• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Help me understand why FF 48 is so valuable? ( sarcasm to make a point)

126 posts in this topic

We don't need a movie sub forum. We need an investor sub forum!

:)

This thread was actually started to mock the other one, but apparently the arguments were more lively here. :whee:

Still better than most of the threads in CG about Bob's cat, and Tony's birthday, etc

We still need to have a Black Panther argument thread, and I suppose Ant-man as well :D

We still need to have a Black Panther argument thread, and I suppose Ant-man as well :D

If Ant-Man attacks Black Panther does he get treated like a flea?

This thread was actually started to mock the other one, but apparently the arguments were more lively here. :whee:

Still better than most of the threads in CG about Bob's cat, and Tony's birthday, etc

and a Groot,Starlord and Rocket Raccoon argument thread. I honestly didn`t care about those characters a year ago, but now those characters are some of my favorites. I think it`s because they haven`t been used much, so they seem like new characters.

Lest we forget, what goes up can come back down again.

As an owner of a high grade slabbed copy of FF #45 not yet ready to sell, it would be great if the comic sustained its suddenly skyrocketing price. It won't necessarily be the case, however. I'm reminded of the price action on Strange Tales #135 - when Nick Fury and Shield became part of the Avengers movie world, the book rocketed in value, and high grade copies were selling for 2.5X what they were fetching a mere few months before. Jump to today: the book is still a little pricier than before the hysteria hit, but its value today is a fraction of the hype-induced peak.

Ok, and look at the difference in Nick Fury and his use, and then look at the plans for the Inhumans across all media.

Ok, lets.

Strange Tales #135 has spawned a main character featuring in the massively successful Avengers movies, and a successful network TV show. FF #45 has spawned.... something likely to happen in the future, whose future popularity is completely unknown.

The price history of ST #135 shows that for books that reach new valuations based on hysteria, prices may not sustain their lofty levels in the future. Nobody knows whether FF #45 will be another example of this, but it's certainly plausible.

@namsigr

I'm heading to an indoor soccer match right now, so I'll try to respond quickly to the ST 135 comments

Marvel's plans across comics, tv, movies are not "likely" they are happening, and the popularity of their shared universe is not unknown, its established.

Nick Fury is a person, and one who is using sparingly in the MCU, as a plot device mostly. Hopefully he gets more usage in the future. I love him, and I dont have a high grade ST135, so I am fine if they want to continue under utilizing him for a while longer.

The inhumans are a species, a means of having unlimited "powered" beings without needing continuous new origin stories, and a way to get around the ban on using mutants.

Marvel has big plans that they have stated openly with regards to the inhumans property, nick fury is just one guy.

If Ant-Man attacks Black Panther does he get treated like a flea?

I think they make ant-collars, like flea collars, jsut with more RAID :D

and a Groot,Starlord and Rocket Raccoon argument thread. I honestly didn`t care about those characters a year ago, but now those characters are some of my favorites. I think it`s because they haven`t been used much, so they seem like new characters.

they are your favorites in the movies or in the comics?

I think demand isn't as high for Nick Fury also because of them using the Ultimate version. The ST 135 book feels less applicable to the movie version.

I'm not sure DEMAND has anything to do with pricing. It's perceived POTENTIAL demand that is driving the market. Sellers are just selling to eachother. For a ton of these books, I imagine there is no actual end buyer. Not at these prices anyway.

I think demand isn't as high for Nick Fury also because of them using the Ultimate version. The ST 135 book feels less applicable to the movie version.

I'm not sure DEMAND has anything to do with pricing. It's perceived POTENTIAL demand that is driving the market. Sellers are just selling to eachother. For a ton of these books, I imagine there is no actual end buyer. Not at these prices anyway.

This is a good point

The only reason I bought several first Annihilus is because I knew it would worth way more eventually. There is no need for me personally to own more than one copy.

Wolverine is dead. Hulk #181 is still desireable and valuable. Punisher has been irrelevant for years. Yet people are still buying ASM #129. (shrug)

Just because FF #48 doesn't carry speculative value at the moment like FF #45 doesn't change the fact that Silver Surfer >>>>> The Inhumans.

:applause:

Imagine if Marvel had the rights to the Surfer....

+1

they are your favorites in the movies or in the comics?

The movie made me seek out their comics. If they had a videogame or animated series I would seek them out because of the movie. The Guardians of the Galaxy movie reinvented these characters. I would have to say GOTG are probably my favorite Marvel characters now. All because of one movie! :o

Iron Man is up there as well because of the movies. Movies can be powerful in changing a perception of a comic book character.

+1

Well then that's just sad. I hope in the end it's the flippers who are left with the hot potato. Buy the book for what it's worth to you. Don't buy it because it might be worth more to other people in a few years.

It's all about supply and demand. If you don't agree with the FF45 prices then don't buy them. FF48 has always been a key book. I think many long time collectors already own this book and aside from maybe an upgrade, don't "need" the book. Then on the other hand there are the books that took off primarily due to MCU, TTA13, FF45, IH271, etc. Many collectors might not own these books, and the population of graded books is low relative to long established keys. So you have collectors who already own FF 1, 5, 48, 52 etc, seeking a FF 45 which is in low supply (graded), driving up the price. They may not necessarily think 45 is any better than 48, but they just happen to need it.

Look at MP4; who the heck would have graded that 2-3 years ago? The high grades went sky high for a short time, but it's not scare book. As time went on the census went up, supply went up, and prices went down. I'm fairly certain the number of FF 45's in high grade won't be coming out of the wood work like MP4 so expect the prices to remain high.