• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Black Panther official movie thread (11/3/17)
1 1

1,408 posts in this topic

Deadline estimating an insane $105MM 2nd weekend, seems pie in the sky.  Anything north of $80MM would be huge.

Deadline needs a better editor or someone that can do arithmetic; 55-57% decline would be an $87- 91MM weekend.

Edited by paperheart

37 minutes ago, ComicConnoisseur said:

Just good quality like Logan, and not another alien invasion end of of the world story.

It had the human quality to it where you cared about the characters and not just another explosion fest.

Exactly. My co-worker who is Algerian only takes his whole family to see one (1) movie /year and BP was it. The 2 late teen girls enjoyed the soundtrack and Gold Panther's acting. Co-worker enjoyed the African 'slave' sub-text which reminded him of Nelson Mandela's speeches. Good spcl effects but not too scary for families with younger kids. :acclaim:

2 hours ago, ComicConnoisseur said:

That's why it was so good. Just good quality like Logan, and not another alien invasion end of of the world story.

It had the human quality to it where you cared about the characters and not just another explosion fest.

I think what most comic connoisseurs (no pun intended) here don't see is that for the regular movie goer, not comic fan, this was perceived as an amazing cinematic experience. They didn't go to see it comparing it to other superheroes movies. 

That's why this movie is so effin out-the-box brilliant. I would've loved to be in that boardroom meeting when BP was discussed and see how this idea was developed

I saw it last night.  I thought they did a very good job.  I'd put it below the first Avengers, but above all of the Thor movies and the 2nd Guardians of the Galaxy for sure.

I like that the villain had some depth to him.  He has the same complexity that I always liked about Magneto. 

The themes of the movie are not as simple as they usually are in comic movies. 

It's clear that I'm never going to be able to buy a copy of FF52 for a reasonable amount after this :)

22 minutes ago, AnthonyTheAbyss said:

wut:screwy:.  There's a giant purple titan that has a say in thatlol.

I agree -- if BP does $100MM this weekend, its doing better than Infinity War isn't out of bounds.

If it does $100MM this weekend, we're looking at $600+ million domestic.

The Avengers did $624 million domestic.

Age of Ultron did just $459 million domestic.

Infinity War should be somewhere in the middle -- definitely $500 million domestic, but $600 million+ is not at all assured.

2 hours ago, Hamlet said:

I saw it last night.  I thought they did a very good job.  I'd put it below the first Avengers, but above all of the Thor movies and the 2nd Guardians of the Galaxy for sure.

I like that the villain had some depth to him.  He has the same complexity that I always liked about Magneto. 

The themes of the movie are not as simple as they usually are in comic movies. 

It's clear that I'm never going to be able to buy a copy of FF52 for a reasonable amount after this :)

It struck me how similar they made Killmonger to Magneto in many respects.

1. Parents murdered

2. Coming from a minority group that was historically oppressed.

3. While justified and even sympithetic figures concerning their feelings, deciding to adopt similar violent methods that their oppressors used.

4. In many respects becoming what they hated and were fighting back against.

5. Insisting that the only way to win, get justice, and securing safety for their group required the conquest of everyone else.

8 hours ago, Hamlet said:

For such a hit movie with an exciting new following and a possible new breed of collectors, Im quite shocked that this book hasnt moved significantly higher than it probably should.

If I had some speculative blood left in me, Id probably go for a 9.0 right now and keep it in the safe for a while 

I’m very curious to see how the use Black Panther in the movies moving forward. At this rate he’s their biggest box office hero since Iron Man.

looks like Marvel may have found their star post RDJ