• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

The official J Scott Campbell Appreciation/Discussion Thread
12 12

4,765 posts in this topic

With the recent news of Campbell coming to Mexico I want to ask you boardies, is there a way to contact him for the possibility of a sketch or a remark?

I know some of you know him or have a way to contact him so it wouldn't hurt to ask.

I also know he no longer does sketches at cons (being Paris the latest exception I know of), but I want to finally have an original from him and I believe this way I could at least ensure that.

I know it's a long shot, but knowing how the cons are handled here, I'm afraid I might not even be able to meet him. Right now they are charging an additional $100 USD just for a chance to get stuff signed (not specifically him), and up to $400 for the Stan Lee stuff. The con will be in another estate, so the trip will be expensive on its own.

I am willing to pay the $300-$400 he usually charges if there is a chance so at least I will not come back empty handed. I already have my ticket, but if I could ensure this I would be good to go.

Please let me know, I appreciate your comments!

Regards.

Twitter.............

you might try Doug he tends to know about these things... but Campbell's remarks are pretty costly something like $1500 US

or try the Signature series thread

I've never asked for a sketch personally from him I'd be curious to know how much they are considering his remarks are expensive (at least for me anyway lol )

you might try Doug he tends to know about these things... but Campbell's remarks are pretty costly something like $1500 US

I've never asked for a sketch personally from him I'd be curious to know how much they are considering his remarks are expensive (at least for me anyway lol )

Yeah, $1,500 would be a little out of the question (maybe), but the sketches in Paris were in the range of 300 EURO.

I just don't want to buy something out there, but directly from him, so just asking around. Remarks are nice, but they were indeed expensive and, in my opinion, a sketch is so much better. Still, a remark would be nice if he agrees to.

Yeah, $1,500 would be a little out of the question (maybe), but the sketches in Paris were in the range of 300 EURO.

I just don't want to buy something out there, but directly from him, so just asking around. Remarks are nice, but they were indeed expensive and, in my opinion, a sketch is so much better. Still, a remark would be nice if he agrees to.

Really depends on the detail of the sketch. I've seen seen a JSC sketch on blanks sell for as high as $2500. Your price point of $300-$400 range for a JSC sketch will be very difficult, not when some remarks are already selling for $1000

Edited by jreezy

Really depends on the detail of the sketch. I've seen seen a JSC sketch on blanks sell for as high as $2500. Your price point of $300-$400 range for a JSC sketch will be very difficult, not when some remarks are already selling for $1000

Yeah, it depends on the possibility of getting in contact directly with him. I know his remarks sell for that or more, but it's because of the re-sellers. I might be able to go way up, but need to evaluate the chance. I liked his sketches from Paris in that range of price, but I know it's a long shot.

he doesn't often go to Mexico often for cons, so he maybe willing to sketch for fans there, like he did at Paris.

Yes! That is exactly what I'm looking for. Last time I saw him was in 2000... he wasn't the bomb he is today. I wish I had more money back then and knew more of his art... just a high school brat =P

Pound for Pound from a quality bang for the buck perspective, buying original published artwork seems to be a better buy both as a fan and as an investment compared to the remarks.

Sure, a published cover starts at $5k, generally navigates the $6-8k range, and with the more popular characters can go for $10-15k+, but when you look at a "remark" with a simple head sketch, regardless of CGC grading, personally I'd rather have one quality cover over 10-20 quantity remarks, as a collector - - as well as from a long term perspective.

He can crank out more and more sketches and remarks of varied detail and quality, but with published art it's iconic and recognizable with greater prestige as that one of a kind grail.

So, in a way, when you look at the remarks and sketches, if they're truly selling for those $1-2k prices, his published artwork might indeed be the true steal of a deal today and could be underpriced in comparison, and maybe should be priced starting at least at $10k and averaging $20k

Pound for Pound from a quality bang for the buck perspective, buying original published artwork seems to be a better buy both as a fan and as an investment compared to the remarks.

Sure, a published cover starts at $5k, generally navigates the $6-8k range, and with the more popular characters can go for $10-15k+, but when you look at a "remark" with a simple head sketch, regardless of CGC grading, personally I'd rather have one quality cover over 10-20 quantity remarks, as a collector - - as well as from a long term perspective.

He can crank out more and more sketches and remarks of varied detail and quality, but with published art it's iconic and recognizable with greater prestige as that one of a kind grail.

So, in a way, when you look at the remarks and sketches, if they're truly selling for those $1-2k prices, his published artwork might indeed be the true steal of a deal today and could be underpriced in comparison, and maybe should be priced starting at least at $10k and averaging $20k

Most of his marvel art now starts at least in the 10-15 range for minor characters. If it's spider man it starts at 20. If it's a team shot of characters expect to pay more.

The savage land prints oa from sdcc this year sold at over 50 for the 3. Sold as set only.

The Mary Jane iron spider cover was 25

The recent champions 1 cover is currently 18

The unpublished riri was 12

The dark knight cover was 20

The Harley Quinn cover was 20

The Spider-Man cover set from midtown was over 60 - MJ, Villians, Black Cat. Sold as set only.

Spidergwen 1 was 18/rupps variant was 12

So anything popular and marvel/DC in the 6-10 range should be bought up fast. (Not x-factor/nova)

Most of his marvel art now starts at least in the 10-15 range for minor characters. If it's spider man it starts at 20. If it's a team shot of characters expect to pay more.

The savage land prints oa from sdcc this year sold at over 50 for the 3. Sold as set only.

The Mary Jane iron spider cover was 25

The recent champions 1 cover is currently 18

The unpublished riri was 12

The dark knight cover was 20

The Harley Quinn cover was 20

The Spider-Man cover set from midtown was over 60 - MJ, Villians, Black Cat. Sold as set only.

Spidergwen 1 was 18/rupps variant was 12

So anything popular and marvel/DC in the 6-10 range should be bought up fast. (Not x-factor/nova)

Some of these prices are :ohnoez: the savage land piece has amazing art. thanks for sharing the info Doug. Interesting to see these OA numbers

Yeah the savage land item was great. I offered the 50 for it but lost out on it to another collector.

Woah, bummer you we're beat out for that savage land piece. I thought the riri cover would've sold for more given the "controversy".

Edited by jreezy