• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Captain America: Civil War official movie thread (5/6/16)

2,267 posts in this topic

haven't been this stoked to see a superhero movie since TDK. the Metacritic score has actually increased since the initial salvo. i'm outta this thread, don't want the viewing experienced spoiled by knowing ever detail of what's to come.

I will also add that right off the bat (no pun intended) comparisons will be made with both movies. They are completely different and their purpose is completely different. It's going to be unfair to compare them as one has 10+ films built into their storyline vs 1

you are right about this. there will be comparisons, and it will be unfair.

With that being said....DC KNEW Civil War was coming...DC knows they are ALWAYS compared to Marvel in everything they do. THEY KNEW the comparisons would come, fair or not. And there is no requirement or assumption of fairness in the game. And THEY SHOULD HAVE KNOWN that with that director and that -script, they simply could not get a GREAT 2.5 hour movie that DESPERATELY NEEDS TO BE A WORLD-BUILDING SUPERHIT, and these are very smart people who get paid millions of dollars to KNOW EXACTLY THAT ONE THING.

Even if we gave DC the benefit of the doubt, letting them play from the ladies tee, they still hit it a bit too hard, and knocked it into the rough past the hole (its a Par 3) with a bit of slice, by trying to do too much. Especially after MOS was more or less a bogey. BvS was probably ultimately a par, but it was an easy hole and they really expected and needed a birdie. And its not Marvel's fault that GL was pure POS (triple bogey+mulligan?).

DC KNEW that they were trying something in their second movie that Marvel was trying in their 13th movie, and that they would be directly compared, and they did it anyways. Some might call it brave. Some might call it something else...

Just think of it as Marvel is on the Back 9, and DC just finished its 2nd hole.

Iron Man (Double birdie)

Hulk (bogey)

Iron Man 2 (Par)

Thor (Par)

Cap 1 (Birdie)

Avengers (Double Birdie)

Iron Man 3 (Par)

Thor 2 (Bogey IMO, but it was a tough Par 5)

Cap 2 (Double birdie or hole-in-one on a Par 4)

GOTG (Double Birdie on a Par 5)

Avengers 2 (Par, should have been an easy birdie though)

Ant-Man (Par)

MOS (bogey)

BVS (Par, but should have been an easy birdie with a possible Hole in One)

I don't even like golf, but I loved this.

Rotten Tomatoes is up to 31 critic reviews; 30 of which are fresh with 1 rotten.

97% on the tomatometer :o

Oscar Winner Best Picture, Director, Actor :wishluck:

Not happening...Falcon and War Machine are in this...

Really liked Winter Soldier because it felt at times more like a spy movie then the typical Marvel one (which at this point is kinda see 1 seen em all). I'm sure this one is going to be great entertainment but hope they took some chances as opposed to the typical formula.

With that being said....DC KNEW Civil War was coming...DC knows they are ALWAYS compared to Marvel in everything they do. THEY KNEW the comparisons would come, fair or not. And there is no requirement or assumption of fairness in the game. And THEY SHOULD HAVE KNOWN that with that director and that -script, they simply could not get a GREAT 2.5 hour movie that DESPERATELY NEEDS TO BE A WORLD-BUILDING SUPERHIT, and these are very smart people who get paid millions of dollars to KNOW EXACTLY THAT ONE THING.

Even if we gave DC the benefit of the doubt, letting them play from the ladies tee, they still hit it a bit too hard, and knocked it into the rough past the hole (its a Par 3) with a bit of slice, by trying to do too much. Especially after MOS was more or less a bogey. BvS was probably ultimately a par, but it was an easy hole and they really expected and needed a birdie. And its not Marvel's fault that GL was pure POS (triple bogey+mulligan?).

DC KNEW that they were trying something in their second movie that Marvel was trying in their 13th movie, and that they would be directly compared, and they did it anyways. Some might call it brave. Some might call it something else...

Iron Man (Eagle)

Hulk (bogey)

Iron Man 2 (Par)

Thor (Par)

Cap 1 (Birdie)

Avengers (Eagle)

Iron Man 3 (Par)

Cap 2 (Eagle or hole-in-one on a Par 4:Albatross)

GOTG (Eagle on a Par 5)

Ant-Man (Par)

MOS (bogey)

Fixed this for ya...

I will also add that right off the bat (no pun intended) comparisons will be made with both movies. They are completely different and their purpose is completely different. It's going to be unfair to compare them as one has 10+ films built into their storyline vs 1

Iron Man (Double birdie)

Hulk (bogey)

Iron Man 2 (Par)

Thor (Par)

Cap 1 (Birdie)

Avengers (Double Birdie)

Iron Man 3 (Par)

Ant-Man (Par)

MOS (bogey)

I love the golf analogies and I would only say Antman deserved a squeak in the side door birdie after a tough par 4. They made Antman a lovable key marvel super-hero which I'm sure a lot of people thought impossible.

Iron Man (Double birdie)

Hulk (bogey)

Iron Man 2 (Par)

Thor (Par)

Cap 1 (Birdie)

Avengers (Double Birdie)

Iron Man 3 (Par)

Ant-Man (Par)

MOS (bogey)

BvS was an Albatross

and

MOS was a Hole-in-One.

Iron Man (Eagle)

Hulk (bogey)

Iron Man 2 (Par)

Thor (Par)

Cap 1 (Birdie)

Avengers (Eagle)

Iron Man 3 (Par)

Cap 2 (Eagle or hole-in-one on a Par 4:Albatross)

GOTG (Eagle on a Par 5)

Ant-Man (Par)

MOS (bogey)

Fixed this for ya...

Haha I noticed that later. But was too lazy to change it.

When we play, we actually refer to eagles as 'double-doubles' as in 'double birdie' and as in-and-out burger (which is the reward if anyone ever hits one). I can't remember the last time I called it an eagle. But just to be clear, we never actually get eagles or 'double-birdies', but there's a lot of "OOOHH, dam that was almost a double double!! Next time!" (note that there is no next time.)

Just listened to this week's Fatman on Batman. It was mostly about Civil War. Mark Bernardin went to the premiere and said it's nothing short of amazing. It's spoiler free if anyone wants to listen to it.

AVENGERS IMPACT: A WHIH Newsfront Special Report.

The Avengers have saved our world… but at what cost? WHIH Newsfront returns with a special report. Join Christine Everhart and political correspondent Will Adams as they investigate “The World the Hero Leaves Behind.”