• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

What’s driving the price of Hulk 1 ?

110 posts in this topic

Always a risk when cracking open a slab and then have someone sign a book. You win some, you lose some.

Where does the seller state that the book was damaged by Stan Lee?

Many things could have happened.

That book could have been previously graded before CGC changed their tape standards.

Or the book could have fallen apart or lost a piece just from shipping or handling.

Or was it ever a 1.5? Was there a picture of an old label or the back cover?

What is impressive is that a 0.5 went for over $3000.

That book could have been previously graded before CGC changed their tape standards.

Or the book could have fallen apart or lost a piece just from shipping or handling.

I think his implication is more than "subtle". lol

Though he is even more blunt about things in this other listing. Notice the book was signed at the same time as the hulk 1. I doubt the seller is lying about it.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/THE-INCREDIBLE-HULK-181-CGC-8-0-SIGNED-STAN-LEE-BEST-LOOKING-8-0-/121463297563?pt=US_Comic_Books&hash=item1c47c6d61b&nma=true&si=RgD8672UacyTR%252Bjk7ERwAehdhLc%253D&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2557

As dark knight said, one of the perils of SS...

Sometimes it's just best to leave well enough alone.

-J.

I wanted a 5.0 Hulk 1 REAL bad when they were 3 K ....... I have zero interest at 15 K...... but the 9.2 seems like a book that should have been a 300 K book a long time ago. GOD BLESS...

-jimbo(a friend of jesus) (thumbs u

Though he is even more blunt about things in this other listing. Notice the book was signed at the same time as the hulk 1. I doubt the seller is lying about it.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/THE-INCREDIBLE-HULK-181-CGC-8-0-SIGNED-STAN-LEE-BEST-LOOKING-8-0-/121463297563?pt=US_Comic_Books&hash=item1c47c6d61b&nma=true&si=RgD8672UacyTR%252Bjk7ERwAehdhLc%253D&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2557

-J.

Nope, sorry. Totally agree with Roy.

Not only does he NOT say that Stan Lee did anything, NOR do I detect any implication, subtle or otherwise.

He doesn't even mention Stan, in either listing.

As Roy says, any number of things could have happened to account for the change of grade. And the seller does not indicate anything about which of those may have occurred, if any.

-J.

Nope, sorry. Totally agree with Roy.

Not only does he NOT say that Stan Lee did anything, NOR do I detect any implication, subtle or otherwise.

He doesn't even mention Stan, in either listing.

As Roy says, any number of things could have happened to account for the change of grade. And the seller does not indicate anything about which of those may have occurred, if any.

The only common denominator is Stan Lee touching the books to sign them. "Here's another book that was graded higher before it was signed (by Stan Lee)" is fairly self explanatory to me what the seller is saying. But you are more than welcome to having your own interpretation and letting a nearly 100 year old man handle your valuable and delicate 30-65 year old books if you so desire. (thumbs u

-J.

The usual way that books are signed is that they are placed in a Mylar and there is a small window cut out where the sig is supposed to go.

They are actually quite difficult to damage by the person doing the signature unless the person cheaped out and used a flimsy bag and board.

They are unfortunately much easier to damage when preparing them, pulling them in and out of Mylars, shipping and grading them. That's when pieces fall off, handling damage and shipping damage happens.

It just could be a round of bad luck where the seller had over graded books, regraded them and they now have the 'correct' grades on them. I've regraded plenty of books where CGC simply changes their minds about the defects.

lol Anything is "possible", and you're right, there's a lot we "don't know". But what we do know is that Stan Lee signing and handling the books (from two separate ages, SA and BA, and likely originally graded at different times) is the only common denominator, and that the seller was so disgusted by what was done to them that he decided to sell them both at a loss just to be rid of them and move on.

-J.

Hulk is a high profile icon status character and a household word. Rare in grade and one of the best first appearance covers of the silver age...... and a scarce issue in any shape. GOD BLESS...

-jimbo(a friend of jesus) (thumbs u

I think this sums it up rather nicely.

The original Hulk series was considered really really bad and sold poorly.. even for the early 60's it was bad.. most can agree. Its very difficult to read those first few issues of Hulk (it picks up at the relaunch of 102 and becomes readable)

thus most dealers/collectors consider the early Hulk series to be the absolute worst of the silver mega keys.

so this book wasnt taken care of or collected in the late 60's because it was an inferior book noone liked.

copies got destroyed and lost while everyone was chasing X-men #1,Daredevil #1 and Fantastic Four #1 (the hottest titles other than spidey at that time). Also Hulk 1 had a horror aspect to it in Jeckyl and Hyde so grandmas were quick to throw it out!

After the Hulk TV show, Hulk got more popular with mainstream and Hulk 1 started to be considered rare, even in the 80's it was considered a rare book.

and Here we are today

this combined with the Disney collectors out there with that gotta have it mentality...

I swear these crazy disney collectors that came out of the woodwork when Disney bought marvel have way too much money on their minds..

With Big Hero 6 2 weeks out and mainstream disney collectors still in the dark I wonder how much the big hero 6 books will skyrocket?

Im guessing about $2k for Sunfire and BH6 1, 1k for Alpha Flight 17, and about 100 each for the miniseries books. Disney collectors are going to go tothemarketdownthestreetforsomeCRAZY over Baymax..

The Hulk wasn't popular because of TV. doh!

I've never heard of Hulk #1 being called a less desirable key.

The Hulk has always been popular - from the 1960's to the present. Even when he didn't have his own title he was included in a crossover in FF #25/26 in mid 1964.

After that he was picked up in TTA in issue #59 (9/1964) and it went for 42 issues (to issue #101) before the name of the title for TTA was changed to Hulk in issue #102.

He was often crossed over in other character's issues in order to create excitement - FF #12, 25/26, #112, ASM #14, 119, 120, X-men #66, JIM #112 - etc.

He couldn't carry the magazine after issue #6 and I think that was because the world was looking for Superheros and he was still perceived to be an older style monster mag (which is what Marvel had been putting out for the previous decade) but he shared a mag since 1964, got his own title with #102 and he's been a part of some of the biggest moments in Marvel history including the first appearance Wolverine and a slew of other moments. Well before the 70's TV show.

If Hulk #1 was the worst of the mega keys why has it been one of the more expensive ones for so long?