• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

The official J Scott Campbell Appreciation/Discussion Thread
12 12

4,767 posts in this topic

I wonder how many lurkers that read this thread? Cgc collectors are such a niche market, does anyone think that discussing books on the boards impacts the market that much? Serious question.

There are other comic book forums out there that have more posters and sees more traffic. Is cgc that influential? If so, sheep mentality is crazy.

I've been having the same feeling. Like the minute a book gets mentioned here, it starts to jump. And Jump. And JUMP until it's in the stratosphere all of a sudden.

I wonder how many lurkers that read this thread? Cgc collectors are such a niche market, does anyone think that discussing books on the boards impacts the market that much? Serious question.

There are other comic book forums out there that have more posters and sees more traffic. Is cgc that influential? If so, sheep mentality is crazy.

I've been having the same feeling. Like the minute a book gets mentioned here, it starts to jump. And Jump. And JUMP until it's in the stratosphere all of a sudden.

This is a pretty easy observation that this thread has influenced the market and on multiple accounts. Now you are seeing it in the Dell'Otto too.

I hate to even discuss a newer Campbell after this before I purchase but the X-Men 92 variant he did looks good.

I think a lot of people know about that upcoming one. Newer releases aren't the issue. Think it's the older variants .

I hate to even discuss a newer Campbell after this before I purchase but the X-Men 92 variant he did looks good.

I think a lot of people know about that upcoming one. Newer releases aren't the issue. Think it's the older variants .

Nope, new ones too. This thread is the reason Silk #3 blew up. If it is released through regular means at you local store (comic shop 1:25/50 ect) the tax is added at posting.

And for sure the eBay presales hurt too, being only a few brave people willing to risk a canceled transaction due to diamond damage, they "set the market" and everyone follows. There is no way to tell if it's a shill (majority are people who read this board) and people profit.

At the end of the day, a collector who feels burnt by this, will eventually quit chasing if priced out.

Good grief, it is the 90s all over.

Edited by UltraMaximus

Nope, new ones too. This thread is the reason Silk #3 blew up. If it is released through regular means at you local store (comic shop 1:25/50 ect) the tax is added at posting.

And for sure the eBay presales hurt too, being only a few brave people willimg to risk a canceled transaction due to diamond damage, they "set the market" and everyone follows. Tjere is no way to tell if it's a shill (majority are people who read this board) and people profit.

At the end of the day, a collector who feels burnt by this, will eventually quit chasing if priced out.

Really? I preordered the 2 copies of silk 3 for $12 each. I know it was going for over $100 the week it released but I think the prices have fallen quite a bit.

I am a die hard Campbell collector... Granted I don't have the few monster books like 510 sketch, wolverine, or siege... Only because I don't have that kind of money... But if there is a book I just found out about my first instinct is to share it here with you guys... Then I wake up and make sure I secure a copy first... I know the Black Panther Sketch was talked about briefly... But I made sure not to ever speak of it again until I had one... I've got a couple of books I'm eyeing up right now but am afraid to mention them... Especially now with what happened with X-infernus...

There's been a few $20 raw sales of Marvel Divas #1 in the last month and why not, it's a great cover

http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_sacat=0&_sop=1&_nkw=marvel%20divas%201%20campbell&LH_Complete=1&rt=nc&_trksid=p2045573.m1684

I just secured 4 copies. Hope they are good, and you weren't lying, 22K Sales confirmed through comichron. That's low for a JSC regular cover, and with Spectrum and Captain Marvel getting some love lately, maybe if Firestar takes off in popularity, we might see this book do something.

And for sure the eBay presales hurt too, being only a few brave people willing to risk a canceled transaction due to diamond damage, they "set the market" and everyone follows. There is no way to tell if it's a shill (majority are people who read this board) and people profit.

Really? I preordered the 2 copies of silk 3 for $12 each. I know it was going for over $100 the week it released but I think the prices have fallen quite a bit.

That is part of the problem. I couldn't even pre-order it fast enough to secure a copy because of the news breaking on the book. And it has not calmed down, people still want too much for them, and a 9.8 finally hit eBay at $400 obo. I want to offer him $150 but I know, his greed would decline the offer because someone else will pay it.

I am a die hard Campbell collector... Granted I don't have the few monster books like 510 sketch, wolverine, or siege... Only because I don't have that kind of money... But if there is a book I just found out about my first instinct is to share it here with you guys... Then I wake up and make sure I secure a copy first... I know the Black Panther Sketch was talked about briefly... But I made sure not to ever speak of it again until I had one... I've got a couple of books I'm eyeing up right now but am afraid to mention them... Especially now with what happened with X-infernus...

Forums are great to discuss, share info about books. It has good and bad, but I like your approach.

Forums are great to discuss, share info about books. It has good and bad, but I like your approach.

I kinda feel like instead of sharing here on the forum right off the bat... I should just pm the contributors of the thread "hey guys, checkout this book"... And there's the solution... Just have a group pm about cool Campbell variants and then when we have all secured our copies we can talk about it publicly here lol...

I kinda feel like instead of sharing here on the forum right off the bat... I should just pm the contributors of the thread "hey guys, checkout this book"... And there's the solution... Just have a group pm about cool Campbell variants and then when we have all secured our copies we can talk about it publicly here lol...

I actually do that with some people I'm cool with on Instagram or social networking sites. I DM pepple directly if I want to tell them about a deal for a book or discuss prices I have paid for books. I like to keep what I paid private for the most part private unless we are cool like that.

I actually do that with some people I'm cool with on Instagram or social networking sites. I DM pepple directly if I want to tell them about a deal for a book or discuss prices I have paid for books. I like to keep what I paid private for the most part private unless we are cool like that.

I just love JSC... Sure a few of the girls look the same with a tweek here or there... But I just want to share what I find without the repercussions of showing the cover of a book with a smaller print run... Next thing you know the book explodes.... That's not the purpose of this thread in my mind... actually I just wish dscott would have taken me up on the adoption offer... Because if I shave my beard I look 22...