• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Black Panther official movie thread (11/3/17)
1 1

1,408 posts in this topic

In Celebration Of 'Black Panther's Success, Disney Donates $1 Million To Youth STEM Program

The Walt Disney Company has donated $1 million to the Boys & Girls Clubs of America in celebration of the record-breaking success of Black Panther, the company announced Monday in a statement.

The grant will support the expansion of Boys & Girls Clubs of America's STEM Centers of Innovation, including 12 new sites across the country.

Those youth STEM (Science, Technology, Engineering and Math) programs support the high-tech skills seen in Black Panther — exhibited most by the technologically advanced Wakanda and its chief inventor, Shuri — skills that are essential in helping youth succeed.

“Marvel Studios’ Black Panther is a masterpiece of movie making and has become an instant cultural phenomenon, sparking discussion, inspiring people young and old, and breaking down age-old industry myths,” said Disney Chairman and CEO Bob Iger.

“It is thrilling to see how inspired young audiences were by the spectacular technology in the film, so it’s fitting that we show our appreciation by helping advance STEM programs for youth, especially in underserved areas of the country, to give them the knowledge and tools to build the future they want.”

:applause:

By the way, Disney stock rallied this week to over $109 (+)/share compared to last week's low of $101. Looks like even that experienced a bump.

I could see Black Panther being the logical choice to lead the team in a post-Chris Evans/Robert Downey, Jr. era.

As in:

The West Coast Avengers

• Black Panther
  • Captain Marvel
  • Scarlet Witch
  • Black Widow
  • The Falcon
  • Ironheart (Shuri)

And note - not a white guy among them. Some folks would lose their minds...

Edited by Gatsby77

4 hours ago, Antpark said:

Let's not get carried away here. :screwy:

It's one movie. A good movie, yes . . . a great movie, sure . . . but still a single movie.

This movie's hype machine is in overdrive ("King of Hollywood on Oscar night") -- don't underestimate American apathy, laziness, and short attention spans.

Let's see how the "property" is still doing a few years out before going crazy altogether.

Hypothetically

Is Pocahontas a bigger property than wolverine?

Is Lion King bigger?

Just asking

2 hours ago, Gatsby77 said:

I could see Black Panther being the logical choice to lead the team in a post-Chris Evans/Robert Downey, Jr. era.

As in:

The West Coast Avengers

• Black Panther
  • Captain Marvel
  • Scarlet Witch
  • Black Widow
  • The Falcon
  • Ironheart (Shuri)

And note - not a white guy among them. Some folks would lose their minds...

don't know what an Ironheart is but give me more Shuri for sure

Fans Are Petitioning For A 'Black Panther' TV Show

If you head to Change.org, you will find one petition for a Black Panther TV series is gaining traction. The page, which can be found here, was made by Eric Hamilton. The petition details the film’s massive success before laying out the potential of a show centered on Wakanda.

“Telling the back story of Wakanda would be a game changer. How did Wakanda become the most technologically advanced country on Earth? From the technology to the artistry coupled with the rich African traditions, the fans demand more,” Hamilton wrote.

“The Black Panther fanbase would love to see a Wakanda Series on Netflix. This series would expand the depth of the Marvel universe and we feel Marvel/Disney would enjoy creating and adapting these stories as much as we would love watching them.”

So far, the petition has earned nearly 4,300 signatures since it was posted.

4 hours ago, Bosco685 said:

What - you differ with my opinion? Why, I'll get so mad I become unhinged.

gorilla2angry8nh.gif~c200

Got that out of my system. Now, back to reality.

I hear ya. This is an initial response to a movie that has hit a drastically underserved market. So to many, it is easy to say this is the new THING. But it is still exciting a comic book movie is bringing this out at theaters.

It will be interesting to see how Marvel handles any follow-up.

LOL.

I absolutely agree by the way, especially the bolded part.

1 hour ago, Aweandlorder said:

Hypothetically

Is Pocahontas a bigger property than wolverine?

Is Lion King bigger?

Just asking

That's not even an apples to oranges comparison -- it's more like apples to ketchup. :boo:

Replace Wolverine with Black Panther and the answers would still be the same. 

I didn't mean to rain on the parade here, it just feels like the hyperbole is getting out of control. I'm waiting for someone to say "I took my kid to see this movie and it cured his cancer!" or " :news: -- Peace in Country XYZ spontaneously broke out after the opposing factions sat down and watched Black Panther."

28 minutes ago, Antpark said:

LOL.

I absolutely agree by the way, especially the bolded part.

That's not even an apples to oranges comparison -- it's more like apples to ketchup. :boo:

Replace Wolverine with Black Panther and the answers would still be the same. 

I didn't mean to rain on the parade here, it just feels like the hyperbole is getting out of control. I'm waiting for someone to say "I took my kid to see this movie and it cured his cancer!" or " :news: -- Peace in Country XYZ spontaneously broke out after the opposing factions sat down and watched Black Panther."

youre not raining on anyone's.. mostly avoiding sticking to the question (shrug)

But hey, whatever makes one happy

I went with my two daughters and wifey yesterday; we all enjoyed it. I did not think that the movie was as preachy/political as I had heard but the post credits scene is where you'll find most of that. I was kidding my daughters "Martin Freeman was not in the movie very much, odd with him being the hero and all". It was a heck of a movie that had some great scenes...my kids were shocked at a few events but knowing comics you know certain things have to happen. It was a very good movie and a good stand alone Marvel movie, the kind everyone wants to see supposedly...smaller story, more intimate hero/villain battle with some great supporting characters from the comics! Makes me hopeful for movies based on comics like Havok & Wolverine : Meltdown and Dr Doom/ Dr Strange Triumph & Torment some day.

