• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Captain America: Civil War official movie thread (5/6/16)

2,267 posts in this topic

They must have saved a lot on CGI by leaving Hulk out of the film, but I still think production costs are in the $220 - $250 million range though.

Right now that $200 MM budget figure is a low guesstimate. For something to shake up the leadership of a studio, I have a feeling that figure is going to probably match AoU.

Captain America: Civil War Viral Image Asks Where Is The Hulk?

tU1EZRS.png

Someone needs to pay up for what happened to Sokovia.

Will it be the Avengers?

Or how about the Hulk?

A new viral image from WHIH News questions what happened to the Hulk following the Battle of Sokovia as seen in The Avengers: Age Of Ultron.

:ohnoez:

Saw it last night and absolutely loved it. Definitely in my top 2 MCU movies.

Have to see it again to see if I like it better than Winter Soldier..

Some thoughts tho:

- This movie probably had the best actions sequences ive seen on film. Absolutely spectacular.

-Introduction of the new characters was very well done. Even with the amount of characters in this movie, it didn't feel overstuffed at all.

-Absolutely loved the new Spidey and the way he was brought in. Although.. it would've felt just as natural to introduce Miles Morales.

Biggest gripe for me was the movie lacked a payoff. They should've at least killed a character off

(maybe Cheadle or Renner coz they both looked old AF in this movie) to really highlight the consequences of their actions

Captain America: Civil War Viral Image Asks Where Is The Hulk?

tU1EZRS.png

Someone needs to pay up for what happened to Sokovia.

Will it be the Avengers?

Or how about the Hulk?

A new viral image from WHIH News questions what happened to the Hulk following the Battle of Sokovia as seen in The Avengers: Age Of Ultron.

:ohnoez:

Hulk is fast tracked to a stand alone..... and they want us hungry. GOD BLESS...

-jimbo(a friend of jesus) (thumbs u

Hulk stand-alone is still not going to happen unless Disney gets the distribution rights for it back from Paramount (or is it Universal? I can't remember). Until they can get ALL of the box office instead of splitting it with another company, they will make any movie that with 100% of the box office take will make more than a 50 or 60 or 70% box office take that a Hulk solo movie will make (which is just about any movie that Marvel Studios can come up with. A solo Squirrel Girl movie would probably be a bigger profit margin for them)

Hulk stand-alone is still not going to happen unless Disney gets the distribution rights for it back from Paramount (or is it Universal? I can't remember). Until they can get ALL of the box office instead of splitting it with another company, they will make any movie that with 100% of the box office take will make more than a 50 or 60 or 70% box office take that a Hulk solo movie will make (which is just about any movie that Marvel Studios can come up with. A solo Squirrel Girl movie would probably be a bigger profit margin for them)

How do they get the distribution rights back?

Already breaking the $200M mark without even opening in the US or China yet.

Already broke $202M in the opening weekend in just foreign markets

Yup. One page back we were discussing the budget, which is still not known yet.

Got that right! Although the budget is still a mystery for even the box office reporting sites, the movie is already taking off.

O0SWD9K.png

8nliMSL.png

Unknown. I don't know if there's an expiration date on them in the contract. Basically, expiration or buyout. And since Hulk movies haven't historically been exactly world-beaters, I doubt Disney spends the money for the buyout, which leaves expiration.

Unknown. I don't know if there's an expiration date on them in the contract. Basically, expiration or buyout. And since Hulk movies haven't historically been exactly world-beaters, I doubt Disney spends the money for the buyout, which leaves expiration.

This article claims that the rights extend indefinitely, and that Paramount used to own the distribution rights to Iron Man, Captain America, and Thor, also. That suggests Disney isn't waiting on Hulk due to distribution rights, it's the profitability of the film they're concerned about. I checked the movie poster for "First Avenger" and "Thor" and Paramount's name is indeed on there. But I don't see it on the poster for "Winter Soldier" or "Civil War" or "Dark World" so how'd they get the rights back?

http://www.forbes.com/sites/markhughes/2015/06/19/details-of-marvels-hulk-film-rights-fans-can-relax-about-sequel/#7c0052646ff6

Saw it yesterday and absolutely loved it - if you liked Winter Soldier you should like this.

Watching this made me want to see a Black Panther movie, a Spidey movie, another Ant-Man movie, more of Wanda and the Vision. - and find out what is next for all the other characters.

This article claims that the rights extend indefinitely, and that Paramount used to own the distribution rights to Iron Man, Captain America, and Thor, also. That suggests Disney isn't waiting on Hulk due to distribution rights, it's the profitability of the film they're concerned about. I checked the movie poster for "First Avenger" and "Thor" and Paramount's name is indeed on there. But I don't see it on the poster for "Winter Soldier" or "Civil War" or "Dark World" so how'd they get the rights back?

http://www.forbes.com/sites/markhughes/2015/06/19/details-of-marvels-hulk-film-rights-fans-can-relax-about-sequel/#7c0052646ff6

Marvel had a distribution deal with Paramount prior to selling themselves to Disney. It lasted up thru Avengers. However, Disney bought back the distribution rights to Avengers as well as the old distribution rights to the previously released movies just before Avengers came out (mostly so they could get the max cash for TV distribution sales in the future. This was BEFORE the Marvel brand had a billion dollar movie to their name and was essentially a license to print money. Thor & CA: First Avenger only did pretty good & were viewed as successes for what they were, rather than just plain successes)

Basically, they bought the distribution rights on the old movies back just before the brand value skyrocketed (it was relatively high already but not Marvel "post-Avengers" high)

However, the Universal deal with Hulk apparently is indefinite. So unless Disney/Marvel comes up with a reason to buy back the Hulk rights or a movie that will make so much money that 60 or 70% or whatever they get of the split with Universal makes more money than literally ANY other movie they could make with the same investment, they won't bother.

