• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Help me understand why FF 48 is so valuable? ( sarcasm to make a point)

126 posts in this topic

But the original question :

Why FF45 shouldnt be more valuable then FF48 at every grade

Is referring to the here and now, not the future.

I was implying the future is now. ;)

FF48 CGC 9.2 $2,250 ZERO BIDS

http://www.ebay.ca/itm/FANTASTIC-FOUR-48-CGC-9-2-White-Pages-1st-SILVER-SURFER-GALACTUS-Marvel-Key-/221591134599?pt=US_Comic_Books&hash=item3397dc6187

FF 45 CGC 9.2 $3,150 TWNETY-SEVEN BIDS

http://www.ebay.ca/itm/Fantastic-Four-45-CGC-9-2-NM-1st-Inhumans-and-Black-Bolt-/301378135312?pt=US_Comic_Books&hash=item462b896510

It's too late - if Inhumans are currently more popular-Galactus is already an important Icon of history-nothing will change that.

Beyonce is more popular than george washington but guess who's signature is more valuable?

Times change get used to it.

Have you read anything with the Inhumans in it? Kirby's FF is top notch, and their first story arc is a classic, but the Inhumans don't have the depth to sustain a monthly and replace the X-Men. They're too other-worldly, and people won't relate. At best, it'll be "Luna in the City" with cameos by her uncles and aunts as she goes to college or some such crud. "But mom, I don't wanna marry an Inhuman, I've fallen for this forced token ethnic person!" Do you want to pay for that? Be my guess.

In ten or twenty years, we'll still be here, and we'll still like the same books. Feel free to stick around while the prices on your modern "keys" and movie hyped books correct back down so we can use you as an example. (thumbs u

Yes, I've read my fair share of the inhumans. In ten or twenty years, I'll be either millionaire or gazzilionaire. I sure won't be belittling people in message boards when I reach 40 (thumbs u

Inhumans arent a movie hyped book. FF45 isnt going anywhere.

33y3lz6.gif

2012 GPA High: $405

2014 GPA High: $2,700

2012 GPA High: $200

2014 GPA High: $1,399

2012 GPA High: $92

2014 GPA High: $715

That $2700 sale listed on GPA is bogus. GPA says the same book was sold just days before.

To understand my point, we would have to agree on a definition of "movie-hyped" book. FF45 has been climbing strongly for several years, like all of the books related to stuff that was due to enter the MCU.

Climbing strongly for several years?? Not "movie-hyped?"

Again, let's examine the data and review GPA High sales.

2008: $451

2009: $525

2010: $501

2011: $600

2012: $405

2013: $1,076

2014: $2,700

2008: $235

2009: $102

2010: $179

2011: $195

2012: $200

2013: $575 - Aug-30-2013 - $333 / Dec-12-2013 - $575 hm

2014: $1,399

2009: $60

2010: $126

2011: $80

2012: $92

2013: $355 Oct-31-2013

2014: $715

2008: $133

2009: $55

2010: $60

2013: $89

2014: $450

Climbing strongly for several years or movie-hyped? :juggle:

And I'll agree that I don't think that it'll drop again to pre-movie speculation prices. Who would buy a book for $1,399 hoping for profit and then sell for $333?

Additionally, Marvel is pushing The Inhumans just as they are pushing Guardians of the Galaxy.

Guardians of the Galaxy = the new Fantastic Four. A group of wise-cracking, humorous, galaxy traversing, adventurers.

The Inhumans = the new X-Men. A group of outcasts with superhuman powers lurking in the shadows of society.

Marvel will force interest in the Inhumans.

Silver Surfer = iconic, historical, nostalgic love for the character

Inhumans = $ driven

:whistle:

And to be clear, I don't own either book. I really want an FF #48. FF #45 is way down on my want list, but that's just because of Black Bolt.

But the original question :

Why FF45 shouldnt be more valuable then FF48 at every grade

Is referring to the here and now, not the future.

I was implying the future is now. ;)

FF48 CGC 9.2 $2,250 ZERO BIDS

http://www.ebay.ca/itm/FANTASTIC-FOUR-48-CGC-9-2-White-Pages-1st-SILVER-SURFER-GALACTUS-Marvel-Key-/221591134599?pt=US_Comic_Books&hash=item3397dc6187

FF 45 CGC 9.2 $3,150 TWNETY-SEVEN BIDS

http://www.ebay.ca/itm/Fantastic-Four-45-CGC-9-2-NM-1st-Inhumans-and-Black-Bolt-/301378135312?pt=US_Comic_Books&hash=item462b896510

Problem is, can't assume after a couple weeks of hype, that IS actually the future.

