• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Valuation

157 posts in this topic

There's a lot of built-in prejudice against the pence copies that needs to be overcome. Pence copies are perceived to be less desirable than cents copies by most collectors. And really, much of the blame is on the Brits. Most preferred cents copies from the beginning. Of course, Americans preferred something that was not different. A lot of collectors think of them as not first prints. Overstreet has stated that pence copies as worth less. Many are reluctant to buy pence copies for resale or to invest in because they are a tougher sell.

That's okay with me. I'll keep buying them and enjoying them. :banana:

There's a lot of built-in prejudice against the pence copies that needs to be overcome. Pence copies are perceived to be less desirable than cents copies by most collectors. And really, much of the blame is on the Brits. Most preferred cents copies from the beginning. Of course, Americans preferred something that was not different. A lot of collectors think of them as not first prints. Overstreet has stated that pence copies as worth less. Many are reluctant to buy pence copies for resale or to invest in because they are a tougher sell.

I don't know if I would call it a "prejudice". I would say that the majority of people see these books as distinctly American creations and products, therefore the perception is that the cents versions are the "original" or "real" versions. And like someone else mentioned in the thread, the vast majority of collectors have collections that are cents copies, so not many will want to randomly have a pence copy of some book in there. Those who specifically target pence copies will be those willing to drive up the price every once in awhile in an odd auction here or there. The rest are collectors that will take the "better deal" on a pence copy, for much the same reason a collector will buy a restored book. No one is saying any of those books are worthless. They are just "worth less" than the cents versions because there is simply far less demand, and there are many, many collectors who will not buy a pence book regardless of how large of a discount there is.

-J.

What I look at is publicly recorded sales data which takes no side and has no skin in the game. If you are telling me I need to do an exhaustive analysis of every pence version of every comic out there in order to formulate an educated opinion, then you are the one being unreasonable. There have been other multiple boardies on here that have put the percentage of pence to cents FMV at 50-70%. I'm not sure what your gripe is here, as even you have indicated that they can go for 60% and as high as 80%. I simply pointed out that your 80% is anomalous and not consistent with the majority of the publicly recorded sales data. The reality is if one simply looks at GPA for the main books that most people are chasing, the percentage settles in around the 60% mark on average and can hit up to about 70% on the big keys. If you can move your pence copies at 80% that's great for you. But that percentage is not representative of the overall market, and your buyers should not hope or expect to duplicate that feat on a re-sale.

-J.

I'm afraid that taking a few data points from GPA on a couple of keys that only a few people are looking to buy is not even in the same galaxy as 'overall market'. You're looking at the niche of a niche of a niche and declaring it gospel.

There is a good reason why statisticians prefer larger sample sizes - and taken from as wide a populace as possible - before coming up with some trends.

The only thing you can extrapolate from what you've seen is that, through the few venues that report to GPA, low grade slabs of AF #15 and Hulk #1 don't go for much more than 60% of their US counterparts.

Everything else is pure conjecture on your part and any reference to the 'overall market' is a stretch of monumental proportions.

With due respect, I put more weight on publicly available sales data than I do the unverifiable, and possibly anecdotal accounts of a single dealer. The fact that you are in the business of pence copies makes you an expert to be sure, but also likely biased in your interpretations. This is what makes GPA a valuable tool it is cold hard facts from a large pool of data sources, and again, it supports an FMV of about 60% on average. These aren't numbers I'm pulling from a hat, they are what's readily available for anyone to see that subscribes to GPA.

-J.

Pence copies are a very small proportion of my stock...right now, they account for roughly 2% of my overall stock...so I'm not sure whether I'm 'in the business of pence copies'. meh

And your suggestion that I am being less than honest is not appreciated.

Furthermore, GPA sales data on total pence copies sold is less than useless, 'publicly available' or not. The amount of slabbed pence copies is minuscule compared to the raw market. Additionally, how many UK dealers report to GPA?

You might as well use the Nasdaq index, or a geiger counter, to determine the comparative value of pence copies...they're just as relevant.

What I look at is publicly recorded sales data which takes no side and has no skin in the game. If you are telling me I need to do an exhaustive analysis of every pence version of every comic out there in order to formulate an educated opinion, then you are the one being unreasonable. There have been other multiple boardies on here that have put the percentage of pence to cents FMV at 50-70%. I'm not sure what your gripe is here, as even you have indicated that they can go for 60% and as high as 80%. I simply pointed out that your 80% is anomalous and not consistent with the majority of the publicly recorded sales data. The reality is if one simply looks at GPA for the main books that most people are chasing, the percentage settles in around the 60% mark on average and can hit up to about 70% on the big keys. If you can move your pence copies at 80% that's great for you. But that percentage is not representative of the overall market, and your buyers should not hope or expect to duplicate that feat on a re-sale.

-J.

I'm afraid that taking a few data points from GPA on a couple of keys that only a few people are looking to buy is not even in the same galaxy as 'overall market'. You're looking at the niche of a niche of a niche and declaring it gospel.

There is a good reason why statisticians prefer larger sample sizes - and taken from as wide a populace as possible - before coming up with some trends.

