• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

What’s driving the price of Hulk 1 ?

110 posts in this topic

This is what I got out of this so far:

The original question was “why now” which seems to have been answered:

The 300k+ sale shook a lot of people into either speculating or I better buy one now while I still can (bringing the lower copies up with it). Others have called is scarce and then compared it to other books which shows the book is hardly scarce. Then it becomes a personal question of if the book is worth the price to you for your collection or speculation.

GPA has recorded sales, but dealers are saying they’ve been selling over GPA for a while running parallel with GPA data. There seems to be a lot of distaste for anything GPA for some, but I consider anything to help the consumer gauge pricing helps keep those 7k sales in check. No one has plopped down any hard pricing to date to counter GPA. There is a 7.5 on CC during their next auction. I guess we can see the trending at that point.

One dealer stated “I can tell you, that as a reseller, I have not currently bought many copies for resale...I know of others that have not ,either (we are selling previously owned inv)” and then we have other dealers looking to buy them and flip them.

I would hate to ask. Why is everyone speculating on Zatanna????

I haven't really followed GPA, but I know bob has sold a ton of hulk 1's recently at well over auction sales of a few months ago (which I presume is reported in gpa)...I know dem1138 (I Think that is the accurate handle) has sold a ton....I have sold a bunch at way over previous sale prices ....someone would have to post gpa for me to get a better handle on the discrepancy, but I know a 5.0 sold in heritage, what, 2 months ago, at 12 K, and several 5.0's have changed hands in past month at 15K+....that would be 20% over last auction sale (thumbs u

Even the dealers are not buying into this?

Huh?

Did you read this before you posted it?

So unless GPA reports the sale they "don't exist" even though I know a lot of dealers myself included don't report to it.

I was selling 7.0's white over GPA even before the 9.2 sale. I've had numerous PM's with $26K 7.5 offers. Even had them on ebay. All that shows me is how much of a crutch GPA is to certain buyers/sellers.

Has "Ask Rick" become the official dealer spokesman?

:acclaim:

Huh?

So unless GPA reports the sale they "don't exist" even though I know a lot of dealers myself included don't report to it.

I was selling 7.0's white over GPA even before the 9.2 sale. I've had numerous PM's with $26K 7.5 offers. Even had them on ebay. All that shows me is how much of a crutch GPA is to certain buyers/sellers.

not bad for a hobbyist lol

Huh?

not bad for a hobbyist lol
:banana:

\Others have called is scarce and then compared it to other books which shows the book is hardly scarce.

Scarce is relative. It may not be scarce if you're looking for a high grade copy of Detective #29 but as far as high grade Marvel keys, Hulk #1 is tougher than most.

There seems to be a lot of distaste for anything GPA for some,

If anyone has a distaste for GPA it's only because it's either misused out of ignorance or because people twist it for their purposes (ie. quoting GPA lows when buying and highs when selling)

No one has plopped down any hard pricing to date to counter GPA.

There is plenty out there, but in a market that is moving quickly, why would someone with lots of information share it with the general public if they can profit from it?

\Others have called is scarce and then compared it to other books which shows the book is hardly scarce.

Scarce is relative. It may not be scarce if you're looking for a high grade copy of Detective #29 but as far as high grade Marvel keys, Hulk #1 is tougher than most.

There seems to be a lot of distaste for anything GPA for some,

If anyone has a distaste for GPA it's only because it's either misused out of ignorance or because people twist it for their purposes (ie. quoting GPA lows when buying and highs when selling)

No one has plopped down any hard pricing to date to counter GPA.

There is plenty out there, but in a market that is moving quickly, why would someone with lots of information share it with the general public if they can profit from it?

..... it's easy to become jaded if someone attends all the biggest shows and frequents all the international auctions. For a regular civilian like myself..... Hulk 1 is the least seen of all the SA keys in our area. Years will go by between one surfacing. Showcase 4 is another "scarce" one. I certainly understand Rick's point...Hulk 1 is definitely no Detective 28. GOD BLESS...

