• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Captain America: Civil War official movie thread (5/6/16)

2,267 posts in this topic

I can't help but feel sorry for those of you who are unappreciative of what we're being given. Smell the roses, people!

This movie is what I've been dreaming of for forty years. I will gladly keep going back to the spinner rack for this brand of entertainment. If you don't want to that's fine, more for me; less quarters in my pocket. Not every plot element is perfectly scripted, nor is every panel shiny and grandiose. These characters rock, and what we're witnessing here is an entertainment dynasty on display in a 'new' medium to the whole world that some of us have enjoyed for a very long time already.

+1,000.

Yep. Same boat here. I just re-watched The Avengers last night with my daughter. Still great. A comic book come to life. Everything you could've hoped for as a young comic nerd.

I still think that original Avengers is one of the best superhero movies.

Agreed.

If someone told me in 2008 -- right before Iron Man was released -- that most of the key characters (excluding FF, of course) from the Marvel Silver Age would, over an 8-year period, not only come to life on the big screen or TV, but be portrayed in a manner that nails the spirit of the original source material, I wouldn't believe it. In 2007, we were dealing with disappointing Superman, X-Men and FF movies. Look at where we are today. :banana:

Interestingly, based on domestic box office numbers, Avengers is also the highest grossing superhero movie by far. No movie has even come close to it. It does make one wonder if that will continue to be the case as it does appear Marvel and DC are seeing diminishing returns from these movies, domestically.

Thank goodness for the international market.

There's no doubt fatigue is setting in, as movie-goers want to see completely fresh and high quality material. Which is why GOTG surprised the heck out of everyone, and why BvS was such a disappointment. I just enjoy this ride while it lasts.

I can't help but feel sorry for those of you who are unappreciative of what we're being given. Smell the roses, people!

This movie is what I've been dreaming of for forty years. I will gladly keep going back to the spinner rack for this brand of entertainment. If you don't want to that's fine, more for me; less quarters in my pocket. Not every plot element is perfectly scripted, nor is every panel shiny and grandiose. These characters rock, and what we're witnessing here is an entertainment dynasty on display in a 'new' medium to the whole world that some of us have enjoyed for a very long time already.

+1,000.

Yep. Same boat here. I just re-watched The Avengers last night with my daughter. Still great. A comic book come to life. Everything you could've hoped for as a young comic nerd.

I still think that original Avengers is one of the best superhero movies.

Agreed.

If someone told me in 2008 -- right before Iron Man was released -- that most of the key characters (excluding FF, of course) from the Marvel Silver Age would, over an 8-year period, not only come to life on the big screen or TV, but be portrayed in a manner that nails the spirit of the original source material, I wouldn't believe it. In 2007, we were dealing with disappointing Superman, X-Men and FF movies. Look at where we are today. :banana:

Interestingly, based on domestic box office numbers, Avengers is also the highest grossing superhero movie by far. No movie has even come close to it. It does make one wonder if that will continue to be the case as it does appear Marvel and DC are seeing diminishing returns from these movies, domestically.

Thank goodness for the international market.

There's no doubt fatigue is setting in, as movie-goers want to see completely fresh and high quality material. Which is why GOTG surprised the heck out of everyone, and why BvS was such a disappointment. I just enjoy this ride while it lasts.

Deadpool really changed the game as well.

It's funny to me in reading some of the comments here that y'all are so de-sensitized in this-zombie-laden-world with "somebody's gotta die". There was so much anguish bestowed on many different characters throughout the movie who had lost someone that they loved. Besides anguish, there was loyalty, guilt, vengeance, pride, betrayal and a whole slew of other raw emotions driving the plot. Politics ruining a good thing is another prevailing theme. One hero is paralyzed, another is put on ice.

I'm happier than a puppy with two tails! But I can't help but feel sorry for those of you who are unappreciative of what we're being given. Smell the roses, people!

Not sure if this was directed at me, but if so, I gave the movie a 9 out of 10 in an earlier post.

Just because I was hoping for something different than you were hoping for doesn't mean I liked the movie less than you. (shrug)

There are 100 reasons I love this movie... and as a huge fan of the Russo Brothers from their TV days I was glad they continued the trend of giving a Community alum a bit part.

But my favorite this time was that in the midst of that fabulous airport battle.... they found time to tuck in a shot of the Bluth staircar from Arrested Development.

I know I'd seen a screen shot but I couldn't find it, sorry.

If only Cap had said something about getting "hop ons," I think I'd have lost it!!

Went and saw it tonight and I thought it was a very enjoyable movie. Not... one of the great superhero movies, but a pretty entertaining movie.

The good: I wanted to be critical of Spider-man, because it's the character most dear to my heart, but they seemed really to nail the spirit of it, and very much look forward to the new movie. I can even overlook Marisa Tomei as a younger Aunt May (dang she is still attractive), because it's just has so much joy to it, and it's FUN.

The Airport fight scene is really the highlight of the movie to me; it's so cool to see all of those heroes together.... such a great scene, it's worth it just for that and Spidey. Black Panther was awesome as well, and it'll be interesting to see how they handle a solo movie with him. I would think we'll see some of the other characters there in his movie, as a way to bring some humor to it, that they use to make their movies more likable.

Really, this movie will probably be loved and remembered for those three things.

I thought it was kinda glum throughout most of the rest of it... it dropped in little nuggets of humor to take your mind off of it, but really it

made Tony Stark seem like a dik, had an extremely lame villain, tied the Winter Soldier into an unfortunate link with Stark, and had no real resolution other than Cap writing Tony a letter. And nothing to really link it to the future....

