• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

ASM 300 on fire

161 posts in this topic

Why would regular moviegoers get comic book movie fatigue though? Heck, a lot of them don't even know they are seeing comic book movies.

Spider-Man is a comic book?!?!

emrknjp.gif

:roflmao:

(thumbs u

Even though the focus is Movie Hype (and I would tend to agree with you) I see a different cause. Movie Hype is the gold foil, die-cut, embossed, hologram covers of the 90's. It's a motivating factor for the frenzy, but I don't think it would exist if it were not for the real reason for money flowing...

I feel there is a direct relationship between the stock market and the hobby.

The Stock Market was cold in the early 90's and comics were on fire!

The Stock market blew up in late 90's due to the tec boom and comic market crashed...

The Stock Market has been over all up and down/sour since the mid 2000's to present causing a huge decade long comic boom.

This boom has transcended all the way down to C and D level characters first app's tripling in value because of movie hype. This has gave way to anything possible, even if it's moderns, no matter how many copies available, if it's any where near a key you can get multiple times guide.

My call is if you see a steady Stock Market incline for 4–6 months with a rise in interest rates then it's time to flip everything from the mid-60's to present.

That was why I said the hope. Is the rest of it just a rumor? I thought they'd cancelled the project?

Nothing officially cancelled, but rumors exist etc

If the MCU crossover happens, it will mean a whole new direction and a loosely associated shared world going forward.

I don`t think him taking his mask off will be that big a deal for mainstream, as mainstream already saw Iron Man do it in the movies.

Also let`s face it Marvel could do a Civil War movie without Spider-Man, as Iron Man and Captain America were the two biggest players in the Civil War comics.

btw I think people are underestimating Venom`s popularity. Sony could turn Venom into a franchise similar Aliens or Predator.

Agree with this 100% :)

Why is a 9.6 a $400 book while a 9.8 is a $1000 book? I don't usually see a 2.5x difference between a 9.6 vs 9.8. Maybe double at the high end similar to what we see for a NM 98 ($450 vs $800). It seems like a $600 difference is prompting people to unslab 9.6 books and resub with the hope of getting the bump. Heck - if even 1 in 10 gets a bump to 9.8 then its a huge win. Of course one could come back 9.4 PLOD but that's another discussion.

I believe it's because of the amount of 9.8 compared to other grades.

4s2QHRC.png

Why is a 9.6 a $400 book while a 9.8 is a $1000 book? I don't usually see a 2.5x difference between a 9.6 vs 9.8. Maybe double at the high end similar to what we see for a NM 98 ($450 vs $800). It seems like a $600 difference is prompting people to unslab 9.6 books and resub with the hope of getting the bump. Heck - if even 1 in 10 gets a bump to 9.8 then its a huge win. Of course one could come back 9.4 PLOD but that's another discussion.

4s2QHRC.png

The % of 9.8s seems pretty high compared to other Bronze/Copper keys like IF 14 and NM 98. But the price spread between 9.8 and 9.6 doesn't seen as excessive.

Even though the focus is Movie Hype (and I would tend to agree with you) I see a different cause. Movie Hype is the gold foil, die-cut, embossed, hologram covers of the 90's. It's a motivating factor for the frenzy, but I don't think it would exist if it were not for the real reason for money flowing...

I feel there is a direct relationship between the stock market and the hobby.

The Stock Market was cold in the early 90's and comics were on fire!

The Stock market blew up in late 90's due to the tec boom and comic market crashed...

The Stock Market has been over all up and down/sour since the mid 2000's to present causing a huge decade long comic boom.

This boom has transcended all the way down to C and D level characters first app's tripling in value because of movie hype. This has gave way to anything possible, even if it's moderns, no matter how many copies available, if it's any where near a key you can get multiple times guide.

My call is if you see a steady Stock Market incline for 4–6 months with a rise in interest rates then it's time to flip everything from the mid-60's to present.

If you are going to tie the comic bubble to the economy, money printing is the place I would go to for the root cause. Capitalism essentially ended in 2008. All the free debt, all the stock market gains, all the wealth since then, is just debt invented out of thin air and an equivalent amount of dollars being poured into the economy just to hold it flat.

When they finally are unable to prevent interest rates from rising the whole thing is going into the John A Crapper. Better to be holding physical assets then stocks and bonds that will get vaporized. Even in the great depression, luxury items did well.

The % of 9.8s seems pretty high compared to other Bronze/Copper keys like NM 98.

:screwy:

znahee.png

Ok - NM 98 is a bad example. How about X-Men 266 or Giant Sized X-Men 1.

4s2QHRC.png

Looks like you are correct. Most of the other key books I looked at had at least 20% of the census at 9.8 while the ASM 300 was less then 10%.

While it's the most subbed book or one of them

It's still a tough one to find in high grade 9.8

People read this book, they didn't just buy it and store it like most books from this time

Amazing Spider-man 300 isnt just about Venom, its also the symbol of an entire generation which ultimately became larger than the hype.

The cover is iconic and as famous to all generations as Hulk 181 cover.

the 2 most recognized covers of all time besides Action comics #1 and AF#15!

McFarlane will go down as the greatest comic book Icon of all time. He could eventually be more popular than Stan Lee (give it another 40 years or so)

his ASM and Hulk runs are timeless. up there with Claremont X-men as greatest comic run in history.

so this book isnt about venom, its about a fusion of the 2 greatest icons in comic book history Stan Lee, and Todd McFarlane!!

Wow. Ease off the Todd Koolaid.

Kav, sometimes you are a riot. McFarlane average? lol

Spider-Man-319.png

to be fair, context is everything. At the time this was huge. All of this is subjective.

Say what you want but the cover of 300 is iconic.

I like McFarlane but there are better artists

Kav, sometimes you are a riot. McFarlane average? lol

Spider-Man-319.png

to be fair, context is everything. At the time this was huge. All of this is subjective.

Say what you want but the cover of 300 is iconic.

I like McFarlane but there are better artists

Picking a page from the time when McFarlane was clearly phoning it in isn't valid.

The real glory is from #300-316-ish.

Amazing Spider-man 300 isnt just about Venom, its also the symbol of an entire generation which ultimately became larger than the hype.

The cover is iconic and as famous to all generations as Hulk 181 cover.

the 2 most recognized covers of all time besides Action comics #1 and AF#15!

McFarlane will go down as the greatest comic book Icon of all time. He could eventually be more popular than Stan Lee (give it another 40 years or so)

his ASM and Hulk runs are timeless. up there with Claremont X-men as greatest comic run in history.

so this book isnt about venom, its about a fusion of the 2 greatest icons in comic book history Stan Lee, and Todd McFarlane!!

Wow. Ease off the Todd Koolaid.

lol