• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Help me understand why FF 48 is so valuable? ( sarcasm to make a point)

126 posts in this topic

When was the last time you saw Black Bolt on a Joe Satriani album cover? Or any album cover? Or t-shirt?
Thanks for the Satriani reference (thumbs u

Yup

When have you ever saw BB with a hot chick?

hqdefault.jpg

Win!!!

At CBT

(1) The Galactus trilogy is consistently regarded as one of the most significant story arcs of the silver age

(2) obviously: 1st surfer & 1st galactus cameo

(3) classic cover

(4) Surfer is such a tragic hero that I believe readers can relate to. He's so much a hero that he is willing to serve as a villain in order to protect his love.

(5) the Surfer is an iconic character

When was the last time you saw Black Bolt on a Joe Satriani album cover? Or any album cover? Or t-shirt?
Thanks for the Satriani reference (thumbs u

Yup

When have you ever saw BB with a hot chick?

hqdefault.jpg

Win!!!

At CBT

(1) The Galactus trilogy is consistently regarded as on of the most significant story arcs of the silver age

(2) obviously: 1st surfer & 1st galactus cameo

(3) classic cover

(4) Surfer is such a tragic hero that I believe readers can relate to. He's so much a hero that he is willing to serve as a villain in order to protect his love.

(5) the Surfer is an iconic character

All good points, and Silver Surfer is more important than the Inhumans by a mile. (thumbs u

What I think CBT is thinking is how Guardians of the Galaxy a year ago was not important, and now they are because of one single movie. :o

So maybe CBT is thinking the same thing will happen with the Inhumans after their movie?

So in conclusion The Silver Surfer is a comic book icon, but load up on those Inhumans keys before the Inhumans movie comes out.

lol

A lot of people go on about FF45, which has spiked in a major way, but has been steadily climbing for years.

imo, I can think of no reason why FF45 shouldnt be more valuable then FF48 at every grade. Other than, "that's how it used to be"/tradition, I'd like to hear a good defense of 48 vs 45.

Are you for real? This has got to be the dumbest question ever!

^^

A lot of people go on about FF45, which has spiked in a major way, but has been steadily climbing for years.

imo, I can think of no reason why FF45 shouldnt be more valuable then FF48 at every grade. Other than, "that's how it used to be"/tradition, I'd like to hear a good defense of 48 vs 45.

Are you for real? This has got to be the dumbest question ever!

It doesn't take much

Hey Ryan,

I know all those things, I knew when I made this thread the reaction it was going to get.

Think of it this way:

1.) Comic fans, the market, and time, made Silver Surfer into what he was. It wasnt automatic, or destiny, it didnt happen the second the book came out. PEOPLE made it that way.

2.) If FF48 can become a significant book(and it did), there is absolutely not reason why FF45 cant become a significant book also.

3.) People accept FF48, because "thats the way it is". But while the process is on going with another book from the same series, and the same time period, they question it, because it didnt used to be that way.

Now beyond that, there is a bit of:

4.) "Silver Surfer aint what he used to be" creeping into the discussion. I am not claiming that, or knocking surfer fans. I merely pointed out, those who like him, arent even buying his series. While at the same time, the Inhumans are going to continue to become more and more significant as Marvel pushes them in comics, and Marvel/Disney builds them up in the movies.

It's too late - if Inhumans are currently more popular-Galactus is already an important Icon of history-nothing will change that.

Beyonce is more popular than george washington but guess who's signature is more valuable?

Times change get used to it.

Have you read anything with the Inhumans in it? Kirby's FF is top notch, and their first story arc is a classic, but the Inhumans don't have the depth to sustain a monthly and replace the X-Men. They're too other-worldly, and people won't relate. At best, it'll be "Luna in the City" with cameos by her uncles and aunts as she goes to college or some such crud. "But mom, I don't wanna marry an Inhuman, I've fallen for this forced token ethnic person!" Do you want to pay for that? Be my guest.

In ten or twenty years, we'll still be here, and we'll still like the same books. Feel free to stick around while the prices on your modern "keys" and movie hyped books correct back down so we can use you as an example. (thumbs u

Have you read anything with the Inhumans in it? Kirby's FF is top notch, and their first story arc is a classic, but the Inhumans don't have the depth to sustain a monthly and replace the X-Men.

This thread is comparing them to Silver Surfer, he isnt selling any monthly books either.

In ten or twenty years, we'll still be here, and we'll still like the same books. Feel free to stick around while the prices on your modern "keys" and movie hyped books correct back down so we can use you as an example. (thumbs u

They are 3 months apart and the exact same age. Inhumans arent a movie hyped book. FF45 isnt going anywhere.

Wolverine is dead. Hulk #181 is still desireable and valuable. Punisher has been irrelevant for years. Yet people are still buying ASM #129. (shrug)

Just because FF #48 doesn't carry speculative value at the moment like FF #45 doesn't change the fact that Silver Surfer >>>>> The Inhumans.

Hawkeye was the flavor of the month a year ago just as The Inhumans are now. I don't see TOS57 overtaking JIM83 anytime soon even though Thor is a woman.

Have you read anything with the Inhumans in it? Kirby's FF is top notch, and their first story arc is a classic, but the Inhumans don't have the depth to sustain a monthly and replace the X-Men.

This thread is comparing them to Silver Surfer, he isnt selling any monthly books either.

They are 3 months apart and the exact same age. Inhumans arent a movie hyped book. FF45 isnt going anywhere.

Do I really have to respond to these, or have we decided that it was really just a bad idea to post the question, and move on with our lives?

I'll answer your thread topic question and follow up :screwy: inquiry with one word:

nostalgia. (thumbs u

Fantastic Four #48/Silver Surfer has built in historical and nostalgic significance. People grew up with the Silver Surfer. He was a hugely popular character at one time.

Fantastic Four #45/The Inhumans are speculation driven.

Maybe in 20 years when this generation has grown up with The Inhumans it will surpass FF48 and Silver Surfer. And maybe NM98 will be more valuable than Hulk181. lol

The cover doesn't help FF #48 in my opinion, but I think Silver Surfer is firmly entrenched now as a more iconic character than the Inhumans. Maybe I should start a "Why is FF #52 So Valuable" thread. hm

Really?! :o

I love the cover to FF #48! It has such a sense of suspense and drama. The End is Nigh!

The cover doesn't help FF #48 in my opinion, but I think Silver Surfer is firmly entrenched now as a more iconic character than the Inhumans. Maybe I should start a "Why is FF #52 So Valuable" thread. hm

Really?! :o

I love the cover to FF #48! It has such a sense of suspense and drama. The End is Nigh!

Yeah, but think how much higher #48 would be if the Surfer was on the cover. Imagine if the cover was the one that eventually ended up on Silver Surfer #1 or #4. :o

Inhumans arent a movie hyped book. FF45 isnt going anywhere.

33y3lz6.gif

2012 GPA High: $405

2014 GPA High: $2,700

2012 GPA High: $200

2014 GPA High: $1,399

2012 GPA High: $92

2014 GPA High: $715

@harvey "isnt going anywhere" refers to falling, not rising. I know what its done.

@illustrious I am also titled the thread to include 52 ;)

---------------------------------------------------------

People are missing the point I am making, but at least a few get it.

A books value is based on supply and demand.

It's that simple. The books were compared because they are the same age, and from the same series. (supply)

If FF48 can become a valuable book (and did long ago), equally so can FF45.

Given the future of the IP(intellectual property), FF45 is going to easily be a match FF48 in terms of desirability (demand).

That's the point, if you dont agree, so be it. But not one person has made a counter argument to it as per my OP question. "That's the way its always been" (48 more than 45), is both captain obvious guy, and not really an answer.

===================

To those who pop up complaining about the price FF45 is fetching, and think its just some movie hyped book like Bane breaking Batman's back. Good luck to you.

Hey Ryan,

I know all those things, I knew when I made this thread the reaction it was going to get.