Imagine the time we would be living in, if Fantastic Four :Rise of the Silver Surfer, had blown people away?

Climbing strongly for several years?? Not "movie-hyped?"

I have followed the book personally for several years and have watched it climb. It's been 2+ years that its been rising.

But lets not get lost in false dichotomies.

- A book can climb for several years AND be completely movie hype.

- A book can also suddenly spike in price AND NOT be movie-hype.

I say it is not movie hype because I am implying it is a permanent change. People can doubt that the change is permanent, only time will show which case is right.

My objection is to people who dispute that the change is even possible, as if there is something magical about FF48 having become permanently valuable.

Remember my thread was titled to make fun of the "how can FF45 be valuable" thread. It is valuable for the same supply and demand reasons that any comic book is valuable. There just happen to be two camps. Those who think its movie-hype, and those who think its a generational shift.

I gave you the figures. Aside from any sort of built-in increase from general inflation, point to me where there has been steady increase in the book? I even gave you the points in 2013 where there was a sudden increase in price. Show us this steady increase over the years and tell us again how this isn't a movie-hyped book. :popcorn:

So, just how many FF #45's are you sitting on? :baiting:

I own two, I got a copy as a birthday present the one year, and the second is a high grade copy I bought back in June of this year because the price was getting so high that I didnt want to be priced out of owning a great copy, and had always planned to upgrade my existing copy.

Both are Raw....neither is for sale.......

I understand your point CBT,but let's be honest here.Galactus and the Silver Surfers 1st appearance is far more significant than the Inhumans 1st appearance,period.

Dollarwise may be different now,due to the movie hype,but significance of FF 48 will always be more important.

Show us this steady increase over the years and tell us again how this isn't a movie-hyped book. :popcorn:

Those are two separate debates as I have already stated. Movie-Hype versus permanent change is one debate, time of the climb is another. If I have time later I can try and put together some auction history to show you the 2+ years of climbing.

Here's an article (and there were lots at the time) from 2 and half years ago were Kevin Feige is talking about wanting to make Inhumans.

http://screenrant.com/guardians-of-the-galaxy-doctor-strange-inhumans-movies-rob-168383/

Inhumans in the MCU has been speculated on for a long long time. I dont need to PROVE IT, but I probably will pull some numbers together for you later on when I am not at work.

I was close to going after a 9.8 run on the original Inhumans series, and got priced out of it because of articles like the one I showed you spurred the speculation -- 2 years ago.

I understand your point CBT,but let's be honest here.Galactus and the Silver Surfers 1st appearance is far more significant than the Inhumans 1st appearance,period.

Dollarwise may be different now,due to the movie hype,but significance of FF 48 will always be more important.

I agree that it is, but given that once upon a time, FF48 was just the latest issue of FF. Why is it so hard for people to accept/understand that in the same way FF48 became significant, that a same era, same rareness level book, could once again become significant PERMANENTLY.

It cant automatically all just be chocked up to so called movie hype and ignored. If you look at Marvel/Disney's plan for the intellectual property, I think one can actually make a very good case for it being a real, on-going, permanent change.

significant is a difficult word to focus on, because something can decrease in popularity/desirability, or something can INCREASE in popularity/desirability, in both cases the significance not changing.

I am saying if FF48 can be a valuable book and people accept that it is, they shouldnt be so confused/dumb-founded that another book from the same time/era/rarity, could also become a valuable book.

People want to dismiss it as movie-hype, but I think they are not really realizing what is happening. Of course the movie, tv-shows, comic book events are driving the interest, demand, and price. But that doesnt mean its just Hype.

To me (and many others) FF48 has much more significance due the changes it made on the Marvel Comic Universe with the Galactus storyline - it did this when it was published and has continued to be significant since then. The Inhumans are only getting popular due to Marvel's current push - and while this increase may be long lasting, it would not have happened if not for the movie announcement and the push from Marvel. So, the rise of both books is very different - one was organic and the other manufactured. Plus the Surfer is just awesome!

With that being said - who wants to sell me a FF48 in 7.0-8.0 :grin: (no serioulsy)

FF48 never needed movie hype to make it popular for collectors

FF45 has only been noticed because of comments that Feige made in the past two years

Let's face it

If Marvel has the rights to xmen or fantastic four movies we would not even care this much for this book

FF48 never needed movie hype to make it popular for collectors

FF45 has only been noticed because of comments that Feige made in the past two years

Let's face it

If Marvel has the rights to xmen or fantastic four movies we would not even care this much for this book

(thumbs u