• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

FF # 12

149 posts in this topic

Epson scanner, loaded the pictures into Photobucket. Now if I can just figure out how to post them.  

This is easy.

1) Just start a post

2) Copy the IMG address of the scan on Photobucket (the code in the middle).

3) Click Image on your post (where it says Instant UBB Code)

3) Paste the IMG address, then say OK

View your post before submitting and the picture should be there. 893applaud-thumb.gif

wow 21of 30 were 9.0's? Thats sick! I bought the FF #!12 from Vincent 8 years ago and the other 2 books from Beshara Maloof or something like that also 8 years ago. I have a couple other decent books that mr highgrade scanned, and are in this thread.

Sooo, your sick because you thought they were going to grade higher confused-smiley-013.gif

What are the graders note on the FF 12?

Call CGC, give them the bar # from the label and they'll tell you what notes the graders jotted down. I'll say it again, that FF #12 looks awful nice to be just a 9.0 sumo.gif

Hey BleekerBob, talk to Juan about how to make your scans bigger. The books look that much better when they are the size of the scans that he originally posted in this thread. thumbsup2.gif

dont know what the graders comments are or how to get them.

Graders notes are good, but what you want to make sure to ask (they don't always tell you unless you ask) is what each grader gave the book. They might say 9.0,9.0,9.0 in which case they all agreed.

Obviously, when you are looking to resubmit books (and if I was you, I wouldn't consider it unless you are planning on selling), you would like to see at least one grader, give the book a higher grade (i.e. 9.2).

I just started calling for graders notes last week, and I've collected CGC books for almost two years. The graders are very enjoyable to talk to, and can even give hints like, "with that type of defect, it would be hard to get a better grade".

hey heres a suggestion: (which will never be taken seriously) But think about it. If a book gets a 9.0 grade, the three graders came in with one of three different combinations: 9.0, 9.0, 9.0 or 8.5, 9.0, 9.0 or 9.0, 9.0, 9.2. Similarly EVERY CGC grade has three possible grader combinations.

So if we can call and get these graders notes, and on e9.0 was 8.5 9.0, 9.0 and another was 9.0, 9.0, 9.2 wouldnt (or shouldnt) the market value the latter book as more valuable?? Just as we tend to do with page quality??

I know this sounds silly and adds further emphasis on the "human' factor of grading which ALREADY has given us a certain level of inconsistency so far, but if MY book got a 9.2 along with two 9.0s and another copy had a 8.5 in there, I'd sure think mine was a better book, wouldnt you? It could be considered a 9.33 and the other a 8.82.

okay.. go ahead - - rip it apart.... but I got to thinking about this since many of us send a book that got one higher grade out of three as a candidate for regrading, so whether or not it is deemed worthy of a full upgrade by CGC the second time around, it STILL might be considered a slice above its original grade..just not a full grade higher...

You point is valid.

So if you did have a 9.0 book but one of the graders said it was a 9.2, then it would make sense to:

1) Say that when selling

2) Show a bid scan of the front and back cover

I know I have just started calling for graders notes (sometimes they are too busy, but that's another issue), looking for resubmit candidates.

All that said, there is NO RETAIL PRICE FOR A BOOK.

By that I mean, if we both have CGC 9.4's of the same book (and the graders all agreed on the grade), there still would be NO GUARANTEE that we would both be able to sell the book for the same price.

I just think its a valid opening for more differentiation in identical CGC grades. We have all very quickly assimilated our thinking into a neat but limited series of grade numbers. While Im pleased overall with the tightening of grading during this time, Im getting frustrated with having so many books crammed into so few grade levels! As well as this whole doubling of prices solely based on 9.4 versus 9.2. It clearly stands to reason that not all 9.2s or 9.4s are equal. But their prices are... I think it would be a boon for us to have more aspects of each book with which to rate/value/price them... like paper quality, QP, and graders grades/notes... but, we'll see... a good step in this direction would be easier access to the three grades... why not put them on the label!?

why not put them on the label!?

Because they have little meaning, and yet would crazily and, in my view, inappropriately, affect market value.

I've had a 9.0 cracked out of a slab and re-graded two years later as a 9.4. I've had a 9.0 blue label cracked out and re-graded as an 8.5 green. I've had a 9.2 cracked out and re-graded as an 8.0. I've had a book graded as a 9.4 suffer damage in its holder to the point where it would be fortunate on re-grading to receive a 9.2. I've got books sitting in slabs in which the inner well is not completely flat, and so is likely imparting waves on the book inside it.

I feel there are enough inconsistencies/natural human errors in the grading process to render the individual "sub-grades" largely meaningless. Just a different opinion.

P.S.: Congrats, Bleeker, on the strong grades for 3 fantastic books.