• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Captain America: Civil War official movie thread (5/6/16)

2,267 posts in this topic

Agreed -- I saw Civil War twice this weekend (Friday night & Sunday matinee).

It's really good & deserves the kudos.

Can't put it on the level of the Nolan trilogy, though, because I found the first Captain America just mediocre, whereas Winter Soldier & Civil War are on a whole 'nother level.

Also, I loved Dark Knight Rises -- Nolan adapted Heat with The Dark Knight, and then gave us the Sum of All Fears with the Dark Knight Rises.

I still think I like Winter Soldier a little more, but it can be argued that the Captain America trilogy may be the best trilogy of all super hero movies (yes, I know that puts it above some other really good trilogies)

It's giving Nolan's Batman a run, but it's not at that level.

That would be one of the top competitors, but I found the third movie of that trilogy so disappointing that I think there is room for the conversation.

In the end it does come down to personal preference

IMO, Batman Begins exceeds the entertainment value of Captain America: The First Avenger.

Batman Begins > First Avenger

Dark Knight > Winter Soldier (and every other superhero film)

Civil War > Dark Knight Rises

Never gonna have a consensus on a conversation like this.

I personally do not hold The Dark Knight that high on my list, especially since I like Batman Begins more in that trilogy.

Also, I really don't mean to put down the Batman trilogy as a whole. I really like it. I was just stating that the Captain America trilogy deserves to be in the conversation and it was a conversation worth having.

It a much better conversation to have than comparing Civil War to BvS.

Consensus doesn't require unanimity. Google top 10 or 25 lists or look at the critic review sites like Rotten Tomatoes, Metacritic, MRQE, etc and you'll find the best reviews and most consistent highest picks for Dark Knight more than any other film. As far as I can tell it's the consensus that it's the best more than any other candidate. It also has the distinction of being the only superhero film to ever win an Oscar in anything besides special effects.

I'm of the opinion that it breaks down like this:

Batman Begins =(ish) CA: First Avenger

Dark Knight >(barely) CA: Winter Soldier

Dark Knight Rises <<<< CA: Civil War

While I think Batman Begins is a slightly better movie than First Avenger, it also wore out for me a lot faster. I'll still watch First Avenger when it pops up on FX but if Batman Begins is on cable or something, I'll find something else to watch.

And while I think Dark Knight is barely a better movie than Winter Soldier, it's because of the tacked-on 4th act. If they had left TwoFace for the next movie, I would really liked it more. My old roomie pointed this narrative failure out to me a few years ago & I haven't been able to un-see it since. Mostly because while I loved Robert Redford in Winter Soldier, I thought the Joker in Dark Knight was more unforgettable. Both were neck & neck in quality of story, if completely different.

And finally, I was bored to tears with Dark Knight Rises. Knightfall isn't a movie that I hold terribly high on my list of favorite batman stories, and Bane bores to death. Plus, how mumbly and squeaky his voice was bugged me.

While I think Batman Begins is a slightly better movie than First Avenger, it also wore out for me a lot faster. I'll still watch First Avenger when it pops up on FX but if Batman Begins is on cable or something, I'll find something else to watch.

And while I think Dark Knight is barely a better movie than Winter Soldier, it's because of the tacked-on 4th act. If they had left TwoFace for the next movie, I would really liked it more. My old roomie pointed this narrative failure out to me a few years ago & I haven't been able to un-see it since. Mostly because while I loved Robert Redford in Winter Soldier, I thought the Joker in Dark Knight was more unforgettable. Both were neck & neck in quality of story, if completely different.

The last two acts of Dark Knight are a bit much, but they're better than the last act of Batman Begins. And the last two minutes makes it worth sitting through the previous half-hour...the segment where he sacrifices his reputation for Dent's leading up to Gordon calling him the "Dark Knight" is magic. Everything in Begins after he tells Rachel "It's not who you are underneath, it's what you do that defines you" as he's jumping off the building goes downhill in that one, but it's not horrible.

Consensus doesn't require unanimity. Google top 10 or 25 lists or look at the critic review sites like Rotten Tomatoes, Metacritic, MRQE, etc and you'll find the best reviews and most consistent highest picks for Dark Knight more than any other film. As far as I can tell it's the consensus that it's the best more than any other candidate. It also has the distinction of being the only superhero film to ever win an Oscar in anything besides special effects.

So because you agree with all the sites there is no room for conversation?

