• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

The official J Scott Campbell Appreciation/Discussion Thread
12 12

4,765 posts in this topic

The pics with the tape damage were not visible until today for me. Not sure exactly when the seller added them but some people may be bidding based on the original pics he had up.

Then again, it is private so no idea if there's funny business going on here.

Tape pics and description were there the second the listing went up, I've been following it. Maybe people are bidding without reading the description or maybe some funny business? Not sure but it's strange.

Edited by Cyber Warrior

Are people crazy WTF... Book is currently at $1635. Do they see the damage? Insane. I'm out.. I would have overpaid at a thousand but this is just ridiculous.

You guys assume the non savviest of collectors can see the damage. The description is vague at best, no grade is given. A lot of people just don't care about condition, I sell books full time, I'd say that more people don't care about condition than do.

They want it, pure and simple. It's crazy as heck to me, but that's the way it goes sometimes.

Jim

Description..

****UNBEKNOWNST TO ME, THERE IS SOME TYPE OF BLEMISH

ON THE TOP OF THE COVER THAT IS NOT VISIBLE THROUGH

THE PLASTIC - ONCE REMOVED FROM THE PLASTIC, IT IS

VERY VISIBLE & A LITTLE ROUGH TO THE TOUCH

I DO NOT KNOW WHAT CAUSED IT, THINKING THE

MISSING INK WAS A MISPRINT WHEN ORIGINALLY

TAKING THE PICTURES FOR THE PREVIOUS AUCTION

I HAVE TAKEN AS MANY PICS IN DIFFERENT LIGHT

TO TRY & DETAIL THE SPOT AS BEST AS I CAN

PLEASE SEE ALL PICTURES & ASK QUESTIONS BEFORE

ANY BIDS PLACED OR USING THE BUY IT NOW

What's this previous auction he speaks of? I didn't see anything.

I don't buy it... at first I thought it was ppl being dumb and lazy not scrolling through all the pictures or reading the description sub 900... but at this point... private bidding????... didn't notice that... I'm calling bullocks... there's no way you throw down that much money without checking out every inch of that book... hell, I send about 10-20 messages to sellers asking about condition and requesting more pics on raw books over 200-300 on eBay... this is a farce...

Edited by zupaphly

I don't buy it... at first I thought it was ppl being dumb and lazy not scrolling through all the pictures or reading the description sub 900... but at this point... private bidding????... didn't notice that... I'm calling bullocks... there's no way you throw down that much money without checking out every inch of that book... hell, I send about 10-20 messages to sellers asking about condition and requesting more pics on raw books over 200-300 on eBay... this is a farce...

True...

It finished at $1951.51

I contacted the seller earlier, according to him theres nothing else wrong with the book except for that one spot on the cover. The auction was at ~$1900 and dropped to $1635, he said a bidder contacted him to retract his bids.. and then went back up to the $1951.51. His original BIN was $1500 for the book.

One thing that stopped me last minute was when I was zooming into the damage it almost looked like there was whiteout spilled on the book.. I started thinking what if that rough spot is not paper missing but something that hardened on top.. it was tough to tell and I didnt have time to message the seller again but he does say in the description that the spot is rough.. if it were just paper missing from a tape pull I would think it would still be somewhat soft, this appeared to look like something hardened.. the last thing you need is the book returning from CGC with a purple label for restoration. Too much damage to risk spending that much money, cover also looked rippled.. too many red flags with this auction.

It finished at $1951.51

I contacted the seller earlier, according to him theres nothing else wrong with the book except for that one spot on the cover. The auction was at ~$1900 and dropped to $1635, he said a bidder contacted him to retract his bids.. and then went back up to the $1951.51. His original BIN was $1500 for the book.

One thing that stopped me last minute was when I was zooming into the damage it almost looked like there was whiteout spilled on the book.. I started thinking what if that rough spot is not paper missing but something that hardened on top.. it was tough to tell and I didnt have time to message the seller again but he does say in the description that the spot is rough.. if it were just paper missing from a tape pull I would think it would still be somewhat soft, this appeared to look like something hardened.. the last thing you need is the book returning from CGC with a purple label for restoration. Too much damage to risk spending that much money, cover also looked rippled.. too many red flags with this auction.

$1951. I hope the winner at least offered 2k for the 9.6 that is sitting on eBay.

Are people crazy WTF... Book is currently at $1635. Do they see the damage? Insane. I'm out.. I would have overpaid at a thousand but this is just ridiculous.

A lot of people just don't care about condition, I sell books full time, I'd say that more people don't care about condition than do.

They want it, pure and simple. It's crazy as heck to me, but that's the way it goes sometimes.

Jim

:preach: totally agree

It finished at $1951.51

Yea I saw what looked like molten plastic lava on that spot. I have no idea what may have caused that short of holding a lighter over it. Wish there were pics of the interior pages....$2K for that thats borderline looney bin, but when you consider what the seller of the 9.6 wants, maybe compromises had to be made to fill holes in a collection.

Jerome

Borderline??? That's just plain off the reservation... 2k for a book that looks like it was used to patch drywall... or 3.5k for a 9.6... seems like a no brainer... I'm sorry... I thought $900 was high for the condition... ending price of that was just no brain...

Yeah, pre order is $200 . Reason why I was asking who the new venom is... so I can decide to pre order or not . lol

Where can I pre order? I do not know about the Venom, but that cover is going to go up if limited, as it's been happening more and more lately.

Yeah, pre order is $200 . Reason why I was asking who the new venom is... so I can decide to pre order or not . lol

Where can I pre order? I do not know about the Venom, but that cover is going to go up if limited, as it's been happening more and more lately.

DCBS

And the books will be under $200 in other places.............

just have to look