-jimbo(a friend of jesus) (thumbs u

As AF 15 rose above FF 1 then SC 4 as the silver age book to have it first seemed weird then obvious as Spiderman is simply the character to have. With seemingly every other issue from 1-50 a key of some sort or another. When his girlfriend has cameo appearances noted, that's when you know its for real.

And now FF1 is the least of the big keys and Hulk 1 and SC 4 are almost equal to AF 15. Seems off to me but the market says otherwise. Demand is always the driver and demand for Af 15 is simply getting soft.

You should be removed from the CGC boards.

This is what I got out of this so far:

The original question was “why now” which seems to have been answered:

The 300k+ sale shook a lot of people into either speculating or I better buy one now while I still can (bringing the lower copies up with it). Others have called is scarce and then compared it to other books which shows the book is hardly scarce. Then it becomes a personal question of if the book is worth the price to you for your collection or speculation.

GPA has recorded sales, but dealers are saying they’ve been selling over GPA for a while running parallel with GPA data. There seems to be a lot of distaste for anything GPA for some, but I consider anything to help the consumer gauge pricing helps keep those 7k sales in check. No one has plopped down any hard pricing to date to counter GPA. There is a 7.5 on CC during their next auction. I guess we can see the trending at that point.

One dealer stated “I can tell you, that as a reseller, I have not currently bought many copies for resale...I know of others that have not ,either (we are selling previously owned inv)” and then we have other dealers looking to buy them and flip them.

I would hate to ask. Why is everyone speculating on Zatanna????

I haven't really followed GPA, but I know bob has sold a ton of hulk 1's recently at well over auction sales of a few months ago (which I presume is reported in gpa)...I know dem1138 (I Think that is the accurate handle) has sold a ton....I have sold a bunch at way over previous sale prices ....someone would have to post gpa for me to get a better handle on the discrepancy, but I know a 5.0 sold in heritage, what, 2 months ago, at 12 K, and several 5.0's have changed hands in past month at 15K+....that would be 20% over last auction sale (thumbs u

$15k+ for a 5.0 now? Wowzers. :ohnoez:

-J.

John, I would post our picture of me you and brian with a word balloon that this is one of my votes for "post of the year".

Yup, AF #15 is getting soft.

Right! AF 15 soft,that's a hoot. :roflmao:

Yes that statement does seem rather ludicrous just from perusing recent ebay results alone. Although I would say that hulk 1 has currently stolen some of its thunder. The difference is, "collectors" want a hulk 1. "Everybody" wants an AF 15. And it will probably be that way for the foreseeable future.

-J.

That one took me off guard too; the AF15. Prices are absolutely climbing with the Hulk. It was trying to figure out the drive behind it. AF15 is not getting soft. There are around 1200 copies out there. When there are only 1199 buyers then I'll start to worry. SC4 I have no idea what is going on with that book since most sales are not recorded in GPA either. FF1 has been pretty flat, but it's still one of the top 10 keys to get in SA.

That one took me off guard too; the AF15. Prices are absolutely climbing with the Hulk. It was trying to figure out the drive behind it. AF15 is not getting soft. There are around 1200 copies out there. When there are only 1199 buyers then I'll start to worry. SC4 I have no idea what is going on with that book since most sales are not recorded in GPA either. FF1 has been pretty flat, but it's still one of the top 10 keys to get in SA.

If you don't have a FF1 you could get one right now. The new FF movie is coming and I believe they had leaked a Doctor Doom costume online that was taken down. It should rebound so if you don't have one get one right now. I think the same thing goes for Showcase 22, Green lantern will most likely rebound with a reboot or a major appearance in a new movie. I kind of dislike how the books have gained so much value. I personally collect and it's getting too expensive to buy the books I am missing. :(

I wouldn't count out FF1, just wait and see the new reboot (will be too late by then). You would have to spend more to get one.

Yes it is, that's why I'm currently taking 20 Mg of Gamma rays daily.

Except for the green tinge my wife says I'm a Hulk in the bedroom.

When Hulk gets angry, Hulk....

err. Not sure I want to know. :sick: