• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Captain America: Civil War official movie thread (5/6/16)

2,267 posts in this topic

Saw it over the weekend and thought it was decent.

I wish Crossbones had been in it more. I also wish the characters didn't feel the need to take of their masks every 5 minutes. 2c

that was my only negative, and not much of a big one, but they kinda did Crossbones like Boba Fett. Coolest character, dies in a crappy way.

Lazy writing and very little character development. I was really disappointed they got rid of him so quickly.

He was pretty much the Batroc of Civil War.

Unfortunately the character was given a lot more play in the previous CA movie, so there's all this build up and interest. You have a good actor playing a potentially interesting character and boom, he's done. I have to wonder what the point of having him in the movie was other than to create the event that gets the whole "civil war" started.

Batroc was completely useless, It could've been any other character, existing or made up and it would've made no difference...except to the few fans who get an over someone from the comics being mentioned. It's not like he even resembled the character in any way to his comic book counterpart aside from being a good martial artist.

I wish Crossbones had been in it more. I also wish the characters didn't feel the need to take of their masks every 5 minutes. 2c

that was my only negative, and not much of a big one, but they kinda did Crossbones like Boba Fett. Coolest character, dies in a crappy way.

Lazy writing and very little character development. I was really disappointed they got rid of him so quickly.

I'm also puzzled in how everyone keeps referring to this as the 'Empire Strikes Back' of the 'trilogy'. When Infinity War starts, nothing in this movie will make a difference, except that Tony Stark was an A-hole, and everyone should be completely suspect of his sanity.

Nothing that happens in this movie will make any difference going forward, other than that. How that's like Empire, I have no idea.

The good guys have the good guys in prison. Not the bad guys, the good guys. That doesn't seem like Empire. They unnecessarily crippled a minor character, unnecessarily eliminated Winter Soldier from the cinematic universe (because of what he did, they will NOT bring him back), and create a completely implausible behavior for Stark throughout the movie.

We find out his parents are murdered and he's tormented about it to this day. Of the 5 movies he's been in, this has never previously been hinted at.

He goes against the only people who're still willing to share company and work with him, not trusting their judgement, despite the fact that they've saved the planet earth TWICE with him.

In creating this hardly-a-Civil War, and realizing it's going to be deathly dangerous, he recruits a 15 year old inexperienced BOY super hero to take into battle.

After seeing his best friend crippled and losing the initial battle, a short conversation with the Falcon, a captured member of the other team, is enough to make him betray his own team and the United States Military, and join his traitorous enemies as an ally.

Of course this is quickly dissolved as the villain's plan comes to fruition and Stark realizes what Winter Soldier has done, sending him into a rage of battle against his enemy/ally/now again enemies.

He gets his butte kicked, goes home and shares a chuckle with his crippled best friend (letting us all know - it's OK!), before reading a hand written letter from Cap, and shrugging the whole thing off.

I just don't see the comparison.

(shrug)

If Stark had developed the hovercar properly Winter Soldier would never have got to him.

I can see the comparison to Empire cause dude got his arm cut off.

I'm also puzzled in how everyone keeps referring to this as the 'Empire Strikes Back' of the 'trilogy'. When Infinity War starts, nothing in this movie will make a difference, except that Tony Stark was an A-hole, and everyone should be completely suspect of his sanity.

Nothing that happens in this movie will make any difference going forward, other than that. How that's like Empire, I have no idea.

The good guys have the good guys in prison. Not the bad guys, the good guys. That doesn't seem like Empire. They unnecessarily crippled a minor character, unnecessarily eliminated Winter Soldier from the cinematic universe (because of what he did, they will NOT bring him back), and create a completely implausible behavior for Stark throughout the movie.

We find out his parents are murdered and he's tormented about it to this day. Of the 5 movies he's been in, this has never previously been hinted at.

He goes against the only people who're still willing to share company and work with him, not trusting their judgement, despite the fact that they've saved the planet earth TWICE with him.

In creating this hardly-a-Civil War, and realizing it's going to be deathly dangerous, he recruits a 15 year old inexperienced BOY super hero to take into battle.

After seeing his best friend crippled and losing the initial battle, a short conversation with the Falcon, a captured member of the other team, is enough to make him betray his own team and the United States Military, and join his traitorous enemies as an ally.

Of course this is quickly dissolved as the villain's plan comes to fruition and Stark realizes what Winter Soldier has done, sending him into a rage of battle against his enemy/ally/now again enemies.

He gets his butte kicked, goes home and shares a chuckle with his crippled best friend (letting us all know - it's OK!), before reading a hand written letter from Cap, and shrugging the whole thing off.

I just don't see the comparison.

(shrug)

I think it comes down to the fact that nobody is getting a medal or dancing the yub yub with teddy bears, that makes it "Empire" like.

Jim

The fact that The Winter Solider Killed the Starks was heavily implied in Cap 2.

I haven't seen it in a while...where did this happen?

The bunker scene with Cap, Natasha, and the computer / Zola.

For me the Empire comparisons include:

- It ending with an enemy who has won and the heroes scattered

- Dude getting his arm cut off

- and/or dude getting legs damaged & last scene with him fitted with robotic legs (rather than robotic hand)

- Dude literally getting put on ice

- Them going so far as name-checking Empire in using webs to bring down a giant (a la, the AT-ATs

Clearly the whole thing was an homage to Empire - I'm surprised the Russos haven't said as much in interviews

The Cap films do seem to be a trilogy with a beginning, a middle and an end.

The first film portrays Steve rogers becoming Captain America and at the end of Civil War Steve leaves his shield behind and gives up his role as the Captain.

