan, nor is every person who attends these (even if they are a Deadpool fan) looking for a copy of NM98. Very few people (and I do mean very few) actually have enough money for a $750+ comic book - it seems like otherwise on here but economically speaking that is a large amount of money to >70% of the population of the US and >90% of the population of the world.

That said, based on market dynamics, there is enough demand at current to sustain pricing. There is no practical way to determine how many copies are owned by dealers, speculators, profiteers, collectors or other (i.e. the distribution of who owns these books is important as owners other than comic dealers and collectors are the only ones who would own the book outside of the ability to make large profits - meaning speculators/profiteers/casual dealer/flipper/etc will dump the book in market the second prices start to fall below their target investment level). While there are popular movies being produced all of these people will continue buying/selling the book, but once the media train stops (and it will, it may be 10-20 years from now but it will) all that will be left are dealers and collectors. When you combine that action with the true supply hitting the market, we will then see if the demand still outpaces supply.

Which really is the point here, many people are buying this book assuming that the current run-up in pricing indicates that it is a solid "investment" long-term and that huge gains are still possible. This is a very risky assumption given the points above - and pause for consideration. At current the NM98 market is still in its infancy and there is a lot still to happen that will determine its long-term value beyond the soap-box preachers touting the movie popularity.

Edited by rfoiii

We don't need to get into a debate about this as it is pretty off topic, but printed materials are already in steep decline across the board. Books and other things printed on paper are going to all disappear as this accelerates with generational norm shifts . The only thing that might keep them around in small amounts are nostalgia and if a catastrophic event destroys electronic reading devices completely. However, for one to be nostalgic they must have experienced it in their youth (which is why I personally like owning some paper comics). We know this is true due to current examples of the explosion of electronic reading driving reduction in printed materials with the internet age - ex. Newspapers.

It likely won't happen within your lifetime, but once the young children of today are in their 60's+, there will not be new reading material printed - everything will be electronic.

Its a sound argument. Currently its not the case though. Comic books is one of the areas that has been highly resistant to digital take over. This has really surprised me, but we are actually increasing again in sales. I haven't seen any numbers lately to see if the trend is still increasing.

Its a sound argument. Currently its not the case though. Comic books is one of the areas that has been highly resistant to digital take over. This has really surprised me, but we are actually increasing again in sales. I haven't seen any numbers lately to see if the trend is still increasing.

¡Gracias! (for the polite response). :D

In fairness I did say that it likely wouldn't happen in "our lifetime" (given relative ages) and would be when young children (2-5 year olds) are in their 60's. So in 55-64 years...