• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

When will the New Mutants 98 bubble burst?
1 1

1,121 posts in this topic

Give me your honest answer here.

If both NM 98 and TMNT #1 again had the same print runs and were worth 1k in CGC 9.8. If I owned 10 copies of each book and I tried to sell them side by side starting one year from now. Which would sell faster in your opinion and why.

Why not apply the same logic to AF 15, or TEC 27, Action 1...? What about Hulk 1 or FF 1?

It is a ridiculous speculative question whose answer will mirror the preferences stated before.

We get it, you sell a lot of NM98s. Congrats! What does that have to do with the value of it long-term relative to the value of TMNT 1 long-term?

You provide no other context other than, "I'm special because I sell comics and say so" and "lots of people are buying NM98 right now."

Honestly, your points are very arrogant and self-serving.

Calling the kettle black are yea. :baiting:

Maybe. However, I am not the one going around touting that I own a comic shop and therefore my word is law on comics.

:shrug:

I also have no stake in the resale value of any of these comics while you do. If anything you stating that you sell a ton of NM 98 and then vehemently arguing that NM 98 is the best book to buy is more than a little self-serving. It even boarders on unethical.

Please never compare me to a comic book store owner again. :tonofbricks:

People should invest in what they believe in right? Of course yes.

That makes no sense if you ask someone what to buy and they tell you that is unethical. :ohnoez:

I can't keep NM 98's in stock that is the reality as of 3/1/16. So by telling you this that boarders on unethical? No one would agree with that. Come on dude......

If you were a collector and came to me and had 5k to spend and you were either going to buy my NM 98 CGC 9.8 for $800 or my TMNT #1 CGC 9.4 for 5k I would honestly tell you buy the NM #98.

I understand we don't live in a what if reality, but all things being equal NM #98 right now is most important copper age book. (even though I kinda consider it a Modern book).

I can't have these conservations with you or anyone going forward if you can't be honest and just admit the main reason TMNT #1 is worth what it is is because of the print run. Its a good book with likable characters that benefited from a low print run same as Walking dead #1. Why is that not logical to people?

(yes I am trying to keep this friendly and I do realize you love TMNT's but also realize I have no love for Deadpool or TMNT just giving my honest opinion of what I see.)

Edited by NewWorldOrder

If both NM 98 and TMNT #1 again had the same print runs and were worth 1k in CGC 9.8. If I owned 10 copies of each book and I tried to sell them side by side starting one year from now. Which would sell faster in your opinion and why.

Why not apply the same logic to AF 15, or TEC 27, Action 1...? What about Hulk 1 or FF 1?

It is a ridiculous speculative question whose answer will mirror the preferences stated before.

We get it, you sell a lot of NM98s. Congrats! What does that have to do with the value of it long-term relative to the value of TMNT 1 long-term?

You provide no other context other than, "I'm special because I sell comics and say so" and "lots of people are buying NM98 right now."

Maybe. However, I am not the one going around touting that I own a comic shop and therefore my word is law on comics.

I also have no stake in the resale value of any of these comics while you do. If anything you stating that you sell a ton of NM 98 and then vehemently arguing that NM 98 is the best book to buy is more than a little self-serving. It even boarders on unethical.

That makes no sense if you ask someone what to buy and they tell you that is unethical. :ohnoez:

I can't keep NM 98's in stock that is the reality as of 3/1/16. So by telling you this that boarders on unethical? No one would agree with that. Come on dude......

If you were a collector and came to me and had 5k to spend and you were either going to buy my NM 98 CGC 9.8 for $800 or my TMNT #1 CGC 9.4 for 5k I would honestly tell you buy the NM #98.

I understand we don't live in a what if reality, but all things being equal NM #98 right now is most important copper age book. (even though I kinda consider it a Modern book).

I can't have these conservation with you or anyone going forward if you be honest and just admit the main reason TMNT #1 is worth what it is is because of the print run. Its a good book that benefit from a low print run same as Walking dead #1. Why is that not logical to people?

(yes I am trying to keep this friendly and I do realize you love TMNT's but also realize I have no love for Deadpool or TMNT just giving my honest opinion of what I see.)

Because the millions of fans all over the world mean something to the value of TMNT 1.

Print run IS important, but it is not the only factor.

I can't have these conservation with you or anyone going forward if you be honest and just admit the main reason TMNT #1 is worth what it is is because of the print run. Its a good book that benefit from a low print run same as Walking dead #1. Why is that not logical to people?

