• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

ASM 300 on fire

161 posts in this topic

That was why I said the hope. Is the rest of it just a rumor? I thought they'd cancelled the project?

Nothing officially cancelled, but rumors exist etc

http://uproxx.com/gammasquad/2014/10/spider-man-reboot-new-actors-venom-cancelled/

I didn't care for Jim Lee's 90s stuff - looked too generic Image crew for my taste, but his more recent material is far better than average. He wouldn't make my personal top 50 list, but I'd be fine with him on a book I wanted to read. His current style kind of looks like Neal Adams inking 80s era Frank Miller.

McFarlane is one of those artists I could see why people liked, but he never did anything for me. I guess it's that 90s look to his art. While his stuff is better than a lot of his peers at Marvel/Image who were big around the same time, it still reminds me of the worst of that era.

Amazing Spider-man 300 isnt just about Venom, its also the symbol of an entire generation which ultimately became larger than the hype.

The cover is iconic and as famous to all generations as Hulk 181 cover.

the 2 most recognized covers of all time besides Action comics #1 and AF#15!

McFarlane will go down as the greatest comic book Icon of all time. He could eventually be more popular than Stan Lee (give it another 40 years or so)

his ASM and Hulk runs are timeless. up there with Claremont X-men as greatest comic run in history.

so this book isnt about venom, its about a fusion of the 2 greatest icons in comic book history Stan Lee, and Todd McFarlane!!

Oh Jeez, I read all that as a joke. I didn't think he was actually serious.

Well hey, everyone is entitled to their opinion. This particular opinion just happens to be ...you know, what's the word? Oh yeah. "Wrong."

I tease, I tease...

Lets see how much that ASM 300 original art cover goes and then lets talk.. its going to school Kirby covers.. FACT..

There's a logical fallacy to your statement-if ASM 300 OA sells for a high figure that just means two guys got in a bidding war-those 2 guys do not get to determine who is the better artist by what they personally are willing to spend on a cover. Price of a piece of art does not determine who is the better artist. A Jackson Pollock is just paint spatters-and it would smoke any comic art by far....

Also, are you saying McFarlane's most famous cover would sell for more than Kirby's most famous cover? Because I think Captain America #1 OA cover or FF #1 OA Cover would blow the wheels off ASM 300, which is just a circle with black Spiderman and a photo style background of buildings-not much at all really. 2/3 of the cover is photostat paste-downs...

Amazing Spider-man 300 isnt just about Venom, its also the symbol of an entire generation which ultimately became larger than the hype.

McFarlane will go down as the greatest comic book Icon of all time. He could eventually be more popular than Stan Lee (give it another 40 years or so)

his ASM and Hulk runs are timeless. up there with Claremont X-men as greatest comic run in history.

so this book isnt about venom, its about a fusion of the 2 greatest icons in comic book history Stan Lee, and Todd McFarlane!!

Well hey, everyone is entitled to their opinion. This particular opinion just happens to be ...you know, what's the word? Oh yeah. "Wrong."

I tease, I tease...

Lets see how much that ASM 300 original art cover goes and then lets talk.. its going to school Kirby covers.. FACT..

Wow.

FACT, even.

I tease, I tease...

Wow.

FACT, even.

Drink the Cool-Aid

We've been schooled

Why is a 9.6 a $400 book while a 9.8 is a $1000 book? I don't usually see a 2.5x difference between a 9.6 vs 9.8. Maybe double at the high end similar to what we see for a NM 98 ($450 vs $800). It seems like a $600 difference is prompting people to unslab 9.6 books and resub with the hope of getting the bump. Heck - if even 1 in 10 gets a bump to 9.8 then its a huge win. Of course one could come back 9.4 PLOD but that's another discussion.

I doubt it that he will ever pass Stan Lee in popularity.

Stan Lee is now considered like Walt Disney when it comes to pop culture importance. Stan Lee is the king of comic books.

Stan Lee = Beatles,Elvis,Babe Ruth,Picasso and Michael Jordan.

Todd McFarlane = Eminem, Derek Jeter, Andy Warhol and Kobe Bryant.

I put Todd McFarlane more at a comparison to Neal Adams and John Byrne who were hot popular artists of their generation.

Also with those Hulk stories let`s not forget Peter David had a lot to do with that runs success, and in fact the Dale Keown Hulk that came out later might be considered just as good.

So in conclusion Todd McFarlane is one of the top mainstream comic book artists, but he will never come close to Stan "The Man" Lee when it comes to mainstream popularity. (thumbs u

That was why I said the hope. Is the rest of it just a rumor? I thought they'd cancelled the project?

http://uproxx.com/gammasquad/2014/10/spider-man-reboot-new-actors-venom-cancelled/

If I am Sony why cancel them?

What other movie franchises does Sony control that would bring in the money that the ASM franchise could?

Just sounds like a few Spider-Man fan boys blowing smoke to get some clicks on their website.

What other movie franchises does Sony control that would bring in the money that the ASM franchise could?

Just sounds like a few Spider-Man fan boys blowing smoke to get some clicks on their website.

but then he can't appear in Civil War and everything Marvel touches turns to gold....

Why would regular moviegoers get comic book movie fatigue though? Heck, a lot of them don't even know they are seeing comic book movies.

Spider-Man is a comic book?!?!

emrknjp.gif

I am getting the sense that some people prefer to think consumers are or remain ignorant. I remember seeing comic book pages flipping at the beginning of every movie when the MARVEL caption appears. It kind of gives it away.

Speculation for movies are driving comic first app mad, crazy!!! Reminds me of how Wizaed Magazine use to drive the prices of some garbage comics with similar types of speculation. I am amazed at how peopel are still falling for such garbage, oh well I guess as long as it keeps people interested in comics it's good. However for readers like myself and all the other people that collect comics to read and enjoy not to invest it sucks. It's driving most 1st app out of price range.

Cause IF he's crossing into the MCU, and taking his Mask off for Civil War, Sony is probably going to make:

Spider-man: Civil War (the repercussions of the de-masking, plus maybe even an avenger cameo)

which will be a billion dollar plus movie, instead of Venom, being a couple hundred million.

If the MCU crossover happens, it will mean a whole new direction and a loosely associated shared world going forward.

Cause IF he's crossing into the MCU, and taking his Mask off for Civil War, Sony is probably going to make:

Spider-man: Civil War (the repercussions of the de-masking, plus maybe even an avenger cameo)

which will be a billion dollar plus movie, instead of Venom, being a couple hundred million.

If the MCU crossover happens, it will mean a whole new direction and a loosely associated shared world going forward.

I don`t think him taking his mask off will be that big a deal for mainstream, as mainstream already saw Iron Man do it in the movies.

Also let`s face it Marvel could do a Civil War movie without Spider-Man, as Iron Man and Captain America were the two biggest players in the Civil War comics.

btw I think people are underestimating Venom`s popularity.Sony could turn Venom into a franchise similar Aliens or Predator.

I don`t think him taking his mask off will be that big a deal for mainstream, as mainstream already saw Iron Man do it in the movies.

Also let`s face it Marvel could do a Civil War movie without Spider-Man, as Iron Man and Captain

They can, but as already stated, they own the toy rights, and the movie series at sony is struggling. You have a de-masking cameo of spider-man in Avengers....and think that wont be a mainstream sensation...

I am not saying it is for sure whats going on, but given the rumors, its probably pretty close to whats being pitched. Sony would rather not lose spider-man, and if the movies keep selling less and less, its only a matter of time.

Tie him to the avengers in even a small way, its golden for years to come.