• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Top 40 Copper in Overstreet

125 posts in this topic

Both Batman Adventures 12 and Next Men 21 are NOT Copper books.

Says who...?

hm

The OP's own parameters in his first post. But who reads nowadays (shrug)

I agree...

1992(ish)

...who does read nowadays....?

hm

After reviewing publishing and age parameters I agree that BA12 should be a keystone for the start of Modern.

As far as reading, I have to say, I got back into the hobby a few years back and have really enjoyed catching up on classics I missed. There is just so much out there to read!

ASM 298 definitely should be (stay) on the list. As others have pointed out, it's the book that really (that I can remember) kicked off the "artist 1st appearance" thing (yes, I am aware that he did other books, most notably Hulk), but his ASM run is what made him a superstar. He was the biggest artist of the late 80's. He's the #3 Spidey artist (after Ditko and Romita) and his influence on the character is still felt today.

It was the top McFarlane book for quite awhile before 300 (deservedly so) overtook it.

I always thought first artist 1st appearance on character was something that was sort of a fad - I remember also when 298 was worth more than 300 for awhile.

Prior first artist on character books like MTU 53 (Byrne X-men) and PPTSS 27 (Miller DD) were supposedly important books - I think 1st artist appearance in the run held value better (X 108/DD 158) but even they lost steam.

(shrug)

As a general rule, I agree with you (fad). I was even going to mention the Miller Peter Parker 27.

I think 298 is a bit different. I don't really have a good explanation as to why. It just "feels" different.

As I said, his influence on the character is bigger than all but 2 guys (and you might even be able to argue that, artistically, he was more influential to the character than even Romita). The book is almost 30 years old now and some of the McFarlane "trademarks" (the big "eyes", the web, the "spider" poses) are still evident.

He ushered in the artist as "rock star" era. And, if not for his success, Image may not have been formed. Obviously the other guys (Lee, Liefeld, etc..) were just as important to the Image founding. But his success and stardom on ASM is what jumpstarted the whole thing.

Look at Hulk #340 and tell me that is not the same trademark McFarlane artwork?

If you are talking top 100 keys then sure, ASM #298 should be on the list. However, if we are talking top 40 then #300 is the only McSpidey that deserves to be there.

Even back when it came out, my friends and I accumulated #300s rather than #298s or #299s. It seemed weird that #298 was worth more to me seeing as I felt that #300 was the bigger book. Too bad I sold off all those copies along with my first collection during university in the late 90s...........

From the original list I'd drop these 12 books:

Archie 320

It's Betty and Veronica #320, and I can't agree with you on this. It's a bit weird to me, but there's a cult of Cheryl Blossom fans who apparently would sell their grandma for a copy of this comic.

It's hard to find in any condition, thanks to the fact that the series had a low print run at the time and, unlike copper DC's and Marvels, almost all of the copies that were sold, were sold to kids, not collectors. And because of that, it's also nearly impossible to find in high grade. Including Canadian price variants, there are only 35 total copies on the census, with just one copy in 9.8.

First appearance of a popular character + scarcity = Top 40 for sure in my opinion.

I actually think ASM #298, 299, 300, 301 Could all potentially be on a list of top 40, they are historically that important for the CA.

Also it was a book I forgot, but UXM #248 is without a doubt one of the top 40 most important CA books. Artist first works on titles, especially those that had a large impact on the title character/comics in general may be in the dog house today in our 1st app driven market, but that doesn't make them less important IMO.

From the original list I'd drop these 12 books:

Archie 320

It's Betty and Veronica #320, and I can't agree with you on this. It's a bit weird to me, but there's a cult of Cheryl Blossom fans who apparently would sell their grandma for a copy of this comic.

It's hard to find in any condition, thanks to the fact that the series had a low print run at the time and, unlike copper DC's and Marvels, almost all of the copies that were sold, were sold to kids, not collectors. And because of that, it's also nearly impossible to find in high grade. Including Canadian price variants, there are only 35 total copies on the census, with just one copy in 9.8.

First appearance of a popular character + scarcity = Top 40 for sure in my opinion.

Didn't even know about this book. Looked around and agree.

It really depends how you want to take this list. Rare? Sought after? Great storyline? Highest priced / selling?

Top Copper Overstreet

Ther are many threads on the subject, but the attached link goes to a list that is based on Overstreet prices (9.2 raw) and Overstreet date parameters. As we've all seen, Overstreet will sometimes forget their own date ranges, or not realize that they have higher priced books in their own publication that fail to make their own lists.

Since Overstreet is in the business of reporting market value, I could understand a list based on market values. Asking Overstreet to make a determination on 'importance' or 'significance'? Not sure that will happen.

I do enjoy a good list. (thumbs u

I had watched some of those earlier threads with interest, but I wasn't convinced... The one you posted suggest (for example) that Bone #3 is one of the most important books of the Copper Age. Now, nobody's list is ever going to be completely the same as someone else's, but I really like the way this discussion has shaped up so far. I find the suggestions credible, and the criticisms of my list from last year's Guide to be well thought out and constructive...

After reviewing publishing and age parameters I agree that BA12 should be a keystone for the start of Modern.

As far as reading, I have to say, I got back into the hobby a few years back and have really enjoyed catching up on classics I missed. There is just so much out there to read!

Ygogolak is echoing the comments of a few others here, and I find it increasingly convincing... BA 12 seems stylistically quite different from the other books on the list. I had thought this might be the "animated" context, but you're convincing me it's more of a copper/modern split, and that this book might not belong here.

Good discussion. I'm going to go a bit outside the lines here and offer a handful of issues that I haven't seen brought up yet (I don't think), but I think either hover around the border of Top 40 or has great potential in the future as Copper keys:

* Crisis 1, 7, 8 (Crisis has to make the list, doesn't it??)

