• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

What’s driving the price of Hulk 1 ?

110 posts in this topic

The Hulk wasn't popular because of TV. doh!

I've never heard of Hulk #1 being called a less desirable key.

The Hulk has always been popular - from the 1960's to the present. Even when he didn't have his own title he was included in a crossover in FF #25/26 in mid 1964.

After that he was picked up in TTA in issue #59 (9/1964) and it went for 42 issues (to issue #101) before the name of the title for TTA was changed to Hulk in issue #102.

He was often crossed over in other character's issues in order to create excitement - FF #12, 25/26, #112, ASM #14, 119, 120, X-men #66, JIM #112 - etc.

He couldn't carry the magazine after issue #6 and I think that was because the world was looking for Superheros and he was still perceived to be an older style monster mag (which is what Marvel had been putting out for the previous decade) but he shared a mag since 1964, got his own title with #102 and he's been a part of some of the biggest moments in Marvel history including the first appearance Wolverine and a slew of other moments. Well before the 70's TV show.

If Hulk #1 was the worst of the mega keys why has it been one of the more expensive ones for so long?

I had read that Stan claimed Hulk 1-6 sold fairly well but was shelved to make room in their 8 titles only distribution deal for the ASM title.... GOD BLESS...

-jimbo(a friend of jesus) (thumbs u

I had read that Stan claimed Hulk 1-6 sold fairly well but was shelved to make room in their 8 titles only distribution deal for the ASM title.... GOD BLESS...

I was going to add that as well.

Not that it sold well (I'd never heard that before) but that Stan had to make decisions based on distribution.

I believe that's one of the primary reasons they went to duel heroes in TTA and TOS until 1968 when they could finally print as many titles as they wanted and everyone got their own title. That's when TOS #99 became Cap #100 just like TTA #101 became Hulk #102 and Subby and Iron Man both got their own titles starting at #1.

Strange Tales was FF reprints and Doctor Strange stories.

Stan was a genius that way and squeezing all those characters from only 8 titles was brilliant.

Not that it sold well (I'd never heard that before) but that Stan had to make decisions based on distribution.

I believe that's one of the primary reasons they went to duel heroes in TTA and TOS until 1968 when they could finally print as many titles as they wanted and everyone got their own title. That's when TOS #99 became Cap #100 just like TTA #101 became Hulk #102 and Subby and Iron Man both got their own titles starting at #1.

Stan was a genius that way and squeezing all those characters from only 8 titles was brilliant.

8 comics that changed the world...... GOD BLESS....

..... it was my understanding that "selling well enough" meant the customary 130,000 copies that the Fantasy titles were generating....

The Hulk wasn't popular because of TV. doh!

I don't think this is true as the TV show took the Hulk from a comic book character straight into pop culture popularity/exposure in the mainstream media. The show ran on CBS for 5 years and over 80 episodes..."Don't make me angry, you wouldn't like me when I'm angry." is as well-known as "Hulk Smash!".

I suspect as many parents taking their kids to superhero movies these days (a driving force behind the price increases of all these superhero keys over the last 5+ years) were 1st exposed to the Hulk from the TV show as from comic books.

And oh, Lou's got a big head here! lol

Ferrigno_as_Hulk.jpg

Strictly to keep misinformation from floating around, Strange Tales never featured FF reprints. The Human Torch began solo stories in issue #101, with backup pre-hero monster and fantasy stories. After Dr. Strange appeared, the title was split between the Torch and Strange until issue #135, when it was split between Nick Fury and Strange.

Strictly to keep misinformation from floating around, Strange Tales never featured FF reprints. The Human Torch began solo stories in issue #101, with backup pre-hero monster and fantasy stories. After Dr. Strange appeared, the title was split between the Torch and Strange until issue #135, when it was split between Nick Fury and Strange.

Thanks for the revision. :foryou: