• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Captain America: Civil War official movie thread (5/6/16)

2,267 posts in this topic

Are you going to give a reason? What have you heard to corroborate that? Is there something in the numbers saying it isn't doing well? Outside of you not liking the movie, what marks some end? Just cause Hector decrees it, it doesn't mean some magical end is in sight.

I don't think it has anything to do with superhero movie fatigue. The general audience gets it these films are an alternate reality to life, with beings that can accomplish incredible goals. They most probably want the next big thing, which is why Deadpool became such a monster hit.

Cap 2 ended up being a massive espionage-themed film. That was quite different. Nothing that year like it.

Could it be that Batman v Superman and Civil War have close to the same theme of story with heroes fighting heroes? Not to say either can't stand on their own.

Yep they'll be making Woodgod movies and Dazzler etc

I will be selling a NM- copy of Marvel Premiere #31 next week if anyone agrees with kav's sporadic but highly plausible speculation...

Just got back from Cap 3 and I was blown away. This may be the best superhero movie ever. Total action with just the right amount of humor and mystery to keep it going. I've been a big fan of all of the Marvel and DC movies, but this one just took it to a new level. This truly is the golden age of comic movies.

Bit surprised w/ 90RT this will be down 60% this weekend

Comic book fatigue

I think BvS is actually hurting it 2c I think a lot of the regular movie goers (the non comic book buyers that were confused and didn't understand what was going on) that went and watched it was turned off by the movie and now it's hurting CW

:roflmao:

BvS is also responsible for all the death and suffering in the world.

Estimates are in saying down 74% in its second Friday. Ouch.

that's about right/average for blockbusters partially due to thursday sneak-peek reciepts getting lumped in to the first friday totals.

BvS had an 81.4% drop

AoU had a 74.9% drop

DKR had 76.7% drop

so 74% is an average/expected drop off.

Saw the movie this weekend.

Thought it was good.

Enjoyed Ant Man, Spider-Man and the Black Panther when ever they were on screen.

Thought the tone was spot on, the action was entertaining, some of the stunts were spectacular and jaw dropping.

on the negative a lot of generic feeling sets (the marketplace was the exception) and chris evans looked like he had a pound of makeup on...

when Antman

turned into giant man

it actually made me yelp out loud.

Didn't think it was as great as Winter Soldier, or Spider-Man 2 or TDK, but I'd probably rank it 4th or 5th on my list, about in line with the original Avengers movie.

I'm not sure there is anything to get excited about in the way of bad news. Though with Scott Mendelson's statement, the key words are 'par for the course lately' on Friday-to-Friday comparisons.

But if you look at the overall Marvel Studios run, there is only one movie that 'achieved' a 1st Friday-to-Friday drop-off level of -74% or worse.

R5V7Fv6.png

If you also keep reading, it is protected to be the 8th best second weekend for a film. You're going to have a pretty big drop off when your first weekend is crazy high.

Let's see that chart with actual amounts of money instead of percentages.