• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Captain America: Civil War official movie thread (5/6/16)

2,267 posts in this topic

How do Europeans get to watch Captain America before us Yanks?

Seems like they get all movies before us. I'm in favor of fixing this with military action. :mad:

It wasn't always this way. We used to have to wait 3, 4 even 6 months after NA to get movies. I guess the internet changed things in the last decade. Still i would rather they came out everywhere at the same time. Not fair with all the spoilers.

How do Europeans get to watch Captain America before us Yanks?

Seems like they get all movies before us. I'm in favor of fixing this with military action. :mad:

It's really the only solution that makes sense.

My almost spoiler free review!

This is going to be long because there is a lot to say about this movie, so please bear with me.

This is a BIG movie and it is a credit to the Russo brothers that they are able to give enough screen time for each character to shine and have their own moment for the most part, including the introduction of TWO(!) new characters.

Iron Man/Tony Stark. I mean what needs to be said at this point. RDjr just kills it as Tony Stark, as always. Great one liners, fun delivery, but at the same time you feel the weight of the previous movies on his character. AoU and Iron Man 3 are weighing on him. He sees himself as a flawed person and that he has made mistakes. It's not a shock/surprise that he joins the government in wanting to clean up superheroing.

Captain America/Steve Rogers. Overall I loved Chris Evens, which is not something I thought I would ever be saying. He plays Cap wonderfully, still some levity in the role even though it is kinda dark (I love that the Russo Brothers have basically played both of their Cap movies as Spy thrillers, Cap fits that role perfectly) My only issue is a tiny spoiler, so please don't read it until after you have seen the movie.

I didn't like Caps anti-signing reasoning. Mostly because they Women in Regrigeratored Peggy Carter. Basically they killed her so that there was a reason for Sharon Carter to stand up and basically tell him to fight the act etc. Felt it was lazy storytelling and that especially Cap, a man who literally fought Nazi's should not need that reinforcement to stand his ground. It could have been done in better ways. However, I know Peggy was like 90+ years old and had Alzheimer's so it wasn't like CRAZY that she died, but still... didn't like it.

Sam Wilson/Falcon. Love him. Great comedic relief, awesome fighter, just fantastic. I want a Falcon stand alone film.

Ant-Man/Scott Lang. Stole the film. I SOOO want to say more about him but I promised I wouldn't.

Black Widow/Natasha. She was kinda lost in the shuffle unfortunately. Would have liked to have more of her story in there just because she was so central to the last Captain America film.

Scarlet Witch/Wanda Great job by Elizabeth Olsen. Really interesting character development from AoU, wish they would have touched on the loss of her brother though.

Spider-Man/Peter Parker. WOW. Just Wow. The Theater lost their collective mind when he was introduced. All I will say is that they read the comics and got him. 100% THAT was Spider-man. A kid who is got these powers, knows he has to use them to help others, and is having fun doing it. So many great quips and one liners. Also Hot Aunt May :cloud9:

Black Panther/T'Challa. Great actor but felt the role was not developed enough. Would have liked more time on his character. But he looked awesome and held his own with the other heros. I think this was a missed opportunity.

Rhody/War Machine. Did a really good job overall. Don't want to say too much.

Vision. God I love Dad Vision. Really interesting where they are going with this character.

Overall, the movie was a little long. I felt it needed to be cut down about 15 or 20 minutes. Lots of talking but also lots of action. The airport scene though is one of the best scenes to be put to cinema. I am planning on going to see it again just for that scene. If the movie is on cable, and I know that scene is coming, I am stopping to watch it. It is fantastic. I'd give it an 8.5 out of 10.

:applause:

Great review!

I very much look forward to seeing Ant-Man, Black Panther and Vision in this. But I do have to say Chris Evans as Steve Rogers has been a done deal for me since the ending of The First Avenger.

You could just see it in his face this was a man out of his own time. But it also had that spy feeling to it the way S.H.I.E.L.D. attempted to ease him into modern times. And he still figured it out immediately.

Gotta agree with both of you. I never really thought of him as much of an actor and wasn't thrilled when he was announced as Cap way back when. But he's absolutely perfect for the role.

The movie was incredible. T'Challa was really impressive. Loved every minute. Giant man scenes were incredible and realistic-yes a person that huge would move slowly! Comparing this to Batman Stuporman no contest. Marvel knocks it out of the park. Yes the Spider Man was perfect-this is the Spider Man from the comics. Avengers do need Kav as a PR agent though-I would have countered the criticism with 'would you rather we let them have the virus and start a worldwide plague? Because we can do that in the future if you want'.

The movie was incredible. T'Challa was really impressive. Loved every minute. Giant man scenes were incredible and realistic-yes a person that huge would move slowly! Comparing this to Batman Stuporman no contest. Marvel knocks it out of the park. Yes the Spider Man was perfect-this is the Spider Man from the comics. Avengers do need Kav as a PR agent though-I would have countered the criticism with 'would you rather we let them have the virus and start a worldwide plague? Because we can do that in the future if you want'.

I think it's safe to say Giant-Man's involvement was meant to remain a spoiler. :(

My almost spoiler free review!