The only thing you can extrapolate from what you've seen is that, through the few venues that report to GPA, low grade slabs of AF #15 and Hulk #1 don't go for much more than 60% of their US counterparts.

Everything else is pure conjecture on your part and any reference to the 'overall market' is a stretch of monumental proportions.

With due respect, I put more weight on publicly available sales data than I do the unverifiable, and possibly anecdotal accounts of a single dealer. The fact that you are in the business of pence copies makes you an expert to be sure, but also likely biased in your interpretations. This is what makes GPA a valuable tool it is cold hard facts from a large pool of data sources, and again, it supports an FMV of about 60% on average. These aren't numbers I'm pulling from a hat, they are what's readily available for anyone to see that subscribes to GPA.

-J.

Pence copies are a very small proportion of my stock...right now, they account for roughly 2% of my overall stock...so I'm not sure whether I'm 'in the business of pence copies'. meh

Furthermore, GPA sales data on total pence copies sold is less than useless, 'publicly available' or not. The amount of slabbed pence copies is minuscule compared to the raw market. Additionally, how many UK dealers report to GPA?

You might as well use the Nasdaq index, or a geiger counter, to determine the comparative value of pence copies...they're just as relevant.

I don't believe I stated you were being less than honest, as a suggestion or otherwise. I said that you are more likely to be biased because pense obviously are or have been a notable percentage of your business.

And again, with due respect, I would put more faith in the raw data and sales figures reported by GPA, than the anecdotal accounts of a dealer who has a skin in the game. You are actually the one attempting to argue against what is publicly available for the masses to consume and use to make an informed decision for themselves. That data suggests that 60% is the average FMV to cents copies. Others have come on this thread and said that their personal experience has the number closer to 50% at times. Are you suggesting that your personal experience is somehow more valid, complete and reliable than what is being publicly reported to GPA from multiple independent data sources? Or the personal experiences of other boardies?

Rhetorical question.

-J.

As a UK based collector who has amassed a rather nice collection of 500+ cgc silver age pence issues (or UK Edition as cgc refers to them) feel I should chime in here. My collection has hg keys, med high grade keys, mid grade keys and many more throughout this range. I feel I have a good grasp of the market and feel I can shed light here:

1. 70- 80% is the current benchmark. Flaming_telepath is spot on. The majority of my books were purchased around this level from a vast range of sellers. If anyone is selling any uk edition book at <80% of cents I am a buyer all day long :) .....pls pm me :)

2. While it is true that cgc census makes it look like pence copies are few and far between, do not under estimate the amount of raw books. As per comments before the uk collectors are less keen on slabbing therefore the census is to a point misleading on population out there

3. That being said, higher grade copies of early keys are notoriously tough to track down in 8.0 or above. I would pay 100% cents for FF1, IH1, JIM83 in 8.0 or above...

4. A note of caution when assessing gpa / comic link/ ha.com past sales for uk editions. I can guarantee this is only a small fraction of the market. Many many many more deals take place away from these sites. I know, cos I have bought hundreds of books in my eternal quest for a complete uk edition run..Keys and run issues and lesser keys are all sold in vast quantities away from these headline sites.

I hope these points from a collector help add further colour to this discussion

:)

As a UK based collector who has amassed a rather nice collection of 500+ cgc silver age pence issues (or UK Edition as cgc refers to them) feel I should chime in here. My collection has hg keys, med high grade keys, mid grade keys and many more throughout this range. I feel I have a good grasp of the market and feel I can shed light here:

1. 70- 80% is the current benchmark. Flaming_telepath is spot on. The majority of my books were purchased around this level from a vast range of sellers. If anyone is selling any uk edition book at <80% of cents I am a buyer all day long :) .....pls pm me :)

2. While it is true that cgc census makes it look like pence copies are few and far between, do not under estimate the amount of raw books. As per comments before the uk collectors are less keen on slabbing therefore the census is to a point misleading on population out there

3. That being said, higher grade copies of early keys are notoriously tough to track down in 8.0 or above. I would pay 100% cents for FF1, IH1, JIM83 in 8.0 or above...

4. A note of caution when assessing gpa / comic link/ ha.com past sales for uk editions. I can guarantee this is only a small fraction of the market. Many many many more deals take place away from these sites. I know, cos I have bought hundreds of books in my eternal quest for a complete uk edition run..Keys and run issues and lesser keys are all sold in vast quantities away from these headline sites.

I personally appreciate your input. However my only question, again, possibly rhetorical, would be why are such nose bleed prices for pense copies only evidently realized in private sales, and not in publicly held signature auctions? Aren't those a far better test and indication of real value and demand in the open market place ? (shrug)

-J.

You have a very apropos "handle" on here. :):jokealert:

Side question - do you have the kind of money to pay for those key books in high grade?

I don't really mean for your to answer, but draw the question as to whether or not that market exists at all? There are a very few individuals (relative to the population or even the collecting population that can afford high grade key books) in the US who can afford these books and find it very difficult to conceive that there is a sizable market for UK variants.

That being said, all the sales seem to be private and without data we are all just speculating.

