• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

The official J Scott Campbell Appreciation/Discussion Thread
12 12

4,765 posts in this topic

I went on a J Scott Campbell art book buying splurge.  Here's some quick recommendations...

Lineology - Buy it.  Great book that shows great b&w inks and drawings.

Sketchbooks (1, 2, 3, 4) - Buy it.  Great pencil drawings.

Code (insert color) - Skip.  Some of the artwork are "eh" at best.

Marvel Art - Skip.  Just another version of the "Code" books.

Danger Girl Sketchbook (Hardcover) - Buy it.  Shows his earlier works and how he breaks down concepts.

***Buy it off his website for the best prices.  You can find used ones for cheaper but it isn't that expensive buying new.

1 minute ago, Praxis52 said:

I'm normally all in with JSC Exclusives, but I'm going to pass on this one.  It seems kinda "meh" to me.   Will wait for the next JSC announcement.

Really?  I'll admit, I like the JSC X-Men Gold better, but I'm happier with these than many of his recent efforts.  I'm in.

5 hours ago, Polirer said:

As far as long term value, are JSC store exclusives or ratio variants or other store exclusives the way to go? Which gain value over the years?

Ratio, hand's down. I'd say exclusives hold their value, but not much more. In general, that's true for all artists though.

Higher print run, higher prices (compared to ones pre X-Men Gold) and now the discount code is down from 15% to 10%.

This will probably be my last order from the store. Been buying from him for over a decade.

Edited by Anfield Fox

Really love that Cover B design...wish it was an option to just purchase that one.

Last release, for the first time, I only purchased unsigned copies, and am definitely going this route again...and it might just be covers A and B.

Im with you guys. I feel like a fish on a hook at this point. We just had some come out last weekend. I liked those. While I kinda like these (especially the middle classic one), the higher price/run and fact that its just a week after I spent on his other set just makes me think twice about it. I need to start being more selective on his stuff. I like his covers, but sometimes the collecting gets in the way of getting something that I actually like.

Edited by kevhtx

I agree that he is starting to be a little pricey.  I like the fact that there are multiple covers but I don't like how they are basically the same image with a different digital overlay.  It makes me feel a little cheated.  I'm starting to really like Tyler Kirkham's art more than J Scott Campbell and his prices are more reasonable.  However Campbell is still the best at drawing a female. 

11 hours ago, Califelix said:

The XMEN Blue has a much higher print run than the Xmen Gold...

20% increase in print run. 5% less of a discount. I might hold off on these now that I think about it. I like them & my X-Men completism is driving me nuts & screaming "BUY ME" but I don't know.

56 minutes ago, Doktor said:

20% increase in print run. 5% less of a discount. I might hold off on these now that I think about it. I like them & my X-Men completism is driving me nuts & screaming "BUY ME" but I don't know.

I feel your pain! Lol. I said the same thing to myself. He's becoming really hard to keep up with. Especially the cgc route, the ocd in me wants the whole set. That's 9 books in the last month.