This is going to be long because there is a lot to say about this movie, so please bear with me.

This is a BIG movie and it is a credit to the Russo brothers that they are able to give enough screen time for each character to shine and have their own moment for the most part, including the introduction of TWO(!) new characters.

Iron Man/Tony Stark. I mean what needs to be said at this point. RDjr just kills it as Tony Stark, as always. Great one liners, fun delivery, but at the same time you feel the weight of the previous movies on his character. AoU and Iron Man 3 are weighing on him. He sees himself as a flawed person and that he has made mistakes. It's not a shock/surprise that he joins the government in wanting to clean up superheroing.

Captain America/Steve Rogers. Overall I loved Chris Evens, which is not something I thought I would ever be saying. He plays Cap wonderfully, still some levity in the role even though it is kinda dark (I love that the Russo Brothers have basically played both of their Cap movies as Spy thrillers, Cap fits that role perfectly) My only issue is a tiny spoiler, so please don't read it until after you have seen the movie.

I didn't like Caps anti-signing reasoning. Mostly because they Women in Regrigeratored Peggy Carter. Basically they killed her so that there was a reason for Sharon Carter to stand up and basically tell him to fight the act etc. Felt it was lazy storytelling and that especially Cap, a man who literally fought Nazi's should not need that reinforcement to stand his ground. It could have been done in better ways. However, I know Peggy was like 90+ years old and had Alzheimer's so it wasn't like CRAZY that she died, but still... didn't like it.

Sam Wilson/Falcon. Love him. Great comedic relief, awesome fighter, just fantastic. I want a Falcon stand alone film.

Ant-Man/Scott Lang. Stole the film. I SOOO want to say more about him but I promised I wouldn't.

Black Widow/Natasha. She was kinda lost in the shuffle unfortunately. Would have liked to have more of her story in there just because she was so central to the last Captain America film.

Scarlet Witch/Wanda Great job by Elizabeth Olsen. Really interesting character development from AoU, wish they would have touched on the loss of her brother though.

Spider-Man/Peter Parker. WOW. Just Wow. The Theater lost their collective mind when he was introduced. All I will say is that they read the comics and got him. 100% THAT was Spider-man. A kid who is got these powers, knows he has to use them to help others, and is having fun doing it. So many great quips and one liners. Also Hot Aunt May :cloud9:

Black Panther/T'Challa. Great actor but felt the role was not developed enough. Would have liked more time on his character. But he looked awesome and held his own with the other heros. I think this was a missed opportunity.

Rhody/War Machine. Did a really good job overall. Don't want to say too much.

Vision. God I love Dad Vision. Really interesting where they are going with this character.

Overall, the movie was a little long. I felt it needed to be cut down about 15 or 20 minutes. Lots of talking but also lots of action. The airport scene though is one of the best scenes to be put to cinema. I am planning on going to see it again just for that scene. If the movie is on cable, and I know that scene is coming, I am stopping to watch it. It is fantastic. I'd give it an 8.5 out of 10.

What about Bucky?

Gosh, now at 93% on RT, 115 fresh out of 123 critic reviews.

77 metascore on Metacritic with 20 out of 25 positive, 5 mixed.

I can't wait for Friday ! :cloud9:

Now it's (still) 93% on RT, 153 fresh out of 165 critic reviews!

Wow. I may just have to go Thurs night.

I think it's safe to say Giant-Man's involvement was meant to remain a spoiler. :(

sorry i edited post w/spoilers

now pls put your quote of me in spoilers!!!!!!

dang I thought the whole thread was spoilers-sorry guys.

I didnt go to this thread until after I saw movie figgered everyone was doing same.

Saw it Tuesday, and seeing again tonight. Apparently no one is letting me pay to see this movie.

Loved it. I really can't think of any way it could improve.

I found Spidey annoying, but it really worked. He was a good kind of annoying (if there is such a thing) Perfect casting for a young Peter, and I loved Tony's line about Aunt May. My girlfriend and I were literally just talking about that before the movie started.

Ant-man definitely steals the show. It's impossible not to like Paul Rudd. It's true.

I'm falling in love with the idea of Elizabeth Olsen being the witch.

Black Panther is perfect. The costume, the guy playing him, just perfect.

Cap was great. I can't picture anyone else ever playing this character.

I think someone earlier mentioned there not being a major death in this movie? There definitely was one. I'm a big fan of the character, and it was a very sad moment even with it happening off screen.

One thing I noticed throughout the movie was a lack of code names being used. I could be wrong, but I don't recall hearing anyone say "The Falcon" or "The Black Panther" or "The Scarlet Witch" etc etc etc. I'm pretty sure their first names were used pretty much the whole time. It makes no real difference to me, just thought it was interesting.

Overall, I'd say it's the best Marvel movie to date, and just a nudge ahead of the 2nd Cap/Avengers.

"About the same meeting Joss Whedon even mentioned who we were meeting about, he said, ‘There’s this character Scarlet Witch that I’m interested in for you to play,’ and then he said, ‘When you go home and Google her, just know you will never ever have to wear what she wears in the comics.' Because I did ballet growing up - but that’s not a confident look."