-J.

-J.

I don't believe I stated you were being less than honest, as a suggestion or otherwise. I said that you are more likely to be biased because pense obviously are or have been a notable percentage of your business.

And again, with due respect, I would put more faith in the raw data and sales figures reported by GPA, than the anecdotal accounts of a dealer who has a skin in the game. You are actually the one attempting to argue against what is publicly available for the masses to consume and use to make an informed decision for themselves. That data suggests that 60% is the average FMV to cents copies. Others have come on this thread and said that their personal experience has the number closer to 50% at times. Are you suggesting that your personal experience is somehow more valid, complete and reliable than what is being publicly reported to GPA from multiple independent data sources? Or the personal experiences of other boardies?

Rhetorical question.

-J.

Well said. There is a lot of "what I say is credible just because I am dealer" statements on this site and I think it is silly that people get offended when it is challenged. Unless a dealer is willing to pull up their sales trends and open their data to the public, their point of view is an opinion and should be taken as such. This isn't a challenge to anyone's integrity, but rather normal skepticism when a discussion is taking place. People do (and should) challenge opinions, that is why places like these exist.

I personally appreciate your input. However my only question, again, possibly rhetorical, would be why are such nose bleed prices for pense copies only evidently realized in private sales, and not in publicly held signature auctions? Aren't those a far better test and indication of real value and demand in the open market place ? (shrug)

-J.

I believe an AF 15 5.5 uk edition sold for 75% of a cents copy in 5.5 at the same auction in October a few weeks ago.

-J.

I believe an AF 15 5.5 uk edition sold for 75% of a cents copy in 5.5 at the same auction in October a few weeks ago.

It was about 71.7% actually of that particular cents 5.5. But it was 64.8% below the last reported sale of a 5.5 on GPA. Also In that same auction a 3.0 hulk 1 pense went for $5100, which is about 51% of the last cents version in the same grade that sold for $10k.

All that equates to about an average FMV of about 62% of cents copies which is spot on to what many posters on this thread have said the average discount is. (thumbs u

-J.

You have a very apropos "handle" on here. :):jokealert:

Side question - do you have the kind of money to pay for those key books in high grade?

I don't really mean for your to answer, but draw the question as to whether or not that market exists at all? There are a very few individuals (relative to the population or even the collecting population that can afford high grade key books) in the US who can afford these books and find it very difficult to conceive that there is a sizable market for UK variants.

That being said, all the sales seem to be private and without data we are all just speculating.

I get your point...for sure you are right there are very few collectors specifically looking for an uk edition cgc 8.0 FF1. Probably a handful and maybe only a portion of that could afford should the book come up for sale...so we talking really low number in terms of demand... But again we must stress point that there is very limited supply. Hence I could very likely predict that it would sell for 80%. You may get it for 70% but I doubt it.

I would love to be proved wrong and pick up my grail book for a bargain of 50% but it ain't gonna happen.

Too many dealers/non specialists wanting key book at lower price/speculators in the market would sniff out "value" if the "real" collectors didn't turn up

-J.

It was about 71.7% actually of that particular cents 5.5. But it was 64.8% below the last reported sale of a 5.5 on GPA. Also In that same auction a 3.0 hulk 1 pense went for $5100, which is about 51% of the last cents version in the same grade that sold for $10k.

All that equates to about an average FMV of about 62% of cents copies which is spot on to what many posters on this thread have said the average discount is. (thumbs u

-J.

Mid grade super key book is good yardstick...surely same book, same auction, same grade is the best assessment when comparing and it came out at 71.7%..

I think hulk 1 cgc 2.5 uk for sale yest was c80% of last gpa sale of cents.

-J.

-J.

Mid grade super key book is good yardstick...surely same book, same auction, same grade is the best assessment when comparing and it came out at 71.7%..

I think hulk 1 cgc 2.5 uk for sale yest was c80% of last gpa sale of cents.

It did, but that was still 70% of the 90 day average of the cents version in grade, and only $300 more than the most recent 1.0 cents copy sale that also happened last week. (thumbs u

-J.

I bought this from F_T eons ago. I have always been fascinated by pence copies. I am thrilled to still have it. I paid almost exactly 70% of the American price for the grade, and was stoked to do so. I apologize that this data has not been run through a triple blind design study, is anecdotal, has not been verified as "balls on" correct, and involves a book that either may, or may not, be considered a key.

http://www.myslabbedcomics.com/GalleryPiece.asp?Piece=24717&GSub=1406

I bought this from F_T eons ago. I have always been fascinated by pence copies. I am thrilled to still have it. I paid almost exactly 70% of the American price for the grade, and was stoked to do so. I apologize that this data has not been run through a triple blind design study, is anecdotal, has not been verified as "balls on" correct, and involves a book that either may, or may not, be considered a key.

http://www.myslabbedcomics.com/GalleryPiece.asp?Piece=24717&GSub=1406

That's a sharp looking copy. I also think it's kind of neat when the cents copies have a pense stamp off to the side. All of these books are interesting and collectible in their own right. :foryou:

-J.