Take any popular book. Now make it rarer. The price almost certainly goes up. I don't think anyone disagrees with that facet of it. I think all the disagreement lives elsewhere.

Because the millions of fans all over the world mean something to the value of TMNT 1.

I think some of you really over estimate the overall world popularity of TMNT.

Transformers is more popular but you don't see #1 selling for 5k because of the print run.

Mix a black cover on cheaper paper with a low-print run with marketable characters of course it will make for a valuable book. If it had the same print run as NM 98 it would be selling at the same levels or a tad less.

I am not insulting the book.....relax. lol

How do you feel about NM98 vs TMNT1?

Deadpool outclasses that book.

Same price tag NM 98's would sell much faster.

Only reason TMNT #1 is worth that much is of course because of the low print run.

I can't agree with any of this.

Deadpool is hot right now, that's all.

The Ninja Turtles are a global success and have been for decades.

You don't have to agree, just know you don't do this for a living so I don't have agree with you either. (shrug)

So you are an expert on the matter because more people ask about books that are very well known to be more affordable than a TMNT #1?

Action #1 is pretty popular, how many times are you asked about a price on one of those?

Before I humor you why do you think TMNT #1 is vastly worth more than the list below?

ASM 300

NM 98

DD 168

WD #1

Bat 12

The obvious smaller print run plays a factor as does the Turtles being a far more common household name than the majority of the characters/books you've listed.

That is the only factor.

So not sure why people get so defensive about TMNT#1

TMNT #1 is a good book just not a book I would consider now more important than some other copper key books.

If TNMT #1 had the same print run as NM 98 and you had them both side by side in CGC 9.8 with similar values you can bet NM 98 would outsell TMNT #1. That is my point.

The print run is not the only factor.

The Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles are known and loved by many globally and have been for decades. Deadpool is a blip on the screen in comparison.

To feel decades of being cherished would be outsold by a trend isn't something I will agree with either.

Deadpool was more popular in the comic book world well before the movie.

Print run is 110% the only factor.

TMNT yes has a couple more terrible POS movies, but Deadpool after this monster move hit (which just passed CAP 2 Winter Solder at the box office) has just started his rise to an A player.

Ryan Reynolds did to Deadpool what RDj did to Iron Man.

I have no long-term love for either of these characters for my own collection. This is my personal account of dealing these books for the past 10 years.

Oh, just stop now. You're being silly.

Print run is not "110% the only factor", self-evidently, or my Strangers in Paradise #1 9.8...with the same print run as Turtles #1...would have sold for 10 times what it sold for. Obviously, the strength of value is in their popularity.

You have posted, multiple times, a hoard of New Mutants #98 slabs, which you admit you are selling, so your motives aren't pure. Of course you would want to hype the book, even if you're not aware that that's what you're doing.

Yes, Deadpool is certainly enjoying his moment in the sun...but Turtles have had their moments, too, and likely will again. If we want to compare, Turtles have been more popular, for a greater amount of their history, than Deadpool has, by a long mile. You, being the age you are, of course wouldn't remember that about Turtles, but to say that they had a "couple more POS movies", when the Turtles are a billion dollar+ franchise just in film, proves you don't really understand what you're saying...again.

Transformers is more popular but you don't see #1 selling for 5k because of the print run.

Mix a black cover on cheaper paper with a low-print run with marketable characters of course it will make for a valuable book. If it had the same print run as NM 98 it would be selling at the same levels or a tad less.

I don't see anyone thinking you're "insulting" the book, or being "defensive." You're making some entirely unsubstantiated claims, and people are rightly refuting those claims, and you're insulting THEM by saying they're "being defensive" just by correcting your misinformation.

meh

How do you feel about NM98 vs TMNT1?

Deadpool outclasses that book.

Same price tag NM 98's would sell much faster.

Only reason TMNT #1 is worth that much is of course because of the low print run.

I can't agree with any of this.

Deadpool is hot right now, that's all.

The Ninja Turtles are a global success and have been for decades.

You don't have to agree, just know you don't do this for a living so I don't have agree with you either. (shrug)

So you are an expert on the matter because more people ask about books that are very well known to be more affordable than a TMNT #1?

Action #1 is pretty popular, how many times are you asked about a price on one of those?

Before I humor you why do you think TMNT #1 is vastly worth more than the list below?

ASM 300

NM 98

DD 168

WD #1

Bat 12

The obvious smaller print run plays a factor as does the Turtles being a far more common household name than the majority of the characters/books you've listed.

That is the only factor.

So not sure why people get so defensive about TMNT#1

TMNT #1 is a good book just not a book I would consider now more important than some other copper key books.

