• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Black Panther official movie thread (11/3/17)
1 1

1,408 posts in this topic

6 minutes ago, aardvark88 said:

I believe Killmonger was only 1/2 Wakandan, 1/2 Oakland, CA, USA so the speech about African slaves on boats to America would apply.

They clearly started his mother was a US citizen.  It was given as the reason that the uncle was reluctant to leave his post and return home, because of the implications of a royal having a child with a foreigner and a commoner.   This was compounded by the secretive nature of his job and his homeland. It was also the reason that the uncle had become radicalized when it came to what he had seen on assignment. 

It didn't live up to the hype (I didn't think it would because it wasn't realistic) but a solid movie that's definitely worth seeing.

8/10 but I wouldn't argue if somebody said 9/10.

***Really excited about the end credit scene.  I don't think it will follow the comic storyline but we now know Bucky's Wakanda role in Avengers Infinity War

19 hours ago, Rip said:

Armond White's review. For those prone to getting angry upon reading reviews, take a deep breath and a few shots of something strong. He has a long history of getting under peoples skin.

https://www.nationalreview.com/2018/02/black-panther-overhyped-race-fantasy/

He's one unhappy puppy.

Saw it on Saturday - thought it was really well done, good cast, good acting, good story.  Some plot holes (like all superhero films) but it was a very good movie - I thought they did a really good job with the character - although full disclosure, no clue if they over embellished his powers or abilities as I am not a big Black Panther fan.

Of the last 5 super-hero films I have seen (Guardians 2, Wonder Woman, Thor Ragnarok, Justice League, and Black Panther) it was easily the second best IMO.

Edited by Chillax23

1 hour ago, Bosco685 said:

Good on Patty Jenkins in calling this out like James Gunn and Kevin Feige did for her.

:applause:

From what little social media I follow of creators, this seems rather common.  I've seen Jim Lee and Shane Davis send their congratulations to Marvel, just as I've seen people associated with Marvel send their blessings to DC.  We're all fans of comics as a medium so these tweets should come as no surprise.

40 minutes ago, ExNihilo said:

From what little social media I follow of creators, this seems rather common.  I've seen Jim Lee and Shane Davis send their congratulations to Marvel, just as I've seen people associated with Marvel send their blessings to DC.  We're all fans of comics as a medium so these tweets should come as no surprise.

I wouldn't make that jump so easily when it comes to certain industry leaders. Joe Quesada made it a point to mock DC, including when it left NYC for California.

But I agree when it comes to the studios and most of the comic book production offices, there seems to be less tension. It's a smaller world than most realize. So there is always chance for changing companies. And why folks like Feige and Gunn get annoyed when people go all-out to attack a studio over their movies unnecessarily.

Edited by Bosco685

I want all comic book movies to do well because that just means more for me :whistle:

Edited by Azkaban

Dallas Mavericks Star Harrison Barnes Takes 150 Kids To See 'Black Panther'

The NBA's Dallas Mavericks has a players eager to give back to the community. Most recently, the team's small forward Harrison Barnes did just that by taking 150 kids to see Marvel's Black Panther.

Barnes and Mavericks owner Marc Cuban popped into the screening to talk to the kids and the others in attendance. Barnes was wearing a shirt which a friend got for him from Ghana in the spirit of Africa. "I really wanted you guys to see this movie and the actors," Barnes said. "To be able to see yourself...I want you guys to all know that you can be the kings and queens that you guys are, that you guys should be, and that you guys will become."

40 minutes ago, Bosco685 said:

That $60 million+ Sunday gross is a monster.

Puts it at # 4 on the all-time inflation-adjusted chart for a Sunday. After only:

• The Avengers
  • The Force Awakens
  • Jurassic World

More people saw Black Panther on its first Sunday than folks saw The Dark Knight on its first Sunday.