• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

What’s driving the price of Hulk 1 ?

110 posts in this topic

We also have other books that are minor keys like Hawkman 4 that just sold for 7k. Is this a 7k book?

While I think people are seeking out minor keys that may be the next big thing, Hawkman 4 seems like an example of a book aided by shilling. It was happening right here on the Boards with an obvious pump and dump. Multiple E-Bay accounts, multiple GPA recorded new highs, and suddenly the book is officially 'hot'. I don't think Hulk1 was a case of shilling as most of the big sales are not recorded in GPA.

Remember, A book sucks until someone is selling one.

That it is the greatest thing going.

Much like the eagle eye buyer and blind seller.

Buyer, man that is a VF. Half hour later, wow, I was there when you bought that book. Since you just bought it at the show and it wasn't pressed how did it transform into a NM?

I think the boards contribute to "all the fuss" as well.

Very true. Recognizing this, I think a LOT of newbies are trying to utilize the Boards as a place to pump or to pick up a book on the cheap to sell on other venues.

We also have other books that are minor keys like Hawkman 4 that just sold for 7k. Is this a 7k book?

While I think people are seeking out minor keys that may be the next big thing, Hawkman 4 seems like an example of a book aided by shilling. It was happening right here on the Boards with an obvious pump and dump. Multiple E-Bay accounts, multiple GPA recorded new highs, and suddenly the book is officially 'hot'. I don't think Hulk1 was a case of shilling as most of the big sales are not recorded in GPA.

That 7k book was sold by Greg Reece. It couldn't have been shilled because it was a reported dealer sale.

Linky

As soon as that sold, I think someone on the boards had a 9.6 and wanted near 7k. I don't know what happened to that one. I paid around $60 for my 9.0 raw a few months before that sale. Bumping it to a 9.6 for substantially less than 7k and putting my 9.0 up for sale was a no brainer.

Even with shilling, someone has to be willing to pay the price. You can shill a $10 book to $10,000. If someone is sitting there bidding 10k then that's the market value at that time. Was the recent X-Men 94 in 9.8 worth over 14k? To someone it was. If that person tried to sell it a week later I would be surprised if they got 10k.

I am a firm believer in GPA because that's usually open market bidding. IH1 was (example) 26k in 2013 and 26k in a 2014 sale. If it were a really nice presenting copy would I throw a few more grand at it; sure if I really wanted it. When it starts hitting 30, 35, and near 40 in a short time span you really have to take a breath and ask why now.

The why now is the speculation off of that 300k+ sale when someone paid 125k only a few years before. Remember, this is a top tier book in 9.2. Someone that is buying this book is not going to be interested in the 3.0-8.0 copies out there. As stated in this thread, even the dealers are not buying into the rise and are selling their existing inventories. However, you do create that new resistance point someone mentioned earlier which would be the person who paid 10k for his copy and if the market cools, he/she will not sell it for 5k, which does set a new pricing precedent.

Does this sound reasonable?

Even the dealers are not buying into this?

Huh?

Did you read this before you posted it?

So unless GPA reports the sale they "don't exist" even though I know a lot of dealers myself included don't report to it.

I was selling 7.0's white over GPA even before the 9.2 sale. I've had numerous PM's with $26K 7.5 offers. Even had them on ebay. All that shows me is how much of a crutch GPA is to certain buyers/sellers.

Has "Ask Rick" become the official dealer spokesman?

As stated in this thread, even the dealers are not buying into the rise and are selling their existing inventories.

I have trouble understanding what you mean by this.

Every major dealer I know is scrambling to find Hulk #1's for resale, and at new prices, not old ones.

If they're selling existing inventories, it's certainly not at 2013 or even early 2014 prices.

I didn't read the entire thread but of course dealers will and should sell what they can. As a collector though the price of Hulk 1 these days looks very overvalued 2c I don't like the mid term future for this book. It just costs too much at the moment for what it is.

Book got hyped up with a couple of big sales and folks started scrambling and are now paying strong relative to recent upswing in demand and seemingly fewer copies in the market. Simple, really... But don't be fooled, the book is hardly scarce lol

+1 :sumo:

I didn't read the entire thread but of course dealers will and should sell what they can. As a collector though the price of Hulk 1 these days looks very overvalued 2c I don't like the mid term future for this book. It just costs too much at the moment for what it is.