When he breaks Bucky out of prison, he's Steve Rogers, not Captain America, the same as later in Wakanda when Bucky gets put to sleep.

The next time we see Steve Rogers in the MCU it won't be as Captain America.

-of course, by the time the Thanos story wraps up I expect to see Steve back as CA.

I wonder if this means we should stock up on these?

3074378-captainamerica180.jpg

hm

The Cap films do seem to be a trilogy with a beginning, a middle and an end.

The first film portrays Steve rogers becoming Captain America and at the end of Civil War Steve leaves his shield behind and gives up his role as the Captain.

When he breaks Bucky out of prison, he's Steve Rogers, not Captain America, the same as later in Wakanda when Bucky gets put to sleep.

The next time we see Steve Rogers in the MCU it won't be as Captain America.

-of course, by the time the Thanos story wraps up I expect to see Steve back as CA.

I wonder if this means we should stock up on these?

3074378-captainamerica180.jpg

hm

Heh. Maybe.

I figure they're shaking things up - I suspect Thor Ragnarok will have an impact on the two characters missing from Civil War, Thor & the Hulk.

By the time Avengers 3 hits the theaters we'll have 2 more characters firmly entrenched, the Panther & Doc Strange and the Avengers will be split into two teams.

A great time for Thanos to retrieve the Infinity stones which is likely bad news for the Vision.

For me the Empire comparisons include:

- It ending with an enemy who has won and the heroes scattered

But that guy wasn't the enemy. He was some dude named Zemo, who had bone to pick. His overall significance in the OVERALL story is zero. We'll never see him again.

When the Infinity War happens, nothing from this movie will mean anything.

And it was the heroes who scattered themselves, thanks to the irrational and poorly written characterization of Tony Stark/Iron Man, NOT Zemo.

If Tony had half a brain (and let's face it, he's ACTUALLY the SMARTEST guy in the room WHEREVER he's at), he wouldn't have acted so impulsively in the first place. And Cap or the Vision would've realized it.

The enemy was themselves.

- Dude getting his arm cut off

Which would be a comparison to Luke, who was the hero of Empire and someone without whom the series wouldn't even exist. Not so much Winter Soldier, who we've seen the last of. His existence has nothing to do with the overall story going on here, other than to create a contrived plot twist for the sake of selling an additional movie with a name tie-in to the comics.

Luke losing his hand had an overall significance in the story, as well as being the single most important character in the series.

It's a stretch at best.

- and/or dude getting legs damaged & last scene with him fitted with robotic legs (rather than robotic hand)

(shrug) But isn't he another insignificant character to the overall story? If War Machine never appears again in the story, other than from a hospital bed, everything will still play out without him. I think that's a major stretch.

- Dude literally getting put on ice

Not Cap. Not Iron Man. Heck, not even Hawkeye. But a character who is insignificant to the overall story. (shrug) I see the similarity again in the 'action'... just not in the story.

- Them going so far as name-checking Empire in using webs to bring down a giant (a la, the AT-ATs

Name checking? That would make half of Kevin Smith's movies a homage to Star Wars!

Clearly the whole thing was an homage to Empire - I'm surprised the Russos haven't said as much in interviews

I don't think homage is the right word. More like, 'sprinkles of reminiscence'.

Once again, this movie could not exist and everything that will take place before and after it will be same. It is as insignificant to the Marvel Cinematic Universe as Empire is SIGNIFICANT to the Star Wars Universe.

The fact that The Winter Solider Killed the Starks was heavily implied in Cap 2.

How is it implied Winter Soldier did it? It's implied Hydra was behind it, but maybe I'm missing where they imply Bucky had anything to do with it.

How is it implied Winter Soldier did it? It's implied Hydra was behind it, but maybe I'm missing where they imply Bucky had anything to do with it.

This kind of reminds me how in comics we as the readers know more about the heroes than the other characters do, but just assume that they do know.

I must be missing something too, I'm assuming UB just filled in the gaps himself.

It's not like he's going to die.

Why wouldn't he die? He did so - along with so many others - in Infinity Gauntlet # 4.

http://media.comicbook.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/08/infinity-gauntlet-vision-dies.jpg

I doubt Disney/Marvel will kill one if its key members

Doesn't seem to be their MO

Well, it'd be a pretty tame Infinity War if no one dies.

25 years later & I still remember Cloak's death & Wolverine's death.

Of course, I don't actually see folks all butt-hurt that the movie version changes what to me were the two biggest outcomes of the comic:

1) Spider-Man revealing his identity to the world and

2) Sharon killing Cap

Well, it'd be a pretty tame Infinity War if no one dies.

25 years later & I still remember Cloak's death & Wolverine's death.

Of course, I don't actually see folks all butt-hurt that the movie version changes what to me were the two biggest outcomes of the comic:

1) Spider-Man revealing his identity to the world and

2) Sharon killing Cap

I was but-hurt, but I dealt with it privately

This kind of reminds me how in comics we as the readers know more about the heroes than the other characters do, but just assume that they do know.

I must be missing something too, I'm assuming UB just filled in the gaps himself.

Someone else posted this, not me: "They told us about the plot twist in Civil War two years ago. When Cap and Widow are talking to the Zola supercomputer and he explains that Hydra was within SHIELD, there's a montage of reports on Hydra assassinations which were all Winter Soldier hits. One of those was this - I hit pause and took a quick pic:

http://outside-affiliatelinksnotallowed.com/zvwxapf

So this was when Cap found out about Tony's parents, and I still didn't see it coming at ALL the first time I watched Civil War."