• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

ASM 300 on fire

161 posts in this topic

Kav, sometimes you are a riot. McFarlane average? lol

Spider-Man-319.png

to be fair, context is everything. At the time this was huge. All of this is subjective.

Say what you want but the cover of 300 is iconic.

I like McFarlane but there are better artists

True but Liefeld was also huge. I think people that grew up with McFarlane have an inflated view of his work cause its part of their childhood. Objectively though, his anatomy was often awkward and stiff. ASM 300 may be iconic but there's really not much there-just a drawing of spiderman in a pretty standard pose. Fan pin-up stuff.

True but Liefeld was also huge. I think people that grew up with McFarlane have an inflated view of his work cause its part of their childhood. Objectively though, his anatomy was often awkward and stiff. ASM 300 may be iconic but there's really not much there-just a drawing of spiderman in a pretty standard pose. Fan pin-up stuff.

I don't know about that.

What you call a pretty standard pose wasn't at that time. McFarlane was really the first guy I can think of that put Spidey in the super contorted "spider" poses.

I wouldn't call his stuff "stiff" at all. It doesn't look as good now as it did (especially the people/faces), but his Spidey is still pretty top notch. Guys today are still copying that "look" and the web.

Kav, sometimes you are a riot. McFarlane average? lol

Spider-Man-319.png

to be fair, context is everything. At the time this was huge. All of this is subjective.

Say what you want but the cover of 300 is iconic.

I like McFarlane but there are better artists

The same could be said of folks who grew up on Kirby/Ditko etc.

*for the record I'm not saying that

I don't know about that.

What you call a pretty standard pose wasn't at that time. McFarlane was really the first guy I can think of that put Spidey in the super contorted "spider" poses.

I wouldn't call his stuff "stiff" at all. It doesn't look as good now as it did (especially the people/faces), but his Spidey is still pretty top notch. Guys today are still copying that "look" and the web.

+1

It was completely different. Look at the art in the issues leading up to 298. It was zzz

I'm willing to say he's a decent artist.

Greatest of all time? No way.

Equal to Neal Adams? Nope.

I don't know about that.

+1

It was completely different. Look at the art in the issues leading up to 298. It was zzz

Frenz was amazing.

I don't know about that.

+1

Frenz was amazing.

with the exception of some (Frenz, Sienkiewicz, Zeck) the rest of the books are zzz

I don't know about that.

+1

Frenz was amazing.

with the exception of some (Frenz, Sienkiewicz, Zeck) the rest of the books are zzz

Frenz was awful.

He made MJ look like a homeless woman (see ASM #259.)

She was a damn SUIPERMODEL.

Felicity's costume was a TOTAL reflection of the period.

lol

It's really amazing...pun slightly intended...how different McFarlane was when he took over the book.

And when you think about it...there had never BEEN a "hot artist" on Spidey ever before.

It was a perfect storm.

And, if kav is still struggling to understand what it is that everyone is saying about me, no, I didn't "grow up" with McFarlane, and didn't buy a single McFarlane Amazing new.