• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Help me understand why FF 48 is so valuable? ( sarcasm to make a point)

126 posts in this topic

Back to your original question, can FF45 be more valuable than FF48. Sure. We're buying comics in a new paradigm where interest is born not out of the source material, but the secondary movie material.

And that pretty much seals the question. The nature of interest.

Nostalgia has very little to do with the question at hand.

This whole thread does not make much sense.

One thing is popularity, one thing is short-term popularity, and an entirely different thing is something popular which becomes classic.

All of the above should not have anything to do with movies which are thought for a single evening consumption.

But that single evening's consumption is an introduction to a whole new set of characters that most folks outside of comics, and in many cases even people in the hobby, haven't been exposed to before. I'd never read a GOTG comic before the movie, and had no prior introduction to those characters, and I've been reading comics for over 30 years.

Based on this logic, a comic was supposed to be read and thrown away, so why should that single afternoon consumption (of much less time than a movie) lead to a bump in popularity?

Very good post Rock.

Can you imagine how popular SS would be with a GREAT film, or him even being in any of the Marvel world and done right??

Since you mentioned it.... SS is central to the Infinity Gauntlet series

He co-conspires with Warlock to retreave the gauntlet from Thanos

I hope he makes his due appearance ;)

Fox still owns SS movie rights ? :sorry:

If an Inhumans film is as well-received, and brings them as firmly into the broader media consciousness as GOTG, it will be interesting to see what sorts of values are sustained.

In addition to that, and I agree...

They will also be on TV and in movies and used far more prominently in the comics, for several years leading up to the movie.

The Inhumans before movie speculation were an afterthought.

An afterthought of younger people unaware of what has happened before, maybe. They have always been amongst my favorite Kirby/Lee creations, side by side with Warlock, the Black Panther, Silver Surfer, Galactus, the Puppet Master, the Mad Thinker, oh… well, whatever they did in the first ten years of Marvel productions… :cloud9:

But that single evening's consumption is an introduction to a whole new set of characters that most folks outside of comics, and in many cases even people in the hobby, haven't been exposed to before. I'd never read a GOTG comic before the movie, and had no prior introduction to those characters, and I've been reading comics for over 30 years.

Based on this logic, a comic was supposed to be read and thrown away, so why should that single afternoon consumption (of much less time than a movie) lead to a bump in popularity?

Your post is unreal – I can’t even see where to begin to reply.

If one sees the Marvel age as a single comic thought for occasional entertainment – like most people "unlearned in comics" consider these movies, I really have nothing to add because this shows a grave lack of critical (and historical) insight.

I would love to see The Inhumans become cultural mainstays. I find them to be more fun than the Surfer, even Kirby's version, which I prefer to Stan's whiney revision. It can happen, but I join the majority in thinking that it won't.

The Inhumans before movie speculation were an afterthought.

An afterthought of younger people unaware of what has happened before, maybe. They have always been amongst my favorite Kirby/Lee creations, side by side with Warlock, the Black Panther, Silver Surfer, Galactus, the Puppet Master, the Mad Thinker, oh… well, whatever they did in the first ten years of Marvel productions… :cloud9:

and even more recently the Inhumans have played key roles in some of the big marvel events (particularly Secret Invasion) and Black Bolt is a member of the Illuminati in Marvel, again being featured repeatedly thru Joe Qs run of events.

Your post is unreal – I can’t even see where to begin to reply.

If one sees the Marvel age as a single comic thought for occasional entertainment – like most people "unlearned in comics" consider these movies, I really have nothing to add because this shows a grave lack of critical (and historical) insight.

Most media is intended for occasional entertainment. That's simply the fact of the matter. How many comic fans in the early days were unable to obtain every issue of a comic, let alone of individual storylines? I never said I saw the Marvel age as a single comic, and am not sure how you leapt to that conclusion. I simply compared the consumption of a single film storyline to the consumption of a comic, and did not try to morph that one book into an entire age of comics.

On the contrary, your dismissal of movies as a vehicle for new stories that will be classic to many more viewers than would ever have read these comics shows an inability to grasp the shift that is upon us with comics as entertainment that goes beyond art printed on paper.

