• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Chuck Does it Again!!!!!

97 posts in this topic

He does seem to own a lot of other stuff personally though: pottery, the farm etc. But there again on the farm, if he's rolling in dough, why is HE out there at 4AM planting seeds? Perhaos he's just driven to work like a dog... but if he could afford to pay people to do all the menial stuff, why wouldnt he just supervise, not slave away at risk to hi shealth, and exposing himself to muggers and the dangers of the open road in ricketty old trucks???

It just doesnt add up for me...

Aman, He's a friggin' hippie - that's what they do - where were you in the 60's makepoint.gif

I heard that sales from this month shattered all previous month's sales.

P.S. All back issues are 60% off

Which isn't that impressive when you realize that the prices on many back issues were raised to compensate for said discount. His prices were still above FMV even with the hefty deduction.

But, just like with any other pile of caca, if you dig long enough you can usually find a nice golden nugget of corn.

I heard that sales from this month shattered all previous month's sales.

P.S. All back issues are 60% off

Which isn't that impressive when you realize that the prices on many back issues were raised to compensate for said discount. His prices were still above FMV even with the hefty deduction.

But, just like with any other pile of caca, if you dig long enough you can usually find a nice golden nugget of corn.

I agree with that. Has to be said though, I spent 2 hours on his site looking for stuff (after I learned of the sale) and failed to find any Gold or Silver book that I couldn't find for less on ebay (his Gold selection is weak). Although I did see some deals on Masterworks, Archives and 80s / 90s items.

Annoyingly, I wasn't looking for those. frown.gif

She would go to church food handouts and stock up on stuff which she stored in huge pantry in the basement. We found 10-year-old cans of peas down there when she died

As opposed to Chuckles who went to Church's house and gave the heirs handouts for comics he stocked up on and stored in his apartment.

She would go to church food handouts and stock up on stuff which she stored in huge pantry in the basement. We found 10-year-old cans of peas down there when she died

As opposed to Chuckles who went to Church's house and gave the heirs handouts for comics he stocked up on and stored in his apartment.

It's true. The similarities are AMAZING! This is the most shocking hearsay of all:

Chuck IS my grandmother!! 893whatthe.gif

insane.gif

(his Gold selection is weak).

Hard to believe considering he once bought 22,000 GA books in pristine condition for less than their original cover price, hunh?

I'm friends with a journalist who worked for Chuck in the early days, shortly after the acquisition of the Church collection. My friend, who I've known for 15 years and who I trust implicity, swears that Chuck would frequently crow about how he got the collection for such a low price. Of course, in the official MH version of the story, Chuck's practically insisting that the Church heirs take more money, but they aren't interested...

Where do you buy graded books? I personally think 25-30 bucks for a 9.2 pre 1975 Fury is a great deal!!! It costs $30 with shipping to send a book to CGC for grading with a 4 month wait and no promise of a 9.2 or better!!! I have bought about $1000 worth of books from MHC in the last couple of months W/ no complaints!!! thumbsup2.gif You can't get those deals on ebay!!!! I saw a 9.2 go for $150 once. Thirty is a much better deal!!!!

Chuck, is that you?

The handful of slabbed comics I own were acquired from various sources as well as a few submissions of my own.

I would certainly agree that for pre-1980 books, buying CGCed comics from Mile High is wise - 'cause Chuckles and the team can't grade their way out of a paper bag.

Regardless, I'm glad you're happy with your purchases from Mile High... but do a search on these boards for MH or Chuck and you'll see that the complaints outnumber the kudos by a wide margin. Oddly, your account flies in the face of Chuck's own info to some extent. Chuck seems to pride himself on squeezing every last dollar out of each book. Don't let him know you actually found a few bargains at the site, or he may ask for the books back.

(his Gold selection is weak).

Hard to believe considering he once bought 22,000 GA books in pristine condition for less than their original cover price, hunh?

I'm friends with a journalist who worked for Chuck in the early days, shortly after the acquisition of the Church collection. My friend, who I've known for 15 years and who I trust implicity, swears that Chuck would frequently crow about how he got the collection for such a low price. Of course, in the official MH version of the story, Chuck's practically insisting that the Church heirs take more money, but they aren't interested...

If crowing about buying a comic book for an extremely low price is a crime, then lock me up and throw away the key!

yay.gif

I'm sorry, but Edgar was in a convalescent home and wasn't going to see a dime of the money. I don't have a lot of sympathy for his heirs either, as they were planning to just toss the entire lot out with the trash, including his original artwork, much of which they did destroy with no regard for their father's life's work.

Say what you want, but I am damn glad that Chuck didn't have to pay very much for those books. If Edgar had been the seller, then sure I'd have wanted him to get a lot more money. And if he HAD been the seller, he almost certainly WOULD have negotiated himself a better price for them because he had a great deal more respect for them than his heirs did.

There certainly are some good deals to be had on the MH web site, but pricing on some books is ridiculous even during Chuck's biggest sales. Keep in mind that the base price of his books sometimes varies depending on the discount structure of a particular sale, or if there is a sudden spike in a comic's popularity. He's not giving anything away, that's for sure.

His constant promos are just a sales technique - It's called creating value where there is none. I used to work for a company whose owner employed a similar strategy by making people feel all warm and fuzzy about the company through their newsletters, catalogs, etc... As a result, customers were willing to spend more on an item buying it through his company than they could get it for elsewhere.

I respect him as a businessman and don't begrudge his success, how he operates, or his purchase of the Edgar Church collection. The only thing that gets a little old in Chuck's email newsletters, IMO, is the occassional notion that he needs to have a particular sale or he will go broke. Most recently, he proclaimed that they could now afford to have the roof of their warehouse fixed sooner than expected because a sale was so successful! I suspect this is mostly hyperbole, but his financial woes (real or imagined) are not my problem!

I'm sorry, but Edgar was in a convalescent home and wasn't going to see a dime of the money. I don't have a lot of sympathy for his heirs either, as they were planning to just toss the entire lot out with the trash, including his original artwork, much of which they did destroy with no regard for their father's life's work.

I agree. They had already thrown out most of Edgar's magazine and funny animal books before Chuck showed up on the scene. Odds are they would have tossed it all if they hadn't of found a dealer who was willing to come look at it.

BTW, does anyone know who the dealer they called first was. The one who couldn't be bothered to go and see the comics. That guy has GOT to be bitter as hell.

27_laughing.gif

I agree. They had already thrown out most of Edgar's magazine and funny animal books before Chuck showed up on the scene. Odds are they would have tossed it all if they hadn't of found a dealer who was willing to come look at it.

BTW, does anyone know who the dealer they called first was. The one who couldn't be bothered to go and see the comics. That guy has GOT to be bitter as hell.

27_laughing.gif

You guys DO realize that you're simply taking Chuck's word for all this, since there's no other point of reference available? I was simply pointing out in my two previous posts that on the one hand, Chuck's account of the deal makes it sound as though he was literally begging the Church heirs to take more for the books, while on the other hand he was bragging to anyone who'd listen that he practically stole the collection.

But if we're simpling taking Chuck at his word, then we have him to thank for 'saving' the Church collection...and for getting Conan 3 listed as "scarce in some areas"...and for establishing comic book back issues as valuable...AND for the whole "multiples of guide" phenomenon.

Thanks Chuck!