Marvel had a distribution deal with Paramount prior to selling themselves to Disney. It lasted up thru Avengers. However, Disney bought back the distribution rights to Avengers as well as the old distribution rights to the previously released movies just before Avengers came out (mostly so they could get the max cash for TV distribution sales in the future. This was BEFORE the Marvel brand had a billion dollar movie to their name and was essentially a license to print money. Thor & CA: First Avenger only did pretty good & were viewed as successes for what they were, rather than just plain successes)

Basically, they bought the distribution rights on the old movies back just before the brand value skyrocketed (it was relatively high already but not Marvel "post-Avengers" high)

However, the Universal deal with Hulk apparently is indefinite. So unless Disney/Marvel comes up with a reason to buy back the Hulk rights or a movie that will make so much money that 60 or 70% or whatever they get of the split with Universal makes more money than literally ANY other movie they could make with the same investment, they won't bother.

They must be splitting profits with Sony on the Spidey deal, so I don't see why that would stop them. They already have a lot on their plate right now, but Disney will definitely want to try cashing in on a solo Hulk film at some point.

Apparently Universal only has distribution rights if they use Hulk in the title. They could call it Agents of Smash without having to share any profit with Universal.

I also read that the rights only revert back to Marvel if Disney does make a Hulk film & Universal decides not to distribute it.

They should just try to buy the rights back if/when they're ready to start a Hulk solo series.

They must be splitting profits with Sony on the Spidey deal, so I don't see why that would stop them.

They have no choice with Sony because Sony owns not just the distribution rights, they own the production rights. Sony makes a Spider-Man film whenever they feel like it.

They must be splitting profits with Sony on the Spidey deal, so I don't see why that would stop them. They already have a lot on their plate right now, but Disney will definitely want to try cashing in on a solo Hulk film at some point.

Apparently Universal only has distribution rights if they use Hulk in the title. They could call it Agents of Smash without having to share any profit with Universal.

I also read that the rights only revert back to Marvel if Disney does make a Hulk film & Universal decides not to distribute it.

They should just try to buy the rights back if/when they're ready to start a Hulk solo series.

Based on the box office results from Hulk (not Marvel produced) and Incredible Hulk (Marvel Studios produced), I doubt that Disney sees the $$ that make it worth-while for them to buy back the distribution rights.

As for the comparison to Spidey? That's a false equivalency. Spidey is the biggest merchandising character on the planet. Hulk is probably somewhere closer to a mid-carder. Even 50% split of the box office with Sony on a good spidey movie is better than 100% of a Hulk movie after subtracting distribution buyback amount. And likely orders of magnitude more than whatever they'd make with the existing Hulk distribution agreement. And it wouldn't shock me if virtually every movie they would make short of a Paste Pot Pete solo movie would make a better ROI than a Hulk movie under the existing distribution deal.

Had Incredible Hulk been a box office smash on the same level as Iron Man, there's a distinct possibility that Disney buys back the distribution rights. It didn't.

So Disney has a few options at the moment:

1) Buy back the rights & hope that a 2nd Marvel Studios produced Hulk movie makes the buy-back cost worthwhile (they currently have zero reason to believe it will);

2) Make a movie & hope that it builds Hulk up enough as a solo draw that it would make a buyback worthwhile (thus making the buy-back price higher, also they have zero reason to think this would work either);

3) Make a hulk movie under the existing agreement & hope it makes the same amount or better (after the split in revenue with Universal) than any other of their 5,000 properties they could make a movie out of (probably not gonna happen until you get down to the D-Man Adventure movie);

or 4) Don't make a Hulk movie & mine the rest of their library until the law of diminishing returns kicks in 5,000 times or they entirely run out of ideas

They're going with option 4. I don't blame them.

Plus they can have Hulk show up in whatever movie they want and people can pay to get their character fix that way. Why would Disney change that at all given the profitability of the character right now?

They wouldn't.

Plus they can have Hulk show up in whatever movie they want and people can pay to get their character fix that way. Why would Disney change that at all given the profitability of the character right now?

They wouldn't.

Agreed. I feel like The Hulk mostly works as a supporting character rather than as the lead in a feature-length film.

Better to have him in reserve & bring him out as an audience teaser a la Avengers.

The exception, being if they did totally something totally different like Planet Hulk and/or World War Hulk -- that I could see as a compelling movie or two.

The exception, being if they did totally something totally different like Planet Hulk and/or World War Hulk -- that I could see as a compelling movie or two.

That's exactly what I'd expect if they got the rights back to Hulk. Not another origin story. They could always give the title a twist & make a Hulk movie called Gamma Planet. Then they would have full distribution rights.