There have always been leaders and followers in markets with regards to books and their relative values. Some book pops and sells for a lot and then all of a sudden surrounding, similar books start to look cheap and prices rise as demand increases for the relatively 'cheaper' surrounding books. Rinse, repeat.

When AF #15 popped at $50,000 a couple of decades ago everyone took notice and the rest of the keys followed suit.

When Action #1 (or Action #7 or Tec #31, etc) popped, surrounding books rose in price.

When BB #28 popped and became a $50K book in 9.2 all lower grade issues rose.

Same thing here. After not seeing a 9.0 or a 9.2 copy change hands for several years as prices rose on everything else, a few ultra high grade copies finally went for really strong money and all the lower grade books are now playing catch up to fill the gap leading up to 9.0 and 9.2 prices.

Please, unless Rick and GPA blesses this post this is all speculation.

Pre-Robin Detectives should be selling for GPA also.

Oh wait, where are those reported GPA sales?

How come Rick isn't reporting those?

Would those GPA pre-robin numbers be consider "light"

That 7k book was sold by Greg Reece. It couldn't have been shilled because it was a reported dealer sale.

Linky

As soon as that sold, I think someone on the boards had a 9.6 and wanted near 7k. I don't know what happened to that one.

I am a firm believer in GPA because that's usually open market bidding.

Does this sound reasonable?

I understand that the 7K sale of Hawkman 4 in 9.6 was legit. I am suggesting there were many 'confirmed' GPA shill sales in lower grades leading up to this sale. While not the fault of GPA, many sales are false positives.People are playing the system, getting multiple E-Bay accounts and buying the book for new record highs from themselves. (shrug)

I understand that the 7K sale of Hawkman 4 in 9.6 was legit. I am suggesting there were many 'confirmed' GPA shill sales in lower grades leading up to this sale. While not the fault of GPA, many sales are false positives.People are playing the system, getting multiple E-Bay accounts and buying the book for new record highs from themselves. (shrug)

Hawkman #4 had been climbing for some time before that. Even on the convention circuit where no GPA sales are reported.

I get how it works Roy but it's overpriced right now relative to the others 2c

Relative to which books?

It's seems to be staying under AF #15 numbers and on the flip side, the other Marvel keys (based on my limited knowledge - I haven't really been tracking them closely) seem to be rising now to catch up.

This is what I got out of this so far:

The original question was “why now” which seems to have been answered:

The 300k+ sale shook a lot of people into either speculating or I better buy one now while I still can (bringing the lower copies up with it). Others have called is scarce and then compared it to other books which shows the book is hardly scarce. Then it becomes a personal question of if the book is worth the price to you for your collection or speculation.

GPA has recorded sales, but dealers are saying they’ve been selling over GPA for a while running parallel with GPA data. There seems to be a lot of distaste for anything GPA for some, but I consider anything to help the consumer gauge pricing helps keep those 7k sales in check. No one has plopped down any hard pricing to date to counter GPA. There is a 7.5 on CC during their next auction. I guess we can see the trending at that point.

One dealer stated “I can tell you, that as a reseller, I have not currently bought many copies for resale...I know of others that have not ,either (we are selling previously owned inv)” and then we have other dealers looking to buy them and flip them.

I would hate to ask. Why is everyone speculating on Zatanna????

Please, unless Rick and GPA blesses this post this is all speculation.

Pre-Robin Detectives should be selling for GPA also.

Oh wait, where are those reported GPA sales?

How come Rick isn't reporting those?

Would those GPA pre-robin numbers be consider "light"

my guess is gpa is way off on hulk 1's right now...

I know a bunch of folks/resellers that had very deep inventory on hulk 1's.... bt if someone offered me one for sale that I could turn at a small profit, I certainly would buy it....just hard to buy for current FMV to sell for current FMV....so it has to be more of a buy and hold a bit, to let the market continue to expand (price wise), or do what I've been doing, and sell exisiting inv where margins are there...