* Marvel Graphic Novel 4

* Spectacular Spider-Man 64

* Secret Wars 1

* Power Pack 1 (ok ok, I'm biased, but don't laugh, there's a lot of love for these characters out there, and this series could have that "bought by kids so copies are rough" problem with HG copies....)

For that matter, a few years down the line, we may be searching for HG Star Comics such as Ewoks & Droids with all the Star Wars stuffs that's about to hit pop culture like a tsunami in the upcoming years. Speaking of...

* Star Wars 68, 107

I should mention that of my 190 or so slabs listed on MySlabbedComics site, by FAR my most viewed is my BDKR 1 9.8. A distant second but still good count is my B&V 320. A step behind that in third is my SS 64. Btw, Love & Rockets 1 just missed the cut by coming out in 1981 but extremely popular if the Copper Age list was to slip back one more year.

Thanks to everyone for the ideas and contributions. I know we will never get 100% agreement on this, but I appreciate all the ideas and suggestions. I'm a big believer in crowdsourcing, and I think your input will make my efforts much stronger.

To accommodate all the great suggestions, I'm going to change my "Top 40" list to a "Top 50" list for this year's guide. I'll try to acknowledge everyone who took part in the Guide as well, though the final edits aren't mine to decide... I will use Board names, but PM me if you'd like me to use your real name (or if you'd rather not be mentioned as part of this discussion)...

So here's the list I'll likely run with this year:

Albedo #2

Amazing Spider-Man #238, #252, #298, #300, #361

Archie's Girls Betty and Veronica #320

Batman #357, #386, #404, #428

Batman: The Dark Knight Returns #1

Batman: The Killing Joke

Bone #1

Caliber Presents #1

Comico Primer #2

Crisis on Infinite Earths #1

The Crow #1

DC Comics Presents #47

Evil Ernie #1

G.I. Joe: A Real American Hero #1

Harbinger #1

Incredible Hulk #271, #340

Iron Man #282

Marvel Graphic Novel #4

Marvel Super Heroes Secret Wars #8

Miracleman #15

New Mutants #87, #98, Annual #2

Sandman #1, #8

Spectacular Spider-Man #64

Swamp Thing #21, #37

Starslayer #2

Tales of the New Teen Titans #44

Thor #337

Transformers #1

Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles #1

Uncanny X-men #221, #248, #266

Vampirella #113

Warrior #1

Watchmen #1

Wolverine (limited series) #1

X-Factor #6, #24

I have to submit my report to Overstreet by December 8, so I guess this is a "speak now or forever hold your peace" moment... But we can always do this again next year!

Thanks to everyone for the ideas and contributions. I know we will never get 100% agreement on this, but I appreciate all the ideas and suggestions. I'm a big believer in crowdsourcing, and I think your input will make my efforts much stronger.

To accommodate all the great suggestions, I'm going to change my "Top 40" list to a "Top 50" list for this year's guide. I'll try to acknowledge everyone who took part in the Guide as well, though the final edits aren't mine to decide... I will use Board names, but PM me if you'd like me to use your real name (or if you'd rather not be mentioned as part of this discussion)...

So here's the list I'll likely run with this year:

Albedo #2

Amazing Spider-Man #238, #252, #298, #300, #361

Archie's Girls Betty and Veronica #320

Batman #357, #386, #404, #428

Batman: The Dark Knight Returns #1

Batman: The Killing Joke

Bone #1

Caliber Presents #1

Comico Primer #2

Crisis on Infinite Earths #1

The Crow #1

DC Comics Presents #47

Evil Ernie #1

G.I. Joe: A Real American Hero #1

Harbinger #1

Incredible Hulk #271, #340

Iron Man #282

Marvel Graphic Novel #4

Marvel Super Heroes Secret Wars #8

Miracleman #15

New Mutants #87, #98, Annual #2

Sandman #1, #8

Spectacular Spider-Man #64

Swamp Thing #21, #37

Starslayer #2

Tales of the New Teen Titans #44

Thor #337

Transformers #1

Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles #1

Uncanny X-men #221, #248, #266

Vampirella #113

Warrior #1

Watchmen #1

Wolverine (limited series) #1

X-Factor #6, #24

I have to submit my report to Overstreet by December 8, so I guess this is a "speak now or forever hold your peace" moment... But we can always do this again next year!

I like it! (thumbs u

-J.

I like the list. 1 thing, as far as last chance to speak up...

Other than having a cool a heck cover, what's special about Hulk #340? Especially when you have 2 other McFarlane covers? I'd rather have Marvel Graphic Novel #1. I think the death of Captain Marvel is much more important, as is the 1st in a line of OGN's, than a well drawn Wolvie / Hulk battle that is 1 out of dozens. That GN has has something like a dozen or more printings, and came out in 1982.

:baiting:

Why is the Vampirella book on the list?
It is the final Magazine issue. Kind of hard to find, especially in high grade.

Although I am a big Vampirella fan, I also don't think it belongs on the list.

I'm not sure I agree with the other parts of the list, especially the Vampi book. I'm not sure general scarcity means it belongs.

Can I bring up another possibility? I'm interested to see what you guys think. Looking on this list I see a lot of books that are up for various reasons so I wanted to throw one out: Dark Hose Presents #51, as it's the 1st SIN CITY. Now, I know it came out in July '91, but it was in 8 page segments and ran for years. OR - you could call the GN the whole story which is how most of us read it (before it was given the subtitle "The Hard Goodbye") that was published in 1992.

Some of the books on this list are there because they have significance, or are high in price, or are influential, or any combination of that. I'd think that Sin CIty was pretty influential.