Think of it this way:

1.) Comic fans, the market, and time, made Silver Surfer into what he was. It wasnt automatic, or destiny, it didnt happen the second the book came out. PEOPLE made it that way.

2.) If FF48 can become a significant book(and it did), there is absolutely not reason why FF45 cant become a significant book also.

3.) People accept FF48, because "thats the way it is". But while the process is on going with another book from the same series, and the same time period, they question it, because it didnt used to be that way.

Now beyond that, there is a bit of:

4.) "Silver Surfer aint what he used to be" creeping into the discussion. I am not claiming that, or knocking surfer fans. I merely pointed out, those who like him, arent even buying his series. While at the same time, the Inhumans are going to continue to become more and more significant as Marvel pushes them in comics, and Marvel/Disney builds them up in the movies.

Points well taken ;)

@harvey "isnt going anywhere" refers to falling, not rising. I know what its done.

I guess I should have edited your quote:

Inhumans arent a movie hyped book. FF45 isnt going anywhere.

I'm not saying it's going to drop off or go back to the prices before movie speculation began. I was just laughing at your comment "The Inhumans aren't a movie hyped book." I would guess that"The Inhumans" in your statement translates to FF #45. To say that FF #45 is a "movie hyped book" is just :screwy: It more than doubled in value almost over night once news broke.

Meanwhile, FF #48 continues being a highly sought after and valuable book, just like the aforementioned examples of ASM #129 despite the lack of popularity of those characters in comics in recent years. There is no movie speculation driving its price. People just want it. Not many people wanted or cared about FF #45 BEFORE :news:

Again, maybe FF #45 will be a more "important" book than FF #48 20, maybe even 10, years from now after Marvel has submarined X-Men and FF to cut off its nose to spite its face. But right now it's almost entirely a movie speculation driven book.

@illustrious I am also titled the thread to include 52 ;)

---------------------------------------------------------

People are missing the point I am making, but at least a few get it.

A books value is based on supply and demand.

I believe you are correct, in that no one knows what the future holds.

Perhaps Inhumans will capture the imagination of the general public, and will become hugely popular, forever making FF #45 the more valuable/sought after book. Perhaps the movie will just do ok, and the Inhumans never make it past B-level status.

But the original question :

Why FF45 shouldnt be more valuable then FF48 at every grade

Is referring to the here and now, not the future.

It shouldn't be more valuable today, because the Inhumans haven't earned the interest from the fanbase, that Silver Surfer or Galactus have, as of today. I also think it's important to note that their interest was generated organically, over decades of good stories, and not due to them being featured in a movie.

The next five years, could turn the tables. Guess we will find out. hm

I'm not saying it's going to drop off or go back to the prices before movie speculation began. I was just laughing at your comment "The Inhumans aren't a movie hyped book." I would guess that"The Inhumans" in your statement translates to FF #45. To say that FF #45 is a "movie hyped book" is just :screwy: It more than doubled in value almost over night once news broke.

To understand my point, we would have to agree on a definition of "movie-hyped" book. FF45 has been climbing strongly for several years, like all of the books related to stuff that was due to enter the MCU.

I am not disputing its rise in value over the last 3 years, but movie-hyped book implies its price is unjustified, and will disappear after the movie. Ultron (for example) is a movie-hyped book, Inhumans, are not. That's my opinion, and its not :screwy:

Again, maybe FF #45 will be a more "important" book than FF #48 20, maybe even 10, years from now after Marvel has submarined X-Men and FF to cut off its nose to spite its face. But right now it's almost entirely a movie speculation driven book.

FF45 was always an important book, FF48 has just historically been a more important book. I am saying you arent going to have to wait 10-20 years to watch history change. It's unfolding now and over the next 4-5 years.

The point I was trying to drive home really, is that IF FF48 can be a valuable book (which it is), why is it so hard for people to accept that FF45 can become one as well. Surfing was cool in the 60s and 70s, apparently terrigen'ing is cool in Twenty-Teens.

:)