• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Captain America: Civil War official movie thread (5/6/16)

2,267 posts in this topic

What a ride!

That's how you do fight scenes! Warner Bros, are you watching?

I thought the fight scenes in BVS were pretty great :shrug:

I think he was talking to the WB people who made Green Lantern :gossip:

I prefer my action with real stunt men and women with clever, creative direction rather than CGI and explosions. Different strokes.

Saw this last night.

Straight off the bat, whereas AoU was just bad and Batman v Superman was bad with some slight caveats....

This is a GOOD film.

Phew.

Ok, with with slight caveats....

The good:

Spider-Man is just 100% awesome - this is spidey from the comics, in fact I liked this spidey better than the last three films combined, and he's only really in it for about 15 minutes.

Black Panther is spot on - no messing about, a great addition to the MCU.

Antman also great, 'hugely' great!

Storyline made sense, personal stories about conflict combined with good action.

RDJ and CE as ironman and cap were much better than in AoU.

Some bad:

Hawkeye - enough already, stay retired, plus for a guy who never 'misses' he actually missed more than he hits

Vision - wasted I felt, not that the vision himself was bad, but he was a bit underused, I would've combined all of Hawkeyes and Falcons parts and given Vision and Spidey more time.

Still a v long film... I went with a friend n his two kids, both boys one 8 and one 10, and it was 20 minutes too long for them.

I saw it in IMAX 3D, but I don't think you'd miss anything if you just go normal 2D.

Oh stay for the very end credit scene, it's actually worth it this time

So if the Civil War budget was what brought Marvel Studios leadership to a head, I wonder how high they went?

Captain America: Civil War Budget Was Tipping Point For Marvel Leadership Changes

According to THR, the original source of the news of Marvel Studios’ leadership shuffle, the turning point for Disney may have been over budget issues with Captain America: Civil War. Perlmutter is well-known for being super-tight with spending; he’s not a movie person so much as he’s a smart business one, which conflicted with what Feige has been attempting to do on the film side of Marvel.

Right or wrong, that just didn’t work for the Civil War production – which has spent quite a lot to bring Robert Downey Jr. back into the fold (along with most of the core Avengers cast), while also introducing two new franchise leads in Black Panther (Chadwick Boseman) and Spider-Man (Tom Holland). This third Captain America film is the launch pad for Phase 3 of the Marvel Cinematic Universe after all.

98K0365.png

I would think the payout for the actors would either equal or exceed AoU. Though since Chris Evans is one of the key characters, this would be much higher.

What Marvel Paid Each Major Avenger For Age Of Ultron

Robert Downey Jr. - $40 million

Scarlett Johansson - $20 million

Chris Evans - $6.9 million

Jeremy Renner - $6.1 million

Chris Hemsworth - $5.4 million

Mark Ruffalo - $2.8 million

I would think the payout for the actors would either equal or exceed AoU. Though since Chris Evans is one of the key characters, this would be much higher.

I know next to nothing about how actor's salries are negotiated but i'm shocked at Evans salary compared to Downey and Johansson, esp after Winter Soldier.

I think the difference in pay is proven headliners vs. "headliners in Marvel movies."

RDJ's an Oscar-nominated actor who's been around for decades, to say nothing of his having negotiated back-end points for Iron Man since the very beginning (purportedly the only Marvel actor to have gotten this deal).

Scarlett Johannson, meanwhile, proved she could anchor an action movie on her own in Lucy, for which she was paid $17 million.

Hemsworth is hurting in non-Thor roles, as his last few non-Marvel movies (Huntsman: Winter's War, In the Heart of the Sea, Vacation, Black Hat, Red Dawn & Rush) all tanked.

And Evans hasn't done a lot of high-profile non-Cap work recently, but two of his notable films (Snowpiercer & Scott Pilgrim) also tanked.

Compare them to say...Chris Pratt, who has proven he's a superstar even without Guardians of the Galaxy, with the Lego movie, Jurassic World franchise & even his $20 million paycheck for the forthcoming Passengers.

Like RDJ & Scarlett Johannson, Pratt has far more leverage because of his non-Marvel track record than the others & so can demand a far higher salary.

Four negative reviews were added since last night. Just toss this one out immediately. It's not a negative review of the film at all. It's a person who despises comic books and their films.

http://www.spectator.co.uk/2016/04/i-swear-this-is-the-last-marvel-film-i-see-captain-america-reviewed/

I did not know lobotomies were still performed. However, despite this abhorrent act it is heartening to know she is still able to string coherent sentances together.

I'm amazed how much Scarjo is making. I won't go into the ridiculousness that is RDJ

I'm amazed how much Scarjo is making. I won't go into the ridiculousness that is RDJ

And that was a low figure compared to the $50 MM he made in Avengers, as he received 5% to 7% of the box office gross.

Robert Downey Jr. to Earn $50 Million from ‘The Avengers’

So you know he is going to be $40 MM (+) for this movie.

Captain America: Civil War Pulls In $84 Million Internationally In First 3 Days

Captain America: Civil War has started off strong internationally, pulling in $84 million in just 3 days.

The film has thus far opened in 38 territories and according to Variety has come in 1st place in each and every one of them. As of now it is on pace for a similar opening internationally as Avengers: Age of Ultron, which collected $212 million after a five-day run. In the U.K however, the film opened up to $7 million on day one, 33% ahead of Ultron. If that type of pattern persists, it could ultimately beat Ultron's $946 million international total.

Was it ever formally announced who Alfe Woodard was playing in this?

Looks like she was casted as...

Miriam Sharpe from the comic storyline. Apparently she had a son in Sokovia as opposed to Stamford.

Civil War has officially passed $200.2 million overseas at the box office for opening weekend. That leaves Civil War 1 million behind Age of Ultron's $201.2 opening.

http://www.boxofficemojo.com/movies/?page=main&id=marvel2016.htm

This doesn't include the following countries:

Algeria 2 May 2016

Egypt 4 May 2016

Italy 4 May 2016

Kuwait 4 May 2016

Argentina 5 May 2016

Azerbaijan 5 May 2016

Bosnia and Herzegovina 5 May 2016

Belarus 5 May 2016

Czech Republic 5 May 2016

Greece 5 May 2016

Croatia 5 May 2016

Hungary 5 May 2016

Kazakhstan 5 May 2016

Republic of Macedonia 5 May 2016

Malaysia 5 May 2016

New Zealand 5 May 2016

Serbia 5 May 2016

Russia 5 May 2016

Slovenia 5 May 2016

Slovakia 5 May 2016

Ukraine 5 May 2016

Bangladesh 6 May 2016

Canada 6 May 2016

China 6 May 2016

India 6 May 2016

Sri Lanka 6 May 2016 (Colombo)

Lithuania 6 May 2016

Mongolia 6 May 2016

Pakistan 6 May 2016

Poland 6 May 2016

Romania 6 May 2016

Turkey 6 May 2016

USA 6 May 2016

Got that right! Although the budget is still a mystery for even the box office reporting sites, the movie is already taking off.

O0SWD9K.png

8nliMSL.png

They must have saved a lot on CGI by leaving Hulk out of the film, but I still think production costs are in the $220 - $250 million range though.