16 hours ago, Antpark said:

Let's not get carried away here. :screwy:

It's one movie. A good movie, yes . . . a great movie, sure . . . but still a single movie.

This movie's hype machine is in overdrive ("King of Hollywood on Oscar night") -- don't underestimate American apathy, laziness, and short attention spans.

Let's see how the "property" is still doing a few years out before going crazy altogether.

Point taken, but this is a legit phenomenon.

Remember how big Wonder Woman was last year?

Yeah - Black Panther will pass its entire domestic take today.

(I personally think Wonder Woman was a slightly better movie, but I'll support any well-done comic book film.)

As a character, BP is now bigger than Deadpool among the general populace (as in, more Americans have already seen BP than saw Deadpool in its entire theatrical run).

But for me the mark is now $578 million domestic.

If Black Panther passes that mark, it will have surpassed Batman (1989), a film that was _the_ blockbuster event of the year and that redefined what comic book movies could be. Batman was _everywhere_ that summer and was the reason I started collecting comics in the first place.

And Black Panther will likely turn out to be bigger -- and in a much more fragmented media environment with 3x as many entertainment choices, that's even more impressive.

Interesting article on how Black Panther could change the Marvel future.

How Black Panther's Success Could Affect Marvel Studios' Strategy Going Forward

As many have pointed out, Black Panther is not the first comic book movie with a black lead character -- having been beat to that punch by the Blade trilogy and Steel -- but it is the first to be made with a $200 million budget, and by a primarily black cast and crew. In the case of the latter, there's no denying that it lent the new film an entirely new flavor and feel, and the essence of that is something that audiences can expect Marvel to chase. To date, Ryan Coogler and Taika Waititi (Thor: Ragnarok) are the only non-white directors hired by the studio, but that shouldn't be such an exclusive club for much longer. The metaphorical glass ceiling is also coming down in terms of gender, as Anna Boden, who is co-directing Captain Marvel with her filmmaking partner/husband Ryan Fleck, is the first woman to helm a Marvel Studios project. There is a growing understanding that diverse voices are needed to tell diverse and interesting stories, and while Marvel Cinematic Universe Phase Four titles remain largely a mystery, there is a growing expectation reflection of that idea in the future.

Of course, given the immense importance of cultural representation, the protagonists being showcased in Black Panther are a huge part of the movie's incredible impact, and it should change things in terms of the diversity of characters that get their own solo blockbusters in the near future. Again, even before the release of the new blockbuster this was starting to become a thing at the company -- with female-fronted flicks Ant-Man & The Wasp and Captain Marvel given their respective green lights years ago -- but now there are dollar figures to demonstrate the real potential and advocate expansion. Surely not all of them will click like Black Panther has (that's asking far too much of any project), but it would be crazy for Marvel to not try and find a way to make great heroes like White Tiger, Kamala Khan, and Amadeus Cho click with audiences.

On beyond the matter of diversity, truly one of the great attractions Black Panther offers is its journey into the unique country of Wakanda -- and that story approach is certainly something that we could potentially see a lot more of in the future of the Marvel Cinematic Universe. Not only is it a special way of finding new and different stories to tell, building worlds within worlds, it could even be a hook for attracting new filmmakers (joining a major franchise is daunting, but the opportunity to go hog-wild creating new environments, cultures, and personalities negates that negativity). Admittedly this is a touch harder to do with Earth-based stories, as there aren't too many secret nations tucked away on our planet in the Marvel Universe, but there are hundreds if not thousands of cosmic stories just waiting to be told.

1 hour ago, Gatsby77 said:

If Black Panther passes that mark, it will have surpassed Batman (1989), a film that was _the_ blockbuster event of the year and that redefined what comic book movies could be. Batman was _everywhere_ that summer and was the reason I started collecting comics in the first place.

Me too! After watching '89 Batman I became Bat-obsessed. 

9 minutes ago, bane said:

Me too! After watching '89 Batman I became Bat-obsessed. 

But is Black Panther leading to the same comic book shop rush that Batman (1989) caused? Or is Marvel cranking out a bunch of Black Panther Universe books now, and the reaction is wait-and-see? There are some featurettes that come with the Batman (1989) multi-disc version of the movie. This one goes into how massive an impact it had on comic book stores and the creation of any material they could publish involving Batman.

Just wondering.

People paying $25 just to watch a movie trailer (pre-internet and free trailers), swarming theaters for copies of the movie poster and folks wanting to buy Batman comic books - just because they had to have one.

25 minutes ago, Bosco685 said:

People paying $25 just to watch a movie trailer (pre-internet and free trailers), swarming theaters for copies of the movie poster and folks wanting to buy Batman comic books - just because they had to have one.

Yup.

And for all that, Black Panther is now on-track to have more people watch it in the theater than watched Batman that summer.

To be clear, $404 million is a far cry from $578 million, but give it a few more weeks...

27 minutes ago, Gatsby77 said:

Yup.

And for all that, Black Panther is now on-track to have more people watch it in the theater than watched Batman that summer.

To be clear, $404 million is a far cry from $578 million, but give it a few more weeks...

Sorry - you missed the point.

Beyond the BOX OFFICE, how is Black Panther leading to an impact on the comic book market it blossomed from? It may be too soon to tell yet, though the reaction with people wearing the Black Panther masks and hand signals is very widespread.

Edited by Bosco685