It's enjoyable for sure. I just didn't understand the 'greatness' that 's been heaped upon it. The only thing I can figure is, that as long as you have smart aleck quips, and some decent action, you'll get positive reviews, with these superhero movies. (shrug)

I think the action was way more than decent in this one and the jokes were often very funny -- it's not all smart-aleck humor. The shot of Falcon and Bucky after Cap kisses Sharon Carter was priceless!

If there's anything great about the movie (and I agree that it has flaws), it's the airport scene, the balancing act of so many characters, and the strong use of humor to counterpoint the heavy overall tone.

I think the action was way more than decent in this one and the jokes were often very funny -- it's not all smart-aleck humor. The shot of Falcon and Bucky after Cap kisses Sharon Carter was priceless!

If there's anything great about the movie (and I agree that it has flaws), it's the airport scene, the balancing act of so many characters, and the strong use of humor to counterpoint the heavy overall tone.

Oh I agree... I just don't see it as one of the best superhero movies ever made. All of that stuff saves it and makes it an enjoyable movie, good entertainment.

I just don't think you can have a great superhero movie with a lame villain.

Oh I agree... I just don't see it as one of the best superhero movies ever made. All of that stuff saves it and makes it an enjoyable movie, good entertainment.

I just don't think you can have a great superhero movie with a lame villain.

It's a neat take on Baron Zemo and it has a good twist. I totally thought that movie was gonna end in some sort of team up fight against 5 winter soldiers and some cliche sacrifice Tony would make for Cap.

I also like how it wasn't all resolved in the end with a hug it out session. Cap staying in character sends an olive branch to Tony but they're still "criminals" and there are problems they will have to deal with in the future. It will make for some interesting phase 3 movies until Thanos shows up and threatens earth.

It's funny to me in reading some of the comments here that y'all are so de-sensitized in this-zombie-laden-world with "somebody's gotta die". There was so much anguish bestowed on many different characters throughout the movie who had lost someone that they loved. Besides anguish, there was loyalty, guilt, vengeance, pride, betrayal and a whole slew of other raw emotions driving the plot. Politics ruining a good thing is another prevailing theme. One hero is paralyzed, another is put on ice.

I'm happier than a puppy with two tails! But I can't help but feel sorry for those of you who are unappreciative of what we're being given. Smell the roses, people!

Not sure if this was directed at me, but if so, I gave the movie a 9 out of 10 in an earlier post.

Just because I was hoping for something different than you were hoping for doesn't mean I liked the movie less than you. (shrug)

No sir, not directed specifically at you. I had read about a dozen or so pages after watching the movie, and was just commenting on a general theme that was contrary to my feelings.

Not sure if anyone else has noted yet, but I'm a big fan of the James Bond style stunt and action filled opening. It was pretty darn good foreplay to set the mood, and leave you wanting more I thought.

I saw some really great homages to Kirby covers like TOS 58-9 in the Cap vs Iron Man slugout.

Did anyone else see a similarity in the Winter Soldier's code book and the uniform of the classic Red Guardian?

Went and saw it tonight and I thought it was a very enjoyable movie. Not... one of the great superhero movies, but a pretty entertaining movie.

The good: I wanted to be critical of Spider-man, because it's the character most dear to my heart, but they seemed really to nail the spirit of it, and very much look forward to the new movie. I can even overlook Marisa Tomei as a younger Aunt May (dang she is still attractive), because it's just has so much joy to it, and it's FUN.

The Airport fight scene is really the highlight of the movie to me; it's so cool to see all of those heroes together.... such a great scene, it's worth it just for that and Spidey. Black Panther was awesome as well, and it'll be interesting to see how they handle a solo movie with him. I would think we'll see some of the other characters there in his movie, as a way to bring some humor to it, that they use to make their movies more likable.

Really, this movie will probably be loved and remembered for those three things.

I thought it was kinda glum throughout most of the rest of it... it dropped in little nuggets of humor to take your mind off of it, but really it

made Tony Stark seem like a dik, had an extremely lame villain, tied the Winter Soldier into an unfortunate link with Stark, and had no real resolution other than Cap writing Tony a letter. And nothing to really link it to the future....

It's enjoyable for sure. I just didn't understand the 'greatness' that 's been heaped upon it. The only thing I can figure is, that as long as you have smart aleck quips, and some decent action, you'll get positive reviews, with these superhero movies. (shrug)

I agree with this 100 percent

Without that airport scene this movie is average

doh!

First the New York Times reviewer who felt Batman fighting Superman gave him homoerotic urges, and now a reviewer from Vanity Fair bothered we didn't see a moment between Bucky and Cap.

Well, like paperheart pointed out. They do work for major publications. So they must know what they are talking about more than any of us - including prolific posters. He felt you should respect that.

(:

Well, she is a professional reviewer for Vanity Fair. You know, they only hire the best. So you must respect her views.

:baiting:

'Captain America and Bucky as lovers'

:facepalm:

What the heck has happened to male comradery and having a deep commitment to one another as a driving urge to support someone over a sexual desire?

It's Vanity Fair...why are they discussing the film at all? Girls generally think superhero movies are dumb.

Well, she is a professional reviewer for Vanity Fair. You know, they only hire the best. So you must respect her views.

:baiting:

'Captain America and Bucky as lovers'

:facepalm:

What the heck has happened to male comradery and having a deep commitment to one another as a driving urge to support someone over a sexual desire?

Unfortunately, people that have political agendas will take any hint at hidden meaning when it comes to sexuality and turn it into "proof". Characters are no longer allowed to show deep affection and connection with a member of the same sex and not have somebody wanting it to be a homosexual relationship.

Marvel has several openly gay characters in their books, and it would be good to bring some of them to the screen, but it is never good to change a character for the sake of political correctness.