• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Black Panther official movie thread (11/3/17)
1 1

1,408 posts in this topic

3 hours ago, Bosco685 said:

But is Black Panther leading to the same comic book shop rush that Batman (1989) caused? Or is Marvel cranking out a bunch of Black Panther Universe books now, and the reaction is wait-and-see? There are some featurettes that come with the Batman (1989) multi-disc version of the movie. This one goes into how massive an impact it had on comic book stores and the creation of any material they could publish involving Batman.

Just wondering.

No, and it should not for the simple reason that the comic book medium is not as big as it was back then. BP is still just a 2nd/3rd tier comic book property that cannot sustain a long term successful run, but it does not matter as long as the character rakes it at the theatres.

Like I have posted numerous times on these boards, comics do not matter any longer. Disney/Marvel will make more $$$ from just the BP movie than they do off of an entire year of comic sales. Comic floppies/trades are just a cheap way to 1) test/introduce new characters and story concepts and more importantly 2) help maintain IP ownership. 

Edited by kimik

1 hour ago, Bosco685 said:

Sorry - you missed the point.

Beyond the BOX OFFICE, how is Black Panther leading to an impact on the comic book market it blossomed from? It may be too soon to tell yet, though the reaction with people wearing the Black Panther masks and hand signals is very widespread.

I wouldn't look at either comic books or movie numbers as indication of popularity and success. Those numbers are solid as they're expected to be. Instead Just look at BP toys on eBay. There are more of those sold than Lion King for example.. and prettt darn close to Wolverine/deadpool. And there are far more BP merch being sold off the black market (as in bootlegs) down by me, on the streets, bodegas, subways.. as in tshirts key chains caps.. it's just a matter of time till BP hits musical lyrics and then it's a wrap. 

There have been countless successful superhero box office hits (thank god) but if u can't see the difference with this one try again

7 minutes ago, Aweandlorder said:

I wouldn't look at either comic books or movie numbers as indication of popularity and success. Those numbers are solid as they're expected to be. Instead Just look at BP toys on eBay. There are more of those sold than Lion King for example.. and prettt darn close to Wolverine/deadpool. And there are far more BP merch being sold off the black market (as in bootlegs) down by me, on the streets, bodegas, subways.. as in tshirts key chains caps.. it's just a matter of time till BP hits musical lyrics and then it's a wrap. 

There have been countless successful superhero box office hits (thank god) but if u can't see the difference with this one try again

Are you assuming I don't see this as some unique hit? It is very clear how massive this movie is from a BOX OFFICE perspective.

Now I do like where you are going in looking beyond just comic books, as merchandising is where the money is. Is there a massive Black Panther response that has been documented?

FWIW, an online/social media black nerd group my wife participates in had it's website crash this past weekend from all the BP traffic. If that energy & excitement can be translated to comics or other merch, well....

19 minutes ago, Aweandlorder said:

This.

Daily think pieces...

A dozen New York Times articles so far...

That Ta-Nehisi Coates wrote the comic two years ago and is now serving as a brand ambassador for the character...

The soundtrack has topped the billboard charts two weeks in a row...

Comic book sales don't matter anymore (and haven't for awhile). Hell, even the first few Spider-Man movies didn't affect print runs of that title.

This is a cultural phenomenon.

It may be (like Titanic or The first Avengers movie) lightning in a bottle, but it's real -- and moving the needle in broader conversations about superheroes, race, and culture.

Edited by Gatsby77

18 minutes ago, Bosco685 said:

Are you assuming I don't see this as some unique hit? It is very clear how massive this movie is from a BOX OFFICE perspective.

Now I do like where you are going in looking beyond just comic books, as merchandising is where the money is. Is there a massive Black Panther response that has been documented?

Sorry Boss (co), wasn't referencing you in my post altho I quoted you :foryou:

6 minutes ago, Aweandlorder said:

Sorry Boss (co), wasn't referencing you in my post altho I quoted you :foryou:

:foryou:

No harm done.

But it is going to be interesting what the merchandising results will look like from this movie. That's also where Batman (1989) was huge for the market. And at least nowadays with the internet, it is much easier to track down the results.

How much money are studios making off those licensed products?

That 57% domestic on a haul this size is pretty impressive.  Clearly Americans, black and otherwise, are invested in this character on the big screen.  This is way beyond a good movie (which it is, although not groundbreaking or brilliant) and the MCU machine.  Wakanda forever, as they say!

Dan

'Black Panther' Drives IMAX to Record February Box Office

IMAX CEO Richard Gelfond recently touched on the film's success during the company's fourth quarter earnings report (via Variety), revealing that Black Panther helped the company set a record February box office.

"I am pleased to say that 2018 is off to a solid start,” Gelfond said. “We recently achieved record box office in February, led by Black Panther, which did $35 million in Imax box office over the four-day opening weekend. In China, we exhibited three local-language titles during the Chinese New Year period and grew box office 60%, compared to the prior years’ holiday.”

12 hours ago, Bosco685 said:

Okay thanks for this.  

But you will note that these identical analyses that you are using to high ball the "estimated" budget for this film are virtually identical to those metrics for Justice League that all cited $300MM as its budget, yet you chose to stubbornly continue to low ball the budget of that film on your charts to "$275MM". 

Including  TheNumbers site, which you use as your primary source above, which you will note  (and I'm sure you know) also has the budget for Justice League at $300MM:

https://www.the-numbers.com/movie/Justice-League-(2017)#tab=summary

I've said it before and I'll say it again- I appreciate that you take the time to compile these charts, but if you're going to do so, let's have truth and consistency in the analytics, and leave the (fanboy) number-skewing part of it out of the equations.  

Thanks again.  (thumbsu

-J.