CBT the first Annihilus FF annual #6 just keeps climbing.

As for Inhumans it all depends on how good the movie is. If it's strongly character driven then that will affect the prices. If it's formula it will be a dud. Inhumans is one storyline that you can't formula like the GOG movie. It will need a special touch as will any Dr Strange movie.

CBT the first Annihilus FF annual #6 just keeps climbing.

I didnt say villains couldnt make a book rise, I said people shouldnt hold on to them after they are defeated/killed. It's actually really annoying that Annihilus is in that book. I had been buying them for absolute dirt cheap almost two years ago for Franklin Richards.

Once the Annihilus specs piled on it shot up, ended my buying. Glad I got the ones I did back then. But given how horrible the FF reboot looks to be, it's probably for the best.

Have you read anything with the Inhumans in it? Kirby's FF is top notch, and their first story arc is a classic, but the Inhumans don't have the depth to sustain a monthly and replace the X-Men.

This thread is comparing them to Silver Surfer, he isnt selling any monthly books either.

In ten or twenty years, we'll still be here, and we'll still like the same books. Feel free to stick around while the prices on your modern "keys" and movie hyped books correct back down so we can use you as an example. (thumbs u

They are 3 months apart and the exact same age. Inhumans arent a movie hyped book. FF45 isnt going anywhere.

Silver Surfer currently has his own monthly book.

The inhumans have always been my favorite grouping of characters from the original FF series. When I collected FF in the early 2000s, FF #45 was always my favorite book and I've owned at least 10 copies over the years.

That being said, there is no question in my mind that FF #48 is the more "important" key to FF and Marvel continuity. The Silver Surfer and Galactus eclipse the Inhumans in importance and are easily more recognizable to the masses.

FF #45 hasn't really seen a steady increase in value over the years, it has exploded in recent months and people that weren't even aware of the book a few years ago are clamoring for it and paying insanely high prices for restored 7.5s. It's hype from the recent movie announcement and I'm not sure it will stay this hot, but I don't expect it to drop to where it was before the hype.

A major problem with FF #48 is that it's relatively easy to find in the higher grades. It's known to be a warehouse find and, if you have the money, 9.4s and 9.6s are pretty easily accessible. If this were not the case, I would guess that this book would be much more valuable across the board. In stark contrast, FF #45 tends to be one of the most difficult FFs to find in high grade from that period of the run and it's always been a little more expensive that other surrounding issues, one reason being how extremely hard to find its been in 9.0 or better.

This. Although I would say even 8.0 or better seems to be tough to come by.

-J.

In stark contrast, FF #45 tends to be one of the most difficult FFs to find in high grade from that period of the run and it's always been a little more expensive that other surrounding issues, one reason being how extremely hard to find its been in 9.0 or better. [/b]

This. Although I would say even 8.0 or better seems to be tough to come by.

-J.

Agreed, this is an extremely hard book to find in high grade... Even the dark cracked background up to the edge makes for a very tough 7, 7.5...

On another note, unlike GoTG which had very compelling stories with the new team (some would argue it was the best marvel was putting out at the time) the Inhumans hasn't had a deeply touching moment for me in comic book history. What Im saying is the source materials have to drive the cinematic milieu I would think. There's certainly hype going on here with a mix of truing the cost of a hard silver key to find in food condition. I just hope they get off that nobility arch and follow the newhumans like inferno. Can't stand the thought of watching the royal family bicker for an hour and a half.

]The cover doesn't help FF #48 in my opinion,[/b] but I think Silver Surfer is firmly entrenched now as a more iconic character than the Inhumans. Maybe I should start a "Why is FF #52 So Valuable" thread. hm

Really?! :o

I love the cover to FF #48! It has such a sense of suspense and drama. The End is Nigh!

I like it as well, especially the tiny figures in the background. Very similar idea to the cover of FF 45.

Yup the inhumans have never had like a really serious crisis nor have their individual characters been much developed.

Silver Surfer currently has his own monthly book.

Yup, on life support, and selling less than "Inhuman", which is about a new inhuman, not even an established one. It was mentioned earlier in the thread.

I actually subscribed to both. But cancelled SS after 1 issue. Getting close to canceling the other as well. Both are poor imo.