Haven't I seen people in another thread state the the Dark Knight is overrated? Do you take that into consideration? (I may be wrong on this. I read a lot of stuff online).

I'm just stating that there is enough evidence to show there is room for conversation and it is an interesting conversation to have. Nothing more.

Haven't I seen people in another thread state the the Dark Knight is overrated? Do you take that into consideration?

No, I take the majority opinion. Individual dissent doesn't invalidate the consensus of the majority. What other film are you suggesting has wider acclaim than The Dark Knight?

Haven't I seen people in another thread state the the Dark Knight is overrated? Do you take that into consideration?

No, I take the majority opinion. Individual dissent doesn't invalidate the consensus of the majority. What other film are you suggesting has wider acclaim than The Dark Knight?

Talking trilogy and I gave my opinion.

I think whatever you appreciate more is what matters most to you. There is no reason to force a decision either way.

But I do think the Nolan trilogy exceeds the Cap trilogy by at least two movies, IMO. Batman Begins finally taking us through Bruce's early training was fantastic, and his battle with Ras and crew to protect Gotham is loaded with action.

The Dark Knight and Joker exceeds the fantastic experience of Winter Soldier for me. But wow, two powerhouse films that demonstrated how incredible comic book films can be when in capable hands.

I still need to see Civil War.

I think whatever you appreciate more is what matters most to you. There is no reason to force a decision either way.

But I do think the Nolan trilogy exceeds the Cap trilogy by at least two movies, IMO. Batman Begins finally taking us through Bruce's early training was fantastic, and his battle with Ras and crew to protect Gotham is loaded with action.

The Dark Knight and Joker exceeds the fantastic experience of Winter Soldier for me. But wow, two powerhouse films that demonstrated how incredible comic book films can be when in capable hands.

Totally respect your personal preference and everyone else's.

Would be good to check out Civil War before discussing the trilogies as a whole.

It's difficult for me to think of the Cap films as a "trilogy" when there's nothing final about the third one. It's an open-ended series that Marvel will continue to carry forward, whereas something like Star Wars or the Nolan Batmans knew they'd be wrapping things up after a third film. But I suppose we can just compare any three consecutive films to any other three, and yea, Nolan Batman and Cap are probably the most comparable.

Don't confuse consensus and majority. **No dog in the fight**

Would be good to check out Civil War before discussing the trilogies as a whole.

I saw all five of the movies between Batman and Cap - repeatedly. So I feel very comfortable stating Batman exceeds both of the first two Cap movies for me. With The Dark Knight Rises, I'm definitely clear on its deficiencies. So I count on the Russo brothers delivering above it even if they met The Winter Soldier standards without exceeding that accomplishment.

Don't confuse consensus and majority. **No dog in the fight**

It's far more than a majority. The Dark Knight has the highest critical review scores on all the meta sites, it's most consistently at or near the top of almost every top 10 list out there, and has the only major non-technical award given to a superhero film.

I saw all five of the movies between Batman and Cap - repeatedly. So I feel very comfortable stating Batman exceeds both of the first two Cap movies for me. With The Dark Knight Rises, I'm definitely clear on its deficiencies. So I count on the Russo brothers delivering above it even if they met The Winter Soldier standards without exceeding that accomplishment.

I understand how when you are already leading 2-0 in a three game series there is no point in playing the third game. You won't be swayed. I was just stating it is worth taking a look at the final chapter when having a conversation with people when they see the score is tied at 1-1.

I understand how when you are already leading 2-0 in a tree game series there is no point in playing the third game. You won't be swayed. I was just stating it is worth taking a look at the final chapter when having a conversation when the score is tied 1-1.

The good thing - I really like all these movies. So it's not like I am going to toss out my Cap or Batman blu-rays if one exceeds the other.

:insane:

I understand how when you are already leading 2-0 in a tree game series there is no point in playing the third game. You won't be swayed. I was just stating it is worth taking a look at the final chapter when having a conversation when the score is tied 1-1.

The good thing - I really like all these movies. So it's not like I am going to toss out my Cap or Batman blu-rays if one exceeds the other.

:insane:

Yes, that would be insane if you did.

Fantastic Four's dead-on here.

The first three Cap movies do _not_ constitute a trilogy as we're still in the middle of the story.

It's a trio of movies but Civil War ends far more akin to Empire Strikes back (including two ridiculously gratuitous similarities) than any conclusion.

Take those, and throw in Spidey's revelation during the airport fight, and the Russo's are clearly poking fun at how much this film is consciously aping Empire.