• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

The official J Scott Campbell Appreciation/Discussion Thread
12 12

4,765 posts in this topic

2 minutes ago, Doktor said:

I snagged 1 unsigned set. I'm not specing them tho. Just for the personal collection. 

I usually buy one for PC, sell the other to offset at least some of the cost.

I also do this to give me a bit of a better chance to get a NM/M.

Edited by kevhtx

4 minutes ago, kevhtx said:

I snagged 2 unsigned sets. I bet those go within an hour or 2.

I did exactly the same.  I know Rich Henn was planning on 10 sets for CGC SS treatment.  JSC has an incentive variant coming up for X-Men Gold 3, which I've also got on order.  Hoping it's as good as these.  

Edited by pkpickard
(Edited because my use of personal pronouns was confusing.)

Just now, kevhtx said:

I usually buy one for PC, sell the other to offset cost.

+1

I contemplated doing that but opted not to. I prefer just buying my personal collection copies tho. 

The complete sets are nice, 'tho I wonder with all of the character manipulation / changes on the covers, what the actual original artwork looks like in terms of overlays / patches since many of the central characters remain the same in common where others change.

20 minutes ago, aka Rick1 said:

The complete sets are nice, 'tho I wonder with all of the character manipulation / changes on the covers, what the actual original artwork looks like in terms of overlays / patches since many of the central characters remain the same in common where others change.

It's digital I'm sure.

8 hours ago, ygogolak said:

It's digital I'm sure.

I don't know if it's digital.... if you look at JSC's Facebook page or twitter.... you see some pictures of sketches for those three covers.....

If I was a superstar artist with nothing else to do all day, I would be doing three cover sketch toohm

1 hour ago, combiner11 said:

I don't know if it's digital.... if you look at JSC's Facebook page or twitter.... you see some pictures of sketches for those three covers.....

If I was a superstar artist with nothing else to do all day, I would be doing three cover sketch toohm

Yes, usually they sketch out the idea by hand. They need that for approval anyway.

Likely the major differences in the line work is a mixture of pencil/pen & digital. Like Wolverine/Old Man Logan's head/torso (mask vs no mask, jacket vs spandex) were scanned at different phases & stuff was digitally colored & changed then, while JSC finished doing additional line work as it went & stuff was photoshopped together. I don't know if there'd ever be "TRUE" original art for this since there's different changes in line work throughout. Some that are different on every single one & some that don't change at all except for minor variations that are also still probably done via digital coloring. 

For instance: Rachel's cloak in the current era team vs no cloak on the 80's and a different mask & hair & no spikes in the 70's. Colossus with shoulder pads vs no shoulder pads. Kitty's 3 different hair styles. Even Storm's face/eyes looks slightly different on the  80's version than the current & the 70's. In addition to the totally different hair style. Almost like a different head was drawn for the 80's version and photoshopped in place of the one for the current & the 70's versions. Hell, the only 2 that really didn't change are Colossus (except for the shoulder pads) and Nightcrawler (slight change in his hair on the current vs the other 2)

A lot of it is probably just changed during the digital coloring process, but some appear to need totally separate line work.