If TNMT #1 had the same print run as NM 98 and you had them both side by side in CGC 9.8 with similar values you can bet NM 98 would outsell TMNT #1. That is my point.

The print run is not the only factor.

The Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles are known and loved by many globally and have been for decades. Deadpool is a blip on the screen in comparison.

To feel decades of being cherished would be outsold by a trend isn't something I will agree with either.

Deadpool was more popular in the comic book world well before the movie.

Print run is 110% the only factor.

TMNT yes has a couple more terrible POS movies, but Deadpool after this monster move hit (which just passed CAP 2 Winter Solder at the box office) has just started his rise to an A player.

Ryan Reynolds did to Deadpool what RDj did to Iron Man.

I have no long-term love for either of these characters for my own collection. This is my personal account of dealing these books for the past 10 years.

Oh, just stop now. You're being silly.

Print run is not "110% the only factor", self-evidently, or my Strangers in Paradise #1 9.8...with the same print run as Turtles #1...would have sold for 10 times what it sold for. Obviously, the strength of value is in their popularity.

You have posted, multiple times, a hoard of New Mutants #98 slabs, which you admit you are selling, so your motives aren't pure. Of course you would want to hype the book, even if you're not aware that that's what you're doing.

Yes, Deadpool is certainly enjoying his moment in the sun...but Turtles have had their moments, too, and likely will again. If we want to compare, Turtles have been more popular, for a greater amount of their history, than Deadpool has, by a long mile. You, being the age you are, of course wouldn't remember that about Turtles, but to say that they had a "couple more POS movies", when the Turtles are a billion dollar+ franchise just in film, proves you don't really understand what you're saying...again.

Low Print is the main reason TMNT #1 is worth it's GPA values.

I don't see anyone thinking you're "insulting" the book, or being "defensive." You're making some entirely unsubstantiated claims, and people are rightly refuting those claims, and you're insulting THEM by saying they're "being defensive" just by correcting your misinformation.

meh

What is $10 for this book? But, back then, it WAS something, which is why it generated the responses it did: "what? People are paying TEN DOLLARS for that??!

------

That's what I'm saying, $10 ten years ago for an early 90s glut era comic made it a major key of that era! Now all sorts of junk from then sells for $10+.

lol

I'm glad we can finally agree on something. ;)

What is $10 for this book? But, back then, it WAS something, which is why it generated the responses it did: "what? People are paying TEN DOLLARS for that??!

------

That's what I'm saying, $10 ten years ago for an early 90s glut era comic made it a major key of that era! Now all sorts of junk from then sells for $10+.

lol

I'm glad we can finally agree on something. ;)

Same was said for DareDevil #1 in the 1970's.

One generation's DREK is the next's gold.

meh

So, why isn't Amazing Man #26, by all accounts one of the rarest Golden Age books that still exists, worth more than Action Comics #1? Why isn't Suspense Comics #3, another prime rarity, worth more than Detective Comics #27?

No, the main reason TMNT #1 is worth its GPA values is because the Turtles are tremendously popular. It's supply AND demand. There are many comics that are just as rare, and rarer, than Turtles #1, but aren't worth $50.

While TMNT is significant, it's also true that you can sell 3 copies of deadpool faster than 1 copy of TMNT. Nothing wrong with both books.

the Tick, Cerebus and Love and Rockets are books I prefer

outside of the magazine sized books and the additional printings are there other valuable TMNT books?

Turtle Mania Silver #1

Turtle Mania Gold #1

(however, I know I am opening up myself on this one due to print runs)

outside of the magazine sized books and the additional printings are there other valuable TMNT books?

1st Prints 2-5 are not bad, but generally not so much.

To be fair the same for Deadpool. Besides the books that are benefiting from the movie hype IMO the top 3 Deadpool issues to own are:

1. NM 98

2. Seige #3 J. Scott Campbell variant (very low print run). I bid very high on this and still lost.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/SIEGE-3-Deadpool-Variant-J-Scott-Campbel-Rare-Movie-Wolverine-CGC-Ready-/191801386818?hash=item2ca840e742:g:ByAAAOSwx-9Wt3hT

#3 Wolverine #1 Scott Campbell variant (very low print run)-even though its technically a Wolverine cover.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/WOLVERINE-1-DEADPOOL-VARIANT-SCOTT-CAMPBELL-RARE-GOLD-SIGNATURE-SIGNED-STAN-LEE-/361423343288?hash=item5426828eb8:g:ORkAAOSwI-BWOtYu

Hope that helps.