• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

When will the New Mutants 98 bubble burst?
1 1

1,121 posts in this topic

What is this thread about again?

It's about how the Deadpool bubble will pop because society lacks depth.

I argue that Deadpool will continue... because society lacks depth lol

Long-term success ultimately is driven by a character's abilitity to resonate with generations of children and find sufficient space in the hearts and minds for nostalgia to fill in adulthood. This requires well-rounded, stand-alone characters that can be written over multiple generations and remain relevant. Good examples are Spider-Man and more recently Wolverine.

Or maybe you don't understand this generation and this character resonates with them.

Have you looked at the current generation? lol

Apologies to the current generation for insulting you, just a little bit. :devil:

They will grow up eventually and want more than poop and hyper violent jokes. Of course kids of today like it, by emulating it they get away with adult themed activities they would normally have no view of.

He does the same thing to everyone, all the time. There has to be more than that for Deadpool to be anything other than a short-term fad.

I am in my mid-40s and I liked it. Not every joke, sure. Would I have seen the movie in the theatre if my kid wasn't bugging me to see it? Probably not. But that's because I only see a few movies a year nowadays. We spend over $100 a month for a badjillion satellite channels, I feel dumb dropping $30-40 on movies at the theatre every week like I used to when we didn't have kids and "went out" thursday, friday, and saturday every week (and sometimes saw a movie on sunday also).

rfoiii... the deeper question you might want to contemplate is:

Is the popularity of Deadpool the result of society, or is society the result of Deadpool (or the like)? What leads what?

rfoiii... the deeper question you might want to contemplate is:

Is the popularity of Deadpool the result of society, or is society the result of Deadpool (or the like)? What leads what?

Seriously though, I feel like the answer to this question is Donald Trump.

A nice NM Hulk 181 was a $500 book in the mid-90s, not $200. Indeed, I was offered that much, by a dealer, for my copy in 95 or 96.

ASM 129 was way more than $200 as well during Punisher's peak whenever that was.

So many of his basic facts are off. Incredible someone developed a whole site for this.

If NM 98 becomes a $75 book again any time soon it will be because the entire market/industry has crashed worse than the 90s crash.

Yes, yes, I know, ASM 129 was $25 on ebay in 1999, or so I have been told. All I know is that was a weird post apocalyptic time where you got lousy prices for good stuff but almost EVERYTHING you put up there sold for a few bucks. No rationality to it at all. I sold some dopey Jademan comic for $4 and barely broke $8 on a VG TOS 57.

Edited by the blob

Yes, yes, I know, ASM 129 was $25 on ebay in 1999, or so I have been told. All I know is that was a weird post apocalyptic time where you got lousy prices for good stuff but almost EVERYTHING you put up there sold for a few bucks. No rationality to it at all.

I was on ebay in 1997... there were no $25 copies of ASM #129 unless it was beat to heckfire.

Not everyone had a way to load photos, though, so books without pictures probably did go cheap if the seller had no feedback.

ASM #300 was $30 to $50 on ebay at that time, while the price guides had it at $100.

It was around that time that ebay completed sales started being a better guide than any guide... or you could just take the guide price and half it.

Maybe once the Baby Boomers are gone... but by then, I'll wont need my copies anymore while I'm relaxing in the dirt.

The same could be said about Diamonds but people still kill for it. It's not rare or useful... All manipulated by De Beers as the ultimate symbol of love, marriage and status. To me, its the greatest pet rock ever.

il_fullxfull.382198227_9sy1.jpg

Pet_rock.jpg

It just goes to show you:

And that's all I'm saying... :boo:

Edited by Vger7

Yes, yes, I know, ASM 129 was $25 on ebay in 1999, or so I have been told. All I know is that was a weird post apocalyptic time where you got lousy prices for good stuff but almost EVERYTHING you put up there sold for a few bucks. No rationality to it at all.

I was on ebay in 1997... there were no $25 copies of ASM #129 unless it was beat to heckfire.

Not everyone had a way to load photos, though, so books without pictures probably did go cheap if the seller had no feedback.

---------

people here have given this $25 number here many times for that period. i have no way of disputing it. i don't remember it, but i don't know how hard i was looking for that book in 1999 as I was more into GA and SA at that time for spending "real money"

---------

people here have given this $25 number here many times for that period. i have no way of disputing it. i don't remember it, but i don't know how hard i was looking for that book in 1999 as I was more into GA and SA at that time for spending "real money"

I still wouldn't pay $25 for an ASM 129. :shrug:

ASM #300 was $30 to $50 on ebay at that time, while the price guides had it at $100.

It was around that time that ebay completed sales started being a better guide than any guide... or you could just take the guide price and half it.

1997 is a bit early for that. not many folks were on ebay yet in 1997. it didn't even go public until 1998. it had 2 million auctions in 1997, total. there are over 2 million listings for comics right now, today. different world. in 1999 my LCS was complaining about ebay becoming an issue.

---------

Joe Collector was the one claiming ASM #129 was "$25 on eBay", which I don't believe. I bought a large run of Punishers...the guy was a Punisher fanatic...for $300, which included #129 up to about 1991. A long box full of just Punisher appearances...in, I want to say 2002 or so. Still have the #134 and #135, because they were flawless. Probably a 9.8 on the #135.

Not sure that Punisher's a good example to use as a proxy for eBay's change on the market because the character was out-of-favor overall for a few years in the late '90s.

The three titles were cancelled, the Bernie Wrightson mini bombed & the character didn't get respect again until the Garth Ennis series.

I know because I picked up a 9.0 copy of ASM 129 from my local comic shop in the late '90s for just $100. It had been a solid $200-$225 book at that same shop just a few years before.

Ditto, Punisher War Journal 1 went from being a $20 book